X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah Oil leases to Bush Contributors

It pays to "support" your President!

Utah Oil and Gas Leases Stir Criticism
    Sensitive Wildlife Habitats Auctioned to Bush Contributors, Environmentalists Say
    By Juliet Eilperin
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Monday, March 1, 2004; Page A02

The Bush administration has moved ahead with its plan to auction oil and gas leases on environmentally sensitive lands in Utah, reaping millions of dollars from broad swaths of lands near a national monument.

A detailed analysis of the leases auctioned to date, conducted by the Environmental Working Group, an advocacy group that opposed the leases, found that they encompass dozens of critical wildlife habitats that are now open for development. In many cases, the leases were purchased by contributors to President Bush's reelection campaign.

Although the federal government routinely auctions oil and gas leases on federal land, this series of sales represents only the second time in five years that it has done so on land it had previously determined to be wilderness quality.

"This is unprecedented," said Mike Casey, spokesman for the Environmental Working Group.

The auction has attracted the attention of more than 100 members of Congress, who wrote Interior Secretary Gale A. Norton last month asking her to hold off selling leases on tracts in areas eligible to be protected as wilderness.

The environmental group also calculated, based on federal lease sales in 2000, that the land leased to oil and gas companies in Utah would yield average revenue of $80 an acre a year, raising questions about whether the government got enough value from leases that sold for an average price of $20 an acre for the first year, with a subsequent payment of $2 an acre each year afterward.

================================================== ============================================
    Could it be that the list of SUCCESSFUL oil lease BIDDERS, and the Oil executives that produced President Bush's national energy policy in VP Dick Cheney's National Energy Policy meetings held at the White House, ARE ONE AND THE SAME?

I don't know: VP Dick Cheney has refused to release the names of the members of his National Energy Oil-Policy Task Force!

source
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

If you boys were serious about the national debt, you'd agree to SELL the friggin' "federal land".
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Just as with the timber deals, why do we give our resources away to big business?

Fine they have to make a profit, but not all of it, if it is OUR resources why not get back for ourselves?
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Mar 1 2004, 01:44 PM
        Just as with the timber deals, why do we give our resources away to big business?

Fine they have to make a profit, but not all of it, if it is OUR resources why not get back for ourselves?
        Buy some land.
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Still don't get it.

The gubbermint believes it belongs to THEM.

And, as is their custom, they use what they control to buy votes.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Mar 1 2004, 01:44 PM

Yaks - That how I feel about taxes.

Stryker

Comment

>>The environmental group also calculated, based on federal lease sales in 2000, that the land leased to oil and gas companies in Utah would yield average revenue of $80 an acre a year, raising questions about whether the government got enough value from leases that sold for an average price of $20 an acre for the first year, with a subsequent payment of $2 an acre each year afterward.<<

It's the price that concerns me! Why screw the US treasury?

>>Could it be that the list of SUCCESSFUL oil lease BIDDERS, and the Oil executives that produced President Bush's national energy policy in VP Dick Cheney's National Energy Policy meetings held at the White House, ARE ONE AND THE SAME?

I don't know: VP Dick Cheney has refused to release the names of the members of his National Energy Oil-Policy Task Force!<<

As it may appear to some: To benefit Bush-Cheney Oil buddies?
              Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

It's great how you guys always seem to miss the point!

Comment

Did you just respond to yourself nick2?

not only that it seems like you slammed yourself.

Bored?

Comment

lazydaze: Your responses are getting weak-- and way off subject.

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Mar 1 2004, 03:30 PM
                      lazydaze: Your responses are getting weak-- and way off subject.
                      Sure nick, that why you guys got nothing new to offer. Just the same old half baked compliants.

Keep throwing shit at the wall, something might stick.

Comment

Only what formerly purported to be his brains.

Comment

At least Bush could have sold the Federal lands to (whoever- wink, wink) for a better price-- like fair market value, for instance-- don't you agree?

In order to, perhaps, apply toward his largest deficit in the history of the world!

Comment

You'd slam him for that too.

Comment

The auction was lucrative for Utah and the federal government, which split the proceeds. The auction netted more than $6 million, the most a land auction had reaped since 1988
                              Were these restricted auctions?

Open tothe public? I am not sure how they work.

Comment

Working...
                              X