• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody plan on getting a new iPhone?

iPhone 5C.
    16GB $99, 32GB $199 with contract.

iPhone 5S:

16GB $199, 32GB $299, 64GB $399 with contract.

Who's waiting in line for theirs?

Got a 5S last week...fucking thing cost $500. No contract...I felt violated.

Comment

Is there anything that much different with these new ones, other than the colors?
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi View Post
        How'd you do that? They were only announced this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
          Is there anything that much different with these new ones, other than the colors?
          The 5C is basically just a 5 in a plastic case to reduce BOM. Not much to see there, really.

The 5S is a little more interesting - they increased processor speed, went to 64 bit, and greatly improved the camera. That said, they're still a little behind on the tech curve - no NFC, for example. There is a new fingerprint scanner for security, which is kinda nice. The prices are fairly outrageous, but Apple has always been playing the high end anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
            How'd you do that? They were only announced this morning.
            I should say...when I got it..means I had to pay for it and wait 4 weeks for it to be delievered.

Comment

I got a five a few months after it came out...don't plan on a new one soon

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                I got a five a few months after it came out...don't plan on a new one soon
                I don't find it compelling, I must admit. If I was really interested in the camera, I'd probably get a Lumia 1020, which has a 41MP camera, rather than the iPhone 5S's 8MP one. Yes, the iPhone now has colored flash and bigger pixels, but I'm still just not seeing it as a replacement for an SLR.

The speed is kinda meaningless given that there's been no fundamental changes to make use of it (such as say, the Samsung Note's ability to run apps in multiple windows simultaneously). No 802.11ac, Apple's falling behind the curve there. And the price is still pretty damn stiff.

The reason I started the thread is that my wife was sure there'd be a huge surge of sales, and wanted me to buy some AAPL stock. Didn't do it, though.

Comment

I'm in the market for a new phone. I have the 4s. Should I stick with Apple? Or is there another phone I should give a try? I'm really not up on all this shit.

I should add that I can't even using F'ing iTunes anymore, as my work locks that shit out. A buddy was saying there's some type of Google music that I should look at? I"m such an idiot with these types of things.
                  Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

I don't find it compelling, I must admit. If I was really interested in the camera, I'd probably get a Lumia 1020, which has a 41MP camera, rather than the iPhone 5S's 8MP one. Yes, the iPhone now has colored flash and bigger pixels, but I'm still just not seeing it as a replacement for an SLR.

The speed is kinda meaningless given that there's been no fundamental changes to make use of it (such as say, the Samsung Note's ability to run apps in multiple windows simultaneously). No 802.11ac, Apple's falling behind the curve there. And the price is still pretty damn stiff.

The reason I started the thread is that my wife was sure there'd be a huge surge of sales, and wanted me to buy some AAPL stock. Didn't do it, though.
                    I've said it to you before (and I know you're not explicitly saying it): I really don't get buying a phone based on a camera...it's odd

Comment

That Apple charges $200 for a phone with a contract isn't too nuts... That their insurance deductibles cost twice any other phone is pretty stupid though.

"
                      Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi View Post
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by house77 View Post
                          I'm in the market for a new phone. I have the 4s. Should I stick with Apple? Or is there another phone I should give a try? I'm really not up on all this shit.

I should add that I can't even using F'ing iTunes anymore, as my work locks that shit out. A buddy was saying there's some type of Google music that I should look at? I"m such an idiot with these types of things.
                          iTunes is the biggest reason (since I don't have to pay the crazy prices) that I've never seriously considered going iPhone. If I were doing it today, I'd be buying either an HTC One or a Galaxy Note 3. Have a Note 2, and it's overall the most useful phone I've ever owned; I'd like to have the 802.11ac and the 1080p screen, though. Seriously, Micro-SD is definitely worthwhile. Used it to load my wife and son up with movies to watch. Also can finally afford to use the mobile hotspot a lot, given the very long battery life (22hrs talk time).

The HTC One is uber-cool as well - I have a lot of friends with them, and if I'd bought my Note 2 a few weeks later, I probably would have that instead.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                            I've said it to you before (and I know you're not explicitly saying it): I really don't get buying a phone based on a camera...it's odd
                            I want to see what the battery life going to be like with a 2x faster processor.

Comment

I want to see what the battery life going to be like with a 2x faster processor.
                              That's what I'd want to see, not whether or not I can take a picture of my dog for Instagram well...

Comment

Working...
                              X