Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonchar deal 'in the works', but not tonite

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=74663

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Smells like Lacroix.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Mar 2 2004, 09:55 PM
      Smells like Lacroix.
      With the Blues all but out of it, I'd like to see that. Avs-Wings appears to be the Red Sox-Yankees of the NHL. Good rivalry.
      "My name is Pussy Galore."
      "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

Yes folks, this is high stakes poker.

And Larry is playing Go Fish.
        LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Originally posted by DC Santana@Mar 2 2004, 10:21 PM
          Yes folks, this is high stakes poker.

And Larry is playing Go Fish.
          Actually, isn't Pleau just playing with himself?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated+Mar 2 2004, 10:35 PM-->
            QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Mar 2 2004, 10:35 PM)

Damn if the Avs get Gonchar...wow...I'm just speechless

an Avs/Wings showdown will be something to watch
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

The locals should have had Gonchar in 1996.
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 3 2004, 08:40 AM
                The locals should have had Gonchar in 1996.
                True,

And now he'd be making about $8 million a year.
                LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

At least he'd be good.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

I'm not usually into the whole "rumor" mix, but I saw this at another board from a very reliable source (Nick Papagiorgio @ BNF). He's nailed things in the past with the team and has legit sources...
                    Greetings and salutations !!

Thanks to all those who gave me a nice welcome back. I was not sure if some of you would remember me.

I also want to say that my source was right (surprise, surprise). I laughed at him when he said the small market Canadiens were interested in Kovalev, but I guess tonight's events proved he was right.

But let us not waste any time and jump right in as I burn the midnight oil:

? First, to answer some questions posed earlier in this thread…

To answer Gosha83’s question about why the Blues would want Leetch, it was very simple: Pleau is interested in finding a replacement for MacInnis, and he likes Leetch because of his ties to the Rangers and Team USA. Among general managers, Leetch probably does not have a bigger fan than Pleau.

Nsane2Bme mentioned the giant hole on defense after injuries that I did not cite as something rival GMs were critical of Pleau. Most of my sources do not hold Pleau responsible for that, as injuries befall all teams and it would have been virtually impossible to replace players of the quality of Jackman and MacInnis. But my friend with the Capitals confirmed to me last night that Pleau could have had Gonchar a month ago, at around the time Jagr was moved, but Pleau dragged his feet on moving a “forward prospect” the Capitals wanted. McPhee got tired of waiting, and pulled the offer off the table. The source would not tell who that prospect is other than he is still in juniors. If Pleau were to come back and offer that “forward prospect” now, he would have no chance on Gonchar as the bidding has far surpassed those levels.

? Now for the new info, and let me stress, this is info gathered earlier this evening, before the Blues went out and lost to the Flames. I do not know what affect if any the latest defeat has had on this information:

? The Blues were interested in Kovalev, but the Rangers were seeking Alexei Shkotov and Pleau does not want to move him. Kovalev went to Montreal tonight.

? My Northwest Division source: “If the Blues sell, Demitra might be the most coveted scoring winger after Kovalev. Once Kovalev goes, the Blues may be able to command a bit of a bounty for him. But teams are leery of him, because he is not a big game player.” I have been told Detroit would not be interested in him because they feel he is not tough enough for a two month playoff grind. I was also told a lesser playoff team, such as Nashville, Calgary, Los Angeles, or even the Islanders may try for him.

I ask you my friends, what do you think the Blues can get for Demitra from those teams?

? I have received conflicting reports on Chris Pronger. My Blues source is adamant that he will not be traded, but an Eastern Conference source is just as adamant that his team has held discussions with the Blues about acquiring Pronger. Another source in the East cautions that if the Blues cannot trade Tkachuk or Weight by the end of June will set up an icy scenario: the Blues will likely be forced to not qualify Pronger as a restricted free agent. Unless ownership is willing to have a huge payroll again, which is unlikely with the CBA coming up and the potential lockout, this could theoretically happen. It is still Pleau’s intention to re-sign him, but he may not be able to do it if Tkachuk and Weight are still around. The Pronger situation could get messy, folks.

? If the Blues do move him, I am told that “the whole league” will be after him. When I asked what “the whole league” means, I was given a list of the following teams: Red Wings, Avalanche, Stars, Sharks, Kings, Canucks, Blackhawks, Coyotes, Mighty Ducks, Wild, Maple Leafs, Flyers, Bruins, Devils, Lightning, Islanders, Canadiens and (out of breath) the Rangers. Says the source: “Only the really small budget teams will not be interested, because Pronger is the most valuable commodity in the league among the high priced players.”

? Ottawa, Calgary and Montreal are believed interested in landing either Drake or Mellanby, but Pleau rebuffed them for the time being since he is not sure of what direction he will take. The Senators and Canadiens want a little more grit up front and the Flames are seeking a veteran who has been through the wars to provide leadership to their young team. Maybe Pleau called them back after the loss to Calgary?

? I took a straw poll of eleven sources about what the Blues should do at the deadline, and all 11 said they should be sellers. Ten of them said they should undergo a complete overhaul.

? Pierre Lacroix is the happiest man in the league that Quenneville was fired. He very much wants Quenneville to be the next coach of the Avalanche. The question is whether or not he will make a change now or wait until a later date. He knows if he sticks it out with Granato this season that Quenneville will likely be hired somewhere else while the Avalanche are still alive in the playoffs, so he has worked proactively in trying to secure Quenneville’s services. An agreement could be announced soon, but it is no done deal. Quenneville is not sure if he wants to “jump back in” this quickly and may prefer to wait out the year so he can spend the rest of the school year with his children in St. Louis. Lacroix is not sure if the time is right to replace Granato. Lacroix feels that Quenneville is the man to win a Cup, and it is not Quenneville’s fault that he had the inferior goalie in all save one (no pun intended) of his playoff series behind the Blues bench (this is Lacroix’s opinion, according to a Colorado source).

? The Blues have had talks with the Islanders, presumed to be about Mark Parrish and Jason Blake.

? As I mentioned last week, Boston may be interested in Weight, as they need a second center behind Thornton. Would the Blues be willing to take back Samsonov as part of the deal? The Bruins would have to give up some salary for it to happen and Samsonov is the guy they would probably offer. But will Weight waive his no-trade clause for the Bruins? I also mentioned Toronto and they are very much a possibility if they move Antropov in a different deal. But if they don’t have Antropov to send back to the Blues, Pleau may not be interested.

? Do not look now, but Pleau is talking to the Penguins and two of the three players I have heard he is interested in are former Blues: Eastwood and Bergevin. The third is Tarnstrom, whom he sees as the powerplay quarterback to replace MacInnis’ offense (which could mean Leetch is too pricey for him).

? There is a considerable amount of interest in Weinrich and Baron, mainly from the low-level playoff teams. Weinrich probably will not waive his no-trade clause, unless it is for Vancouver. Those same low-level playoff teams will be after guys like Brad Bombardir and Lyle Odelein.

? Atlantic Division source: “If Brian Burke is really a lame-duck GM, Blues ownership would be crazy not to bring him in. He knows how to build a winning, exciting team on a limited budget. I know they just signed Pleau to a new deal, but ownership would be crazy to not pursue Burke if he doesn’t re-up in Vancouver.” I have heard whispers that the Bruins are very interested in Burke also.

? Gonchar could be moved any minute now, and it is down to the Avalanche and Maple Leafs, unless some other team jumps in at the last minute. I still cannot get a read on whether Kolzig would be part of a deal to either team, as both teams need backup goalies.

? The teams hottest on Leetch’s trail right now are the Stars, Devils, Flyers, and Bruins, but the Colorado/Toronto loser in the Gonchar sweepstakes could jump in, and I am told that if Colorado gets involved, Detroit will too.

? Alexei Zhitnik’s name will be a hot one over the next week. Every playoff contender will be interested, except maybe Detroit and the winner of the Gonchar derby. That does notmean he is a lock to move, though. The same holds true for Sean Hill.

? Lou Lamoriello is unsure what to do about his defense because Scott Stevens has begun light workouts in trying to return for one last Cup run in his incredible career. If he is sure of Stevens return, he might back off Leetch and instead focus on middle-level guys like Hill and Zhitnik. How Stevens progresses in the next week could be the deciding factor in what the Devils do with their defense.

? I mentioned last week that the Ducks aren’t moving Carney unless someone knocks their socks off, but that has not stopped teams from inquiring. Everyone remembers how well he played in the Ducks run to the finals last year and teams are hoping he can bring that same play and leadership to their team. For now though, Carney is still staying put. Anaheim and Tampa Bay are still talking about a deal sending Prospal back to the Lightning.

? Glen Sather has auctioned off Kovalev and remains unsure about what to do with Leetch and Messier. I was told he held “extensive” talks with the Sharks about moving Petr Nedved, but San Jose hung up when he asked for Jonathan Cheechoo.

? All of the big dollar teams are calling about Ryan Smyth. Detroit very much wants him, as the post-CBA replacement for Shanahan.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

If the whole league would be after Pronger, it's probably a good idea to keep him.

The GM that follows Pleau will need him.

Comment

Good grief.

Larry dragging his feet again and not sure what he wants to do.

This guy is killing me.
                        LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

(I don't follow the Blues -- or hockey at all, really....)

This guy seems like a great source of rumors, which is pretty cool.

Are the Blues seriously going to keep Pleau around?
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

One more thing.

If Pronger is allowed to become a UFA because the Blues do not make a qualifying offer next summer.........

"I am going to blame the people in this organization, and that I cannot forgive."
                            LONG LIVE THE NOTE!

Comment

Working...
                            X