Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kordell cut

No surprise except for this statement from the GM:

"We decided to release Phillip and Kordell because it was in the best interest of all parties," Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said. "Our recent philosophical changes on offense and defense do not fit their skill sets as well as the previous systems did."
    I know of no one who thought Stewart's "skill set" matched Shoop's offense.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

I'll tell you this right now. IF something goes down and Warner and Bulger both aren't here, I'd love to see the Rams sign this guy as the backup. He would be pretty fun for the occasional crazy play.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 1 2004, 07:37 PM
      I'll tell you this right now. IF something goes down and Warner and Bulger both aren't here, I'd love to see the Rams sign this guy as the backup. He would be pretty fun for the occasional crazy play.
      SLU,

I don't know if the occasional crazy play trumps the more-than-occasional screw up.
      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

And for repeatedly missing wide open receivers...

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW+Mar 1 2004, 07:40 PM-->
          QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Mar 1 2004, 07:40 PM)

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 1 2004, 05:18 PM
          I know of no one who thought Stewart's "skill set" matched Shoop's offense.
          I don't think Kordell's "skill set" matches anyone's offense (at least not as a quarterback).

Actually, to be fair, he was VERY good the second half of 2001. I fully believe that the best regular season team of 2001 was not the Rams but was the Steelers.

I also think that if Kordell had decided to become a full-time wide receiver, he would've been one of the best of this era. He was THAT good at it.

Comment

Actually, to be fair, he was VERY good the second half of 2001. I fully believe that the best regular season team of 2001 was not the Rams but was the Steelers.
            They had one thing in common...

Comment

Yes they did.

Comment

Dev,

Back to Shoop.

Kordell always excelled on the move out of play action. Shoop's "offense" was predicated on quick, accurate horizontal passes that hit receivers in stride.

They never found a QB to run it effectively (mostly because Shoop never made adjustments, and defenses could key on plays based on the receivers' sets at the line) and Kordell and the offense looked like a mismatch from the start.

No surprise that Stewart struggled in Gilbride's offense and flourished under Mularkey's.

Comment

I agree with you about Shoop. He was pretty bad and I agree that Kordell was a complete misfit for it. Kordell needs to be in a very simple offense that emphasizes the run and downfield passing to be effective, and one that lets him move around a bit. Having watched every Steeler game from 1995-2001, I personally don't think he's a very good passer when he's on the run.

It'll be interesting to see how Bledsoe does after going from Gilbride to Mularkey. It worked quite well for Kordell, at least for a year.

Comment

I think Bledsoe will have a big year with Mularkey -- if he can stay upright.

I also think Gilbride's career as an NFL coordinator is over (unless some other team has already hired him--I haven't heard). Too many failures since those heady run-and-shoot days.

Comment

Working...
                    X