Errol Morris Fog of War Acceptance Speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errol Morris Fog of War Acceptance Speech

I'm glad at least one of the winners had the guts (like Michael Moore last year) to publicly criticize Bush's war. Errol Morris won the Oscar for Best Documentary for The Fog of War, which is a film based around an interview with Robert McNamara - one of the architects of the Viet Nam war. In the film, McNamara essentially describes all of the mistakes and deceptions that were made in the war, and the parallels to Iraq2 are chilling. Everyone should see the film, especially Rumsfeld and company.

"Forty years ago this country went down a rabbit hole in Vietnam and millions died. I fear we're going down a rabbit hole once again."
    Here's a good interview with Morris about the film
    http://www.salon.com/ent/feature/2004/02/2...rris/index.html

Q: Speaking of McNamara's role as a restraining force on the military, it's ironic -- today, in the Bush administration, the situation is reversed. It's the military commanders who are the voice of reason, and the civilians like Rumsfeld, Cheney, Wolfowitz and the others who are the crazies.

A: They're like cheerleaders. They're out there with short skirts and pompoms and letter sweaters, urging the country into war. The one military leader in a civilian post in the Bush administration [Colin Powell] has been marginalized because of his reluctance to go to war. It's ironic. It's even funny in a grim sort of way. And it's goddamn frightening.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

These people are more than welcome to have their opinons on politics...but whether I agree with them or not...I don't think the Academy Awards is the appropriate forum for them to be discussing their views.
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Memo to Sean Penn:

You already won.

You don't need to campaign anymore.

Sincerely,

The Public.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
      X