Bernie's column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie's column

The most important thing the Cardinals organization can do over the next two or three seasons is handle its pitching prospects with care, and give them every chance to thrive at the big-league level.
    Anybody holding their breath?
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Handle with care - thrive at big league level.

Is Berne advocating throwing Haren and Narveson into the fire?

Or keep them at AAA?

Vagueness rules when you want to rock someone's world.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Good question.

I don't see LaRussa changing his reliance on "proven" veterans, though.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

I think if the Cards are going to have to rely on young pitching from now on, that's reason enough to replace LaRussa and Duncan. They are the wrong guys to run a team based on that philosophy.

Not only do they prefer veterans, they don't ever seem to develop younger pitchers even when they have to.
        "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Agreed. They have never proven that they can scout and develop a young AAA pitcher YET. Morris was already here and on his way up before LaRussa and Jocketty got here. Besides Morris, there certainly isnt enough room for optimism when it comes to developing young pitchers here. And if they are intent on spending all their budget on position players, then they eventually MUST develop pitchers, cause there will be no money left to sign a Pedro Martinez or schilling or morris, god forbid we ever have enough money in our plan to do something like that.

Comment

Doesn't appear they're going to have a whole lot of choice much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesterfield Cat@Mar 1 2004, 09:24 PM
              Agreed. They have never proven that they can scout and develop a young AAA pitcher YET. Morris was already here and on his way up before LaRussa and Jocketty got here. Besides Morris, there certainly isnt enough room for optimism when it comes to developing young pitchers here. And if they are intent on spending all their budget on position players, then they eventually MUST develop pitchers, cause there will be no money left to sign a Pedro Martinez or schilling or morris, god forbid we ever have enough money in our plan to do something like that.
              Is that true? I thought Jocketty took Morris in his first draft.

Comment

Originally posted by Chesterfield Cat@Mar 1 2004, 09:24 PM
                That's not true. Morris came up after they got here.

However, they do suck at developing young pitchers.
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

They suck - period.
                  And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523+Mar 1 2004, 09:53 PM-->
                    QUOTE(kah2523 @ Mar 1 2004, 09:53 PM)

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 1 2004, 07:29 PM
                    Handle with care - thrive at big league level.

Is Berne advocating throwing Haren and Narveson into the fire?

Or keep them at AAA?

Vagueness rules when you want to rock someone's world.
                    Excellent.
                    I'm always right.

Comment

Working...
                    X