Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what would you do if you were the titans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would you do if you were the titans?

I was thinking about this....there is NO possible way that Peyton is leaving Indiana.....the colts are not going to let that happen.

If you're the titans....do you make some ridiculous offer to Manning though? Just in the hopes that the colts match it and completely screw themselves cap wise?

Maybe it doesn't work like that.....just thinking....
    Are you on the list?

How will the Titans make that kind of an offer?

They are screwed cap wise themselves.

han solo

Comment

Kind of like what Carolina did with Sergei Fedorov four or five years ago. It was pure genius, they put a clause in the contract saying that if they make the conference finals, then they owe Fedorov a ten million dollar bonus or so. Then, Carolina had no chance at the conference finals. Detroit was forced to match and took a huge hit, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Mar 1 2004, 11:21 AM
        How will the Titans make that kind of an offer?

They are screwed cap wise themselves.

han solo
        I didn't realize that.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Mar 1 2004, 11:22 AM
          Kind of like what Carolina did with Sergei Fedorov four or five years ago. It was pure genius, they put a clause in the contract saying that if they make the conference finals, then they owe Fedorov a ten million dollar bonus or so. Then, Carolina had no chance at the conference finals. Detroit was forced to match and took a huge hit, I believe.
          You're right. That was the example I was trying to think of.
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Wouldn't the Titans have to submit a contract worth more than the $18 million Peyton will make from the Colts this coming season? If so, and given the current NFL payroll/salary structure, I'm not sure I make that deal even if I have the available cap room unless he's the last peice of the Super Bowl puzzle. I couldn't see a team bidding that much for him, and then have the bluff called by the Colts and have $18+ million tied up in one guy for next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Mar 1 2004, 11:22 AM
              ...but it also led to Detroit only paying Sergei 3 million per season for the final 2-3 years....which allowed for them to afford Hasek, Hull and others which got them another cup.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of:
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
              The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

If I were the titans, I would just forfeit the coming season out of fear of the Colts.

But then again, I am a Colts fan, aren't I?
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Mar 1 2004, 09:22 AM
                  Kind of like what Carolina did with Sergei Fedorov four or five years ago. It was pure genius, they put a clause in the contract saying that if they make the conference finals, then they owe Fedorov a ten million dollar bonus or so.  Then, Carolina had no chance at the conference finals.  Detroit was forced to match and took a huge hit, I believe.
                  There's no salary cap in the NHL.

It would be absolutely moronic of the Titans (or any team) to do this. If they sign Manning to a deal worth $18 million in 2004, they would killing themselves on the salary cap and, in fact, the Colts could match it and be paying as much as they are scheduled to pay him now.

More likely a team would sign him to a long-term deal in which his salary is less in 2004, which would be exactly what the Colts want because then they could match and have cap relief in 2004.

You can't just go and try and screw another team in the NFL because of the cap. If you're going to screw the Colts on Manning, you're also going to be screwing yourself when it comes to the cap.

If some team offers Manning $20 million per season, the Colts should take the two No. 1 picks and let him go. But no one is going to ever win a Super Bowl if they're paying him $20 million.

Comment

H

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

If there's no cap, how could you hurt your team because of the cap?

The Titans have Air McNair. He's a tank. Why would they pay to get another QB when they can win with McNair?

I hate the Titans and dislike Manning btw, so I wouldn't care one way or the other.

Comment

I should add this:

If Peyton Manning is looking to maximize his income, he should just keep playing for the franchise tag and not ever sign a long-term deal. The franchise tag will just go higher and higher each year. And if the Colts ever decide not to tag him (which would be smart, if they can't get him signed long-term by this time next year), he can sell himself to the highest bidder.

If the Colts just keep franchising him year after year after year, Manning will earn far more money than he ever would under a long-term contract.

But, like I said, if Manning doesn't agree to sign a long-term contract by this time next year, the Colts should just let him go. They're never going to win a Super Bowl by consistently committing that much cap money to one player, and if Manning were to do that, it would be an indication that he's more concerned with earning maximum dollars than with winning a Super Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenotebacker@Mar 1 2004, 10:09 AM
                          If there's no cap, how could you hurt your team because of the cap?
                          Typo on my part...meant to type "There's no salary cap in the NHL." That's why the Sergei Fedorov contract with Carolina can't be used as a basis for comparison.

I fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by devaskar+Mar 1 2004, 12:12 PM-->
                            QUOTE(devaskar @ Mar 1 2004, 12:12 PM)

Your post was difficult on my eyes, Dev.
                            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Working...
                            X