Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roenick: I will not retire

Roenick: I will not retire

Sportsnet.ca -- Don't count out J.R. just yet. Jeremy Roenick is heading back to Philadelphia Monday night with the full intention of resuming his career, Sportsnet has learned.

Roenick told Sportsnet that he has made some progress over the last few days and he will attempt light exercises Tuesday for the first time since suffering his Feb. 12 concussion

"I will not retire," Roenick said. "The last three or four days have been very good, my symptoms have calmed down. I'm convinced that the worst of my concussion problems are over."

The Flyers forward suffered a broken jaw and a concussion after he was drilled by a slapshot off the stick of New York Rangers defenceman Boris Mironov earlier this month. He said earlier that he was contemplating retirement because of the injury.

Roenick's jaw will be wired for another 2 ½ weeks and it is believed he will wear the same type of protective gear that Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic are wearing to protect his jaw.

Early last week, results of a second MRI showed that Roenick might have suffered an injury to the circulatory system in his brain and he was told to stay home in Phoenix. Roenick then underwent an arteriogram, a test in which dye was injected into his bloodstream to allow the circulatory system in his brain to be scanned. Dr. Tim Vollmer, Roenick's neurologist, told team doctors that nothing worrisome was found.
    Flyers lose Ragnarsson for a week

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Marcus Ragnarsson will be out a week to 10 days with an ailing shoulder, another injury to a Flyers defenceman.

Ragnarsson joins Eric Desjardins (arm) and Dennis Seidenberg (leg) on the sidelines. Philadelphia, tied for the lead in the Eastern Conference, is also without all-star centres Jeremy Roenick (jaw, concussion) and Keith Primeau (concussion). Philadelphia recalled John Slaney from the AHL's Philadelphia Phantoms to replace Ragnarsson.

"I'm probably going to start rehab tomorrow," Ragnarsson said. "Then I will be on a day-to-day basis. It's not as bad as it was before. I can skate right now but I can't do any contact."

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Good news about Roenick. The NHL needs more personalities like him. Hopefully some of the young guys can carry the Roenick/Hull torch.

Comment

I really didn't think he'd be out this long. :(

Primeau aiming for playoff return

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Flyers captain Keith Primeau worked out again Monday and hopes to return to Philadelphia's lineup before the end of the NHL's regular season.

Primeau has been sidelined since sustaining a concussion in a game against the New York Rangers on Feb. 12. Fellow all-star centre Jeremy Roenick also went down with a concussion and a broken jaw in that game, and his status for the rest of the season is uncertain.

``I really don't know where I am at,'' Primeau said Monday. ``I'd have to say this is the most frustrating thing I have ever been through, because I really don't know how to gauge where I am at.

``I have good days and think I am making progress, then only to fall flat on my face the next day. It's really discouraging.''

Primeau will be examined by a doctor later this week and could be cleared to increase his exercise.

``I don't know if and when I get the green light to push a little harder how long it will take me to get any kind of conditioning I lost back,'' Primeau said. ``It's going to take me a couple of days.

``I can definitely say I feel that I have made progress.''

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

EXCELLENT!

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Would clark be interested in Tkachuk, Weight or Pronger?
          \'user\'user\'user
          Sponsor of Mee-Shay, Dante Culpepper & Marian Gaborik
          proud sponsor of ball-magnet

Comment

Working...
          X