$5 million the hard way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $5 million the hard way

On June 16, 2009, plaintiff Christopher Gonzales, a 22-year-old call center worker, was involved in a motor vehicle accident at the intersection of Route 281 North and Evans Road in San Antonio. After he exited his vehicle, a San Antonio Police officer instructed him to stand off the roadway. He fell into a 7-foot hole containing a metal grounding rod. Gonzales was impaled by the rod. The hole had been excavated by Saeco Electric and Utility while working on a construction project under general contractor Ram Building Services. Gonzales sued the city, Ram Building and Saeco Electric, claiming the ground gave way underneath him, causing him to fall into the hole. He claimed Saeco Electric negligently failed to properly fill or guard the hole, and was negligent in failing to remove the grounding rod. Saeco Electric denied liability. The city and Ram Building settled prior to trial for confidential amounts.

Injury:

The rod entered Gonzales' left medial thigh and passed through the perineal cavity and across the base of the penis. The plaintiff claimed it caused permanent damage to the pudendal, perineal and dorsal nerves and permanent scarring of the urethra. He claimed he is unable to have an erection and must undergo periodic urethra dilations in order to urinate. He claimed he will likely require surgery to place a penile implant and remove the scar tissue. He claimed post-traumatic stress disorder and he will require psychological counseling. He claimed he has been unable to return to work since the incident, as his injuries prevent him from sitting down for extended periods of time. He sought $6 million for past and future pain and suffering, physical impairment, medical expenses and lost income. Defense counsel argued that Gonzales' injuries were not as severe as claimed and his medical expenses were exaggerated and unnecessary.

Verdict Information:

The jury found Saeco negligent and awarded Gonzales $5,530,708.88. Following the award of prejudgment interest and offsets for the previous settlements, the final award was$5,180,852.05.
    From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Actually, I think it's $5 million the limp way.

Comment

He claimed he is unable to have an erection and must undergo periodic urethra dilations in order to urinate.
      Yeah. Johhny Knoxville had to do this after he tried to do a backflip on a motorcycle and the bike landed on his nuts. Basically involves shoving a soda straw up your pecker every morning to break up the scar tissue. He had to do that for a couple years.

Me, I'd hire a contract killer to take me out so the fam could get some insurance money.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Glovey View Post
        Actually, I think it's $5 million the limp way.
        WINNAH!!!

Comment

I'm crying just reading it.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

had to stop reading ugh
            Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

$5 million doesn't sound like enough for that kind of pain.

Comment

Some things just aren't worth any amount of money.
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

I stopped reading at, "The rod entered Gonzales", hawt.
                  25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
                  Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Working...
                  X