2011 St. Louis Rams Hot Stove Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 St. Louis Rams Hot Stove Thread

MEG's Mizzou thread got me thinking about creating one for our Rammies now that the season has ended. This is a massive off-season for our local football team. With the right moves, I can see us being the undisputed preseason pick to control the West... but there's plenty of work to be done.

Thankfully, for the first time in a long time, I think it's safe to say that everyone is confident with what we have at the QB position. We also have some cornerstone players, if not potential pro bowlers, on our defense. Yet many holes exist. Some larger than others.

If I'm not mistaken the first day of NFL free agency (assuming that the labor situation is handled) is March 4th. The draft begins April 28th.

In doing some research, the Rams appear to have the following free agents:
    Kenneth Darby, RB
    Laurent Robinson, WR
    Mark Clayton, WR
    Danny Amendola, WR (restricted)
    Daniel Fells, TE
    Adam Goldberg, G
    Mark Setterstrom, G
    John Greco, G
    Clifton Ryan, DT
    Gary Gibson, DT
    David Vobora, LB (restricted)
    Chris Chamberlin, LB
    Larry Grant, LB (restricted)
    Justin King, CB
    Kevin Dockery, CB
    OJ Atogwa, FS

I might have missed one or two, but I think that's everyone. Plenty of "glue" guys on that list, but the only well-known guy is Atogwa and Amendola. IMO, you have to sign them to mulit-year deals. In addition, I think I would resign just about all of those guys, except Robinson, Grant, and Darby... but they would come back without a guarantee of starting, and in all liklihood, they would be back-ups/special teamers.

By the way, does anyone know what's going on with Clifton Ryan? I really liked him, but I wonder if his career is over with this migranes. But I digress...

IMO, here are the Rams greatest areas of need (in my opinion, in order of importance):
    Wide Receiver
    Linebacker
    Strong Safety
    Guard
    Running Back

In many situations, I think it would be easy to change the order of a few of these... in other words, I think they need a LOT of help!

Some potential guys that I'd like to look at signing to FA deals:
    Guards: Logan Menkins, Harvey Dahl, or Carl Nicks
    (All of these guys are physical run blockers and good pass blockers on successful teams. Loved to see one of these guys come in, ala Adam Timmerman did back in the day from the Packers)

Safety: Roman Harper, Eric Weddle
    (If we resign OJ, not sure that we'd dump more dollars into safety, but these guys should be considered if we do.)

Linebacker: David Harris, Chad Greenway
    (I could definitely see the Rams opting for a young vet to fill one of the LB roles. Having a productive leader next to Laurinaitis would help.)

Receiver: Sidney Rice
    (He was the guy that made the Vikings go last year. He's coming off a big injury. But if he's okay, I'd like the Rams to take a look.)

I'd like to see the Rams go after another vet defensive tackle, but I don't see any worth going after (and I don't think they'll do it). And in terms of RB, I'd like for them to go with a young guy and allow him to be groomed under Jackson.

Lastly, in terms of the draft, it's much too early to be able to really speculate. We're not sure who will be coming out (not completely, at least, yet). Ideally, I would like to see one of the top receivers fall to the Rams (Jones, Green, or Blackmon). If not one of them, take the best available defensive player at DE, LB, or SS. IF that's not clear cut, look at what the Patriots do... trade down. And accumulate another couple of picks. Let's continue to add depth.

Anyone have any thoughts?
    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

I thought Atogwe signed a long-term deal?

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
      I thought Atogwe signed a long-term deal?
      Yup, you're right. Five-year deal in July. Just googled it. My bad.

Good. One last thing to worry about.
      Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

Originally posted by house77 View Post
        Yup, you're right. Five-year deal in July. Just googled it. My bad.

Good. One last thing to worry about.
        Well, I googled it too, and according to this article, it will likely be voided after this year. Or something?

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2...-41-million-d/

The bottom line is that the remainder of the contract will likely void one day after the Feb. 6 Super Bowl, or he will be released later in the month before an $8 million roster bonus is due. If he were paid that roster bonus, then an additional $3.5 million in salary becomes guaranteed if he’s on the roster on the 60th day of the league year, which would be at the beginning of May.

Comment

NFL contracts make my head hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
            NFL contracts make my head hurt.
            Yes. This. Can't keep the shit straight.

I'd love to see the Rams release Jacob Bell's dumpy ass, but I can't wrap my head around how that would hit the cap.

Comment

Oh please oh please oh please...

Per Bond...

@MaryKayCabot: #Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur to interview with #Browns on Thursday.#nfl
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
              -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                Oh please oh please oh please...

Per Bond...

@MaryKayCabot: #Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur to interview with #Browns on Thursday.#nfl
                Some indiscernable skill? because not so much with the coaching thing
                "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Could be hamstrung by Spags.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Could be hamstrung by Spags.
                    Spags has already admitted as much...
                    Official Lounge Sponsor
                    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

His uncle is probably buddies with Holmgren, right?

Comment

Fritz was his DC.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Fritz was his DC.
                          Right. Sounds like maybe he wants to hire a puppet who will do as he says.

Comment

Which is better...puppet or guy with seats at 50 yard line in booth who does nothing?

I am in the wrong business.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Which is better...puppet or guy with seats at 50 yard line in booth who does nothing?

I am in the wrong business.
                              oh, I don't know. As an attorney, you're a bit of a puppet master, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X