Possible Sponsorships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Sponsorships

Haven't seen an updated list - and am not sure how recently the list has been updated - but here are a few still at large (I think) who might be interesting to have.

Among the pitchers, I'm not sure Matt Morris has been taken yet. He was mine last season, but I have set myself a greater challenge this year by taking Mr. Suppan under my wing. So I think Morris is still at large.

Also, I think Evan Rust has not been claimed. He, you will remember, is the hurler obtained for Tino. He may start the season in the minors, but I get a feeling we'll see him in the show (maybe out of desperation) before the season is out.

Similarly, two young hitters that may be factors before the season is over. John Gall and Yadier Molina (the latter is, supposedly, the catcher of the future). Both are close enough that I expect them to debut in the bigs this year.

And, finally, for someone who loves a real challenge, I notice that Wilson Delgado is among the non-roster invitees. If he's around, you just know he'll make the squad. As I say, this one for brave sponsors only.

If I have erroneously advertised players who are already taken, I apologize. I don't remember seeing any of these names in anyone's sig lines (which, of course, is not always definative).

First come, first serve, I guess
    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

I could take Wilson Delgado, if that doesn't interfere with my Bakoing.
    Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

I can't believe that Wilson Delgado is a member of the St Louis Cardinals again.

Just when we think that it can't get any worse.
      Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Mar 2 2004, 03:57 PM
        I could take Wilson Delgado, if that doesn't interfere with my Bakoing.
        Why is this so hard to get through to you. c*bs fans can't sponsor Cardinal players. It's like the only rule there is to this thing.

Stick with Bako (who, by the way, usually hits 2 home runs per season - so I think you've underestimated your boy a bit). If you can keep him away from the Bartman's of the world, you will be doing fine.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_w+Mar 2 2004, 04:59 PM-->
          QUOTE(joe_w @ Mar 2 2004, 04:59 PM)

Joe,

Not understanding stuff seems to be a thing with hiim today. He wants me to let him have a cub celebration day or something like that.

Laughable.

(and 'laughable' is meant to be said like Damtoft says stuff)
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Mar 2 2004, 05:02 PM-->
            QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Mar 2 2004, 05:02 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 2 2004, 04:59 PM

I want Sanders.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Mar 2 2004, 05:36 PM
              I want Sanders.
              already taken
              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

can I have one if it is that one guy that no one wants

Reggie Sanders or something like that.

Can I have him at least?
                Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

If Morris isn't taken, I'll take him. He needs all the help he can get. Trust me, I know.

Comment

I want Y. Molina!

Yippee!

Comment

Originally posted by joe_w@Mar 2 2004, 03:50 PM
                      Haven't seen an updated list - and am not sure how recently the list has been updated - but here are a few still at large (I think) who might be interesting to have.

Among the pitchers, I'm not sure Matt Morris has been taken yet. He was mine last season, but I have set myself a greater challenge this year by taking Mr. Suppan under my wing. So I think Morris is still at large.

Also, I think Evan Rust has not been claimed. He, you will remember, is the hurler obtained for Tino. He may start the season in the minors, but I get a feeling we'll see him in the show (maybe out of desperation) before the season is out.

Similarly, two young hitters that may be factors before the season is over. John Gall and Yadier Molina (the latter is, supposedly, the catcher of the future). Both are close enough that I expect them to debut in the bigs this year.

And, finally, for someone who loves a real challenge, I notice that Wilson Delgado is among the non-roster invitees. If he's around, you just know he'll make the squad. As I say, this one for brave sponsors only.

If I have erroneously advertised players who are already taken, I apologize. I don't remember seeing any of these names in anyone's sig lines (which, of course, is not always definative).

First come, first serve, I guess
                      Hey joe, I think you may have missed Reggie Sanders, I don't think anyone has taken him yet.
                      RIP Stan the Man
                      The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                      I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Mar 2 2004, 05:02 PM
                        why can't I have a Cardinal, I could like a guy that does nothing like Delgado.

Bako hit none last year, so I'm setting reachable goals for him.
                        In the first place, while it is true that Bako hit no homers last year, he did hit four the year before and two in each of the three seasons prior to that. So two home runs really is about average for Bako.

I will try to explain this sponsorship thing to you again. Now, suppose in a moment of foolishness we should let you sponsor Delgado. Now, suppose that Delgado grounds into a clutch double play, or makes a critical error that costs the Cards a game.

Now, you and I both know that you'd have nothing to do with either the DP or the error. Nonetheless, everyone - myself included - would intuitively know that it was that smelly Bartman kharma that made it happen.

So, no, c*bs4never, there will be no Cardinal sponsorship for you. Never. Now, if you still want a day to remember a c*bs player, then maybe we can talk to CG. Obviously, we could never "celebrate" a c*bs player, but we could remember him.

We could, say, remember Sammy Sosa. And then everyone would write in with their favorite Sammy Sosa stories. You know, the day he watched Mark McGwire set the home run record against his team, the All Star game where Roger Clemens blew him away with three high fastballs, the day his bat broke and they found cork in it. Fun stuff like that.

Or we could take Alou, and remember how he was chasing down a foul ball in the championship series last year, etc.

We might be able to talk CG into something like that.

Why you should want that to happen is beyond me.

Comment

Although I have chosen not to participate this year, as a charter member of last years sponsorship program, I feel qualified to offer a few words of advice to those who are taking their maiden voyage in sponsorshipness. I am afraid that some folks may not realize what they are in for. This isn't easy. But if you keep two key ideas in mind, you'll get through it ok.

First, be Vigilant. Always be on on the lookout for someone bashing your player, either fairly or unfairly. Be on guard. Be paranoid, even. There are wolves out there, and your player is the sheep. You are the shephard. Tend your flock of one with Vigilance.

Second, be Diligent. Don't wait for someone to rip on your guy, go ahead and sing his praises without provocation. Sell his merits. Turn his (likely) many weaknesses into perceived strenghts (Example from last year by Damtoft: "My man Constantino can really motor!"). Extol his virtues until others are rolling their eyes and contemplating putting you on "ignore." Be a pest. And the best pests are Diligent.

There you have it, two key ideas: Vigilance and Diligence. The best sponsors have both attributes in spades. Vigilance and Diligence. Yes, the best sponsors, the most worthy sponsors, have VD.

Good luck to all.
                          I'm always right.

Comment

Working...
                          X