X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Exercise Equipment

Hey Gang,

General info question.

Throughout my married life, my wife and I have had exercise bikes, rowing machines, bikes with arm resistance, and ellipticals.

They all break - usually within one year.

Many of them haven't been cheap.

DP, Pro-form, Schwinn, etc.

Is there any durable elliptical machines out there?

How much do they cost?
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 29 2004, 05:01 PM
    Hey Gang,

General info question.

Throughout my married life, my wife and I have had exercise bikes, rowing machines, bikes with arm resistance, and ellipticals.

How much do they cost?
    My dad bought one not to long ago....

I believe it was a Cybex from Fitness Warehouse on Manchester-270....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I used a Cybex machine when rehabbing my ankle from reconstructive surgery back in the HS football days.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 29 2004, 05:01 PM
        Hey Gang,

General info question.

How much do they cost?
        JD:

Here's something from left field.

Build up the saddle points in your butt, buy a road bike and what is called a "trainer" - you can attach the rear wheel to the trainer and ride the bike just like it is outdoors. It is a great workout, no moving parts other than the rear wheel. No computers, no electricity. Set the bike in front of the TV or your PC and ride for as long as you can take it. Some trainers will hook up to a PC and take on a leg of the Tour de France.

Plus, on nice days in the spring, summer and fall, you can take your "exercise equipment" out on the rode and enjoy the real thing with wife and kids.

Seriously, you should consider it. You'd have to purchase a few accessories and learn basic bike maintenance, but that would be a friggin no brainer for you.

Comment

I've had a Techtrix bike since 1996. It was about $3000 but still works as well as the day it was delivered and its had heavy use.
          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 29 2004, 05:06 PM
            I used a Cybex machine when rehabbing my ankle from reconstructive surgery back in the HS football days.
            JD,

I actually pondered the elliptical question a few years ago. I looked and looked and ended up with a 24-Hour fitness membership because of the flexibility it offered beyond the ellipticals.

I actually can't offer much advice, or a brand name to recommend, other than be prepared to spend some good money to get quality (no surprise there, I guess).

I thought I was going to snag something for less than 500 bucks at one of the sporting goods stores. Every time I saw something reasonably priced, I'd go try it out. I couldn't find anything that seemed decent for the money. I ended up buying a bike.

The short answer is, you can't find anything worth a damn (I couldn't, anyway) for small potatoes. If you're willing to go above $1,000 (or more), you can get a decent machine.

Anything less is junk, in my opinion.

LifeFitness is good, but they are high dollar.

I even looked at the Gazelle. Junk, in my opinion. The new one may be better, but the original was crap. I could build something similar.

Sorry to not be more help...my general opinion is...if you wanna spend, you can get a good one. The cheaper ones are just that...cheaper.
            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Personally, I just go to a gym. I know that's not much help, but in the long run, the benefits of using the other cardio machines outweigh just having one piece of equipment...

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Feb 29 2004, 05:25 PM
                Personally, I just go to a gym. I know that's not much help, but in the long run, the benefits of using the other cardio machines outweigh just having one piece of equipment...
                There is't much Bally's has that I don't.

Working out at home is pretty nice. Particularly when its 30 minutes drive to the gym.
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB+Feb 29 2004, 05:32 PM-->
                  QUOTE(TTB @ Feb 29 2004, 05:32 PM)

24 Hour Fitness is just a five minute drive from my house...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated+Feb 29 2004, 05:36 PM-->
                    QUOTE(steveInebriated @ Feb 29 2004, 05:36 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 05:32 PM

JD,

I used to work in a field that involved exercise equipment like you're describing.

Much of what others have said is exactly correct: if you want something that will last, its going to cost you. I see you've already discovered that yourself, but the high end stuff is high end for a reason.

ETs as I call them are no exception and are even more that way than bikes and treadmills.

I'll make a call or two tomorrow and see what I can find out.
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

WS,

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 29 2004, 05:06 PM
                        They actually had Cybex that long ago? Or even surgery?

Comment

I've had a LifeStyler eliptical for about 2 1/2 years now and never had a problem with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X