MMQB: Rams notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MMQB: Rams notes

With that in mind, I put together a short list of unrestricted free agents (players who can leave with zero compensation owed to their old club) and restricted free agents (players who require draft-choice compensation unless they entered the league undrafted) who, by my projection, will sign for an average of $3 million or less per year.

The Unrestricted Value Board
    1. DE Grant Wistrom, St. Louis. I'm stretching a little bit here, because a 27-year-old defensive end who has missed but two games in the last five years might get a pretty good payday. Because he hasn't been a premier pass-rusher (12 sacks in the last two seasons), he probably won't get true premier player money. The Rams really want him back. He's a great team guy. He'd be a good, totally unselfish find.
    ABOUT WARNER'S NEXT HOME ... From Shawn Fusco of St. Louis: "While I would love to have Eli Manning as the Rams QB, I realize that is a pipe dream. But what are the chances of San Diego or Arizona trading that pick at the top of Round 2 for Kurt Warner?''

Slim and none. Teams don't give up prime picks for a quarterback who hasn't played well in two years.
    The rest.

Originally posted by devaskar@Mar 1 2004, 01:17 PM

ABOUT WARNER'S NEXT HOME ... From Shawn Fusco of St. Louis: "While I would love to have Eli Manning as the Rams QB, I realize that is a pipe dream. But what are the chances of San Diego or Arizona trading that pick at the top of Round 2 for Kurt Warner?''

Slim and none. Teams don't give up prime picks for a quarterback who hasn't played well in two years.
    That's not true...

People tell me all the time that the Rams can get a high pick for Warner...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Warner hasn't played well for two years?

really?
      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 1 2004, 02:29 PM

really?
        Well, he hasn't won a start since the NFC Championship in 2002. That makes more than 2 years....
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 1 2004, 02:29 PM

really?
          Why did Buffalo give up a first rounder for Bledsoe a couple of years back? It strikes me that his situation is somewhat similar to Warner's.

Anyone that gave up anything significant for Warner is a dope though.

Comment

Because Bledsoe came into a big game after being benched and proved he could still play. Tom Brady got hurt in the 2001 AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh late in the first half. Bledsoe came into the game, threw a touchdown pass on the first possession he was in, and led the team the rest of the way to the victory.

In 2002, Bledsoe played very much like a franchise quarterback and looked like a bargain to the Bills. He was awful in 2003.

Comment

Kevin Gilbride's system simply didn't work.

It was the worst designed offense for its personnel this side of John Shoop's.
              His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
              Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Working...
              X