Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'A Beautiful Mind' Mathematician John Nash and Wife Killed in New Jersey Taxi Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'A Beautiful Mind' Mathematician John Nash and Wife Killed in New Jersey Taxi Crash

Tough news.

https://gma.yahoo.com/john-nash-beau...opstories.html

Princeton University mathematician and Nobel Prize winner John Nash, whose life was the subject of the film "A Beautiful Mind," was killed in a taxi crash along with his wife in New Jersey on Saturday.

Nash and Alicia Nash were in a taxi on the New Jersey Turnpike when the driver lost control and crashed into a guard rail, said New Jersey State Police Sgt. Gregory Williams. Nash was 86; his wife was 82.

Authorities don't believe Nash or his wife were wearing seat belts since they were both ejected from the taxi, said Williams. The couple lived in Princeton, New Jersey.

Nash won the Nobel Prize for Economics in 1994 and worked as a senior research mathematician at Princeton University.

His life story, including his struggles with paranoid schizophrenia, were portrayed by Russell Crowe in the 2001 film "A Beautiful Mind," which won four Oscars including Best Picture.

"Stunned...my heart goes out to John & Alicia & family. An amazing partnership. Beautiful minds, beautiful hearts," Crowe posted on Twitter today.

The Nashes also became recognized for their work in mental health care advocacy.

Earlier this week, Nash was in Norway to receive the Abel Prize for mathematics, according to NJ.com. The Abel Prize, awarded by the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, recognized his work on partial differential equations.
    Last edited by Bleacher Creature; 05-24-2015, 08:25 AM.
    Make America Great For Once.

Damn.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Yikes. Sad to hear this.

Story doesn't add up.
      25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
      Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

KGB finally got him. RIP

Comment

I wonder went through his mind during the crash.

"Damn, another annoying hallucination."
          "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

I like how the movie title dictates all of the movie headlines instead of the concept of the Nash equilibrium
            Billikens.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
              KGB finally got him. RIP
              Way too soon, but funny.
              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                Way too soon, but funny.
                I'll admit it; I lol'ed too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
                  KGB finally got him. RIP
                  That answers Jaws' question...

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

So how is the taxi driver? I mean, it's sad and all, but they were both well into theirs eighties. It's not like a tragic loss of a young life would be.
                    Did you all like Nancy? Yeah?
                    Know who else likes Nancy? My hard cock.

- Norm MacDonald

Official sponsor of Handsome John Pruitt

Comment

Originally posted by wad View Post
                      So how is the taxi driver? I mean, it's sad and all, but they were both well into theirs eighties. It's not like a tragic loss of a young life would be.
                      Thanks for the perspective. We all needed for it.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Bob Simon dies in a taxi (more like car service) wreck and these two...

And yet...Uber/Lyft is a problem...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Goes to prison for fucking an underage Jodie Foster.
                          Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                            Bob Simon dies in a taxi (more like car service) wreck and these two...

And yet...Uber/Lyft is a problem...
                            I always assume when I'm in a taxi I'm immune to this sort of stuff. Some of that has to do with me being drunk some of those times. The other I don't know. I guess I assume they are pros.

Many times I've Rocketed in a taxi in jersey in some shit box car and a cab driver paying attention to everything other than the road.

Comment

And how do we know he /she is/was young? I've seen quite a few taxi drivers in their sixties and maybe older.

And, I hate to sound cold hearted, but not every young person who losses their life is a tragedy.
                              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                              X