Killington residents vote to secede from Vermont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killington residents vote to secede from Vermont

The main source of discontent is Vermont's new system of financing education, adopted in 1997 on orders from the state Supreme Court. It dramatically increased property taxes in wealthy communities like Killington.

KILLINGTON, Vermont (AP) -- Voting with a thunderous "aye," residents endorsed a plan Tuesday for this ski resort town to secede from Vermont and become a part of New Hampshire instead.

The overwhelming voice vote opened the next chapter in what could be a long and costly push to join New Hampshire, 25 miles to the east.

Ultimately, the vote could prove to be only symbolic. State lawmakers in New Hampshire and Vermont will have the final say. And Vermont legislators said secession will probably be voted down.

Town officials said about two-thirds of the 200 to 300 people who attended the town meeting supported secession.

The main source of discontent is Vermont's new system of financing education, adopted in 1997 on orders from the state Supreme Court. It dramatically increased property taxes in wealthy communities like Killington.

Secession activists say Killington's restaurants, inns and other businesses send $20 million a year to Montpelier in sales, room and meal taxes, while the state returns just $1 million in municipal and education aid to the town of roughly 1,000 residents.

"The state is treating us like a cash-cow," said David Lewis, town manager.

Town officials will now draft a petition to present to New Hampshire Gov. Craig Benson and the state's Legislature. Lewis said town officials want New Hampshire's approval before approaching Vermont's lawmakers.

Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Good for them.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Congress will have the final say.

The states have to agree, and then Congress has to agree.

Death to secessionists.

-- The Rail Splitter

Comment

In related news: Rich people in the US voted to seceed and form their own country called "Notaxasia"

But then they backed down once they realized that they'd have nothing else to bitch about.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Yeah, they pay no taxes now.

I'm sure you'd bitch too if someone constantly had their hand in your pocket. It's people like you that make me not really care about "outsourcing".
          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 2 2004, 04:28 PM
            Yeah, they pay no taxes now.

I'm sure you'd bitch too if someone constantly had their hand in your pocket. It's people like you that make me not really care about "outsourcing".
            So you think that the government doesn't have their hands in my pocket?

When you get a chance, I'd like you to come visit me in reality. It's an amazing thing to see for the first time.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of:
            MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
            The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel+Mar 2 2004, 04:31 PM-->
              QUOTE(BringBackZezel @ Mar 2 2004, 04:31 PM)

I would think the government has its hands sufficiently in ALL our pockets.

Except Slow Groove's, maybe, since he's black and therefore poor.

Comment

Burlington, Vt. (AP) -- In response to a vote by the citizens of Killington to secede from the state, the Vermont governor declared war on the state of Killington and sent in the National Guard. All bank accounts will be frozen and all male adults will be imprisoned until, the governor says, "I get tired of messing with them."
                "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan@Mar 2 2004, 04:40 PM
                  Burlington, Vt. (AP) -- In response to a vote by the citizens of Killington to secede from the state, the Vermont governor declared war on the state of Killington and sent in the National Guard. All bank accounts will be frozen and all male adults will be imprisoned until, the governor says, "I get tired of messing with them."
                  Build a Greek temple in honor of that Governor! Whoever he is.

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Mar 2 2004, 04:38 PM
                    I would think the government has its hands sufficiently in ALL our pockets.

Except Slow Groove's, maybe, since he's black and therefore poor.
                    SlowGroove's buddy had his hand "in his pocket" too.
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Are you implying SG kisses boys on the lips?

Comment

This sets a bad precedence. If they allow this, any city in any state can vote themselves into another state if they get tired of their present state.

I wonder if we can vote Joplin out of Missouri and give it to Oklahoma or Kansas?
                        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 2 2004, 09:07 PM
                          This sets a bad precedence. If they allow this, any city in any state can vote themselves into another state if they get tired of their present state.
                          Are you kidding, Razzy? What is so bad about that?

I'm being serious.

Comment

I'd love to declare St. Louis to be part of Tennessee.

Folks in Nashville know what to do about tax-hiking lying pols.
                            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Working...
                            X