ESPN column on stadium names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN column on stadium names

Namely, how shitty corporate names are, how much everyone hates them, and all the really cool names we could give ballparks instead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2004/c..._jim&id=1743833

He suggests Sportsman's Park and Musial Field for the new Cardinal stadium. Busch Stadium would be perfectly cool with me, but everybody says the brewery isn't going to pony up.

Perhaps we could guess what the real name will be. What corporation based in or near St. Louis has the dorkiest, crappiest name for a baseball stadium?

Dirt Cheap Field.

The more you drink, the better the Cardinals look.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Brown and Cruppen Field.

han solo

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Feb 29 2004, 06:11 PM
        Brown and Cruppen Field.

han solo
        Is that a real company in the St. Louis area? Because if it is, that's got to be a strong favorite for the new name.

Comment

Kah -

i put that name in there as a joke.

they are a law firm that always advertises a lot on local tv.

boring ads i might add.

han solo

Comment

I liked Busch. I look at how much they spend on superbowl commercials, and then look at the value of having their name on the new stadium. More than 100 events a year, often nationally televised for three hours, for thirty years or more. Seems like a pre-emptive bid of the same amount they sold the Cardinals for----150 million---would be cost-effective. At any rate, the naming right value kind of rules out a really classy name like Musial stadium----unless a corporation wants to subsidize it.
            v

Comment

Working...
            X