Anyone else really happy that ROTK one all of

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else really happy that ROTK one all of

I am really happy for those guys. That was probably the biggest undertaking in motion picture history and for it to be of such high quality was very impressive. Probably some of the best film making of all time. Only downer of the night for me was Bill Muarry not winning. I think Penn will have other chances, probably not for Bill. Penn was very, very good. But I think Muarry should have won. Anyone have opinions.
    "They misunderestimated me."
    Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
    -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

I was extremely happy LOTR won. I thought Bill Murray looked exceedingly pissed off when they announced Sean Penn's name though.

Comment

Originally posted by Weird_English_Guy@Mar 1 2004, 03:32 PM
      I was extremely happy LOTR won. I thought Bill Murray looked exceedingly pissed off when they announced Sean Penn's name though.
      Didn't see it, but I was pissed. Bill Murray should have won.

Comment

Originally posted by Weird_English_Guy@Mar 1 2004, 03:32 PM
        I don't think he was pissed, I think he was sad. He probably was thinking along the same lines I was. This was most likely his last shot. Penn will probably be nominated 2 or 3 more times at least. He is a hilarious guy but from a lot of things I've read about him, he's wanted for a long time to be considerd a "serious actor" as well a guy who can bring the comedic heat. I was rooting for him, it just didn't go his way. He still was excellent in Lost in Translation.

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Mar 1 2004, 03:34 PM-->
          QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Mar 1 2004, 03:34 PM)

Originally posted by slow groove+Mar 1 2004, 03:36 PM-->
          QUOTE(slow groove @ Mar 1 2004, 03:36 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 1 2004, 03:34 PM

I've seen all 3 several times..........I actually thought the first 2 were better on their own..........Jackson tried to jam too much into the 3rd.........Taking a good chunk from the 2nd book to put into the final installment.......Shelob for one thing..............

He should have done more with the post battle Shire........There was much more to the story when the Hobbits got back to the Shire than Jackson put in the movie.........

All that said I'm very happy with the outcome and think it was more on merit for a job well done with the entire trilogy..........
          AKA reddevil
          AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 1 2004, 03:37 PM
            No, but to his credit, I forgot that Bill Murray was Bill Murray in LIT. That's the biggest compliment I can pay to him. I think he's hilarious, but whenever I see him in a movie I don't see his character, I see Bill Murray. This last movie I saw the character.
            Well, you owe it to yourself to view Penn's performance.

Showier, yes. Effective? Definitely.

The entire ensemble was first-rate. And to his credit he turned in two outstanding performances this year, including 21 Grams.

His win is best described this way to his detractors: After viewing, you can honestly say he didn't deserve to not win. Could have gone either way, but its not like he didn't deserve the honor.
            "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove+Mar 1 2004, 03:43 PM-->
              QUOTE(slow groove @ Mar 1 2004, 03:43 PM)

Originally posted by davel@Mar 1 2004, 03:42 PM
              I've seen all 3 several times..........I actually thought the first 2 were better on their own..........Jackson tried to jam too much into the 3rd.........Taking a good chunk from the 2nd book to put into the final installment.......Shelob for one thing..............

He should have done more with the post battle Shire........There was much more to the story when the Hobbits got back to the Shire than Jackson put in the movie.........

All that said I'm very happy with the outcome and think it was more on merit for a job well done with the entire trilogy..........
              I thought the 2nd one was the best, but I got an impression the Academy didn't want to give the oscar for best picture to the 1st two in the series because they knew it was a trilogy.

I can't wait for the DVD to come out for the final movie because then we can see all the extra bits that Jackson couldn't fit into the version for the cinema.

Comment

Originally posted by matt75@Mar 1 2004, 03:45 PM
                It was the perfomance of his career and IMHO was more of a stretch than Penn playing another of his dysfunctional characters that he's made a career of. Not saying Penn wasn't very good. I just thought Bill was better.
                Point respectfully taken.

Unfortunately for Bill, he is/has been viewed as a semi-prick, aloof, and difficult to deal with over the years.

Surprisingly, Penn is not viewed this way...too political, maybe, but not difficult. And more important, he has a track record over the past 6 years of commendable performances and nominations.

Like it or not, ya gotta walk before you can run in the eyes of the voting Academy.
                "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

I hated, absolutely HATED Lost in Translation. That said I was rooting for Bill Murray. I think he gave a good performance. But Penn was phenomenal (IMHO) in Mystic River. Johnny Depp was also great in Pirates. To almost be fired for portraying "too gay" of a pirate, then to convince everyone it would be well received, and for the film to gross more than the other 4 movies combined is quite a feat.

I don't think you could have gone wrong with any of the 3.
                  Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                  Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                  There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                  "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                  "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

All three of the LOTR movies deserved to win.

But yeah, I was delighted that ROTK swept last night.

Should have had acting nominations, at least for Elijah Wood, though.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 1 2004, 03:55 PM

kah.........

I get the impression that they are all supporting characters.........The complexity of the story almost lends itself to 3 main subplots...........
                      AKA reddevil
                      AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 1 2004, 03:55 PM

I've made this point and gotten some grief for it. But in my opinion the best and most consistant performer in the trilogy was Sean Astin as Sam. He was the emotional center of the movies for me. And I thought he should have at least been nominated for ROTK.

Comment

Working...
                        X