Anyone Seen "Runaway Jury"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Seen "Runaway Jury"?

I hate to even *sound* like one of those pseudo-intellectuals, but the book really is SOOOOO much better than the movie.

Maybe it wasn't a bad movie, but compared to the novel, it wasn't very good.

Any other Grisham fans in here?
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

I used to be.

Just started A Painted House.

Is it true they changed the industry on trial in for the movie?
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

The movie sucked. big time.

Books are always better.
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I agree to an extent, lazy, but I like the celluloid version of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest better than Kesey's book.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 1 2004, 06:21 PM
          I hate to even *sound* like one of those pseudo-intellectuals, but the book really is SOOOOO much better than the movie.

Winston, I used to be a Grisham fan but I gave up. A Time to Kill was excellent, but I thought that The Firm's ending was suspect, The Client was a lengthy deal where we knew what would happen (the boy would take the lawyer), The Rainmaker was good though unrealistic, and The Pelican Brief was good I suppose and the Partner didn't do much for me.

In your opinion, is The Runaway Jury worth reading in comparison to those others I mentioned? The plot sounded good.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

dvy6,

I know this is directed at Winston, but it was thoroughly entertaining read. Bubblegum, but fast and fun.

The Street Lawyer is pretty good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 1 2004, 06:41 PM
              dvy6,

I know this is directed at Winston, but it was thoroughly entertaining read. Bubblegum, but fast and fun.

The Street Lawyer is pretty good, too.
              Perfect for on the beach vacation, sounds like. I might have to pick it up.

I am actually working on The Da Vinci Code right now.
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 1 2004, 06:30 PM
                Is it true they changed the industry on trial in for the movie?
                Yes.

Tobacco industry in book, gun manufacturers in film.

I can only think they "updated" it for the film because of how hard the tobacco industry has been hit over the years.

Lame, though.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy@Mar 1 2004, 06:39 PM
                  In your opinion, is The Runaway Jury worth reading in comparison to those others I mentioned? The plot sounded good.
                  Yeah.

I think it was.

Better than Rainmaker which was way too unrealistic, along with some others.

His latest to hit paperback, "The King of Torts" was excellent, much much better than the previous one, "The Summons."

I will get his newest one, I think its called The Juror soon.

On a side note, I think his non-lawyer books are pretty good too.

I really, really enjoyed "Bleachers." It reminded me of my own life in many ways.

I think most folks on here would enjoy "Bleachers."

Comment

That surprises me.

I'm a big fan of both Cusack and Hackman. Thanks for the advice; I'll wait for it to hit the bargain rack.

Comment

Like I said, it might be a very good movie if you haven't read the book, but I couldn't get past all the changes (that I thought were for the worse).

Comment

Winston,

Have you read A Painted House?

It's starting out on a promising note.

Comment

No.

I never read it. For whatever reason, it just didn't strike me as something I'd enjoy reading.

I did see the Hallmark Hall of Fame movie based on the book, though, on CBS last year.

It was pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 1 2004, 06:21 PM

I'm a huge Grisham fan. I've read almost all of his books.

I started to read "Jury" three different times, and just couldn't get caught up in it.

Of course, now that the movie is out, you can't find the book at any of the libraries.

I'll get it and make myself read it now. I did the same with The Brethren. Just finished it a few weeks ago. Turned out to be a decent book.

I'll never see a Grisham-based movie before reading the book.

I read The Firm (first Grisham I'd read) before seeing the movie. I thought the movie was great. The book was 10 times better. And there was ALOT that was changed in the movie. Including the entire ending of the story.

The Client was the same way.

Winston,

Have you read Bleachers yet? Or the new one, The Last Juror?
                            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I never read it. For whatever reason, it just didn't strike me as something I'd enjoy reading.
                              The kid's sole reason for living is picking up Cards games on KMOX.

I felt the same way until my mother-in-law told me about that. So I picked it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X