Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marco View Post
    correlation != causation;
    do you think he's made investors feel safe?

Comment

Funny stuff from Comedy Central:

How far does your head have to be up your ass to complain about bailouts with people on Wall Street?
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Obama is a fucking moron. End of story.
        Yeah because this started when he was in office...
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained View Post
          It's getting worse and worse the more boneheaded crap he pulls.

All this spending is scaring the shit out of people.

Comment

US stocks drop 20% after Obama takes office

March 6, 2009 - 10:33AM
            One of the major measures of the health of US stocks, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, has fallen 20% since Barack Obama was inaugurated on January 20 - the fastest drop under a new president in almost a century.
            Experts say investors may be worried Mr Obama’s stimulus measures won’t revive the economy anytime soon.
            The 20.4% drop in the Dow is the steepest for a new administration in at least 90 years, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The Dow tumbled 25% in 2009, its worst annual start, as unemployment climbed and bank losses increased.
            Overnight, the Dow slid 4.1% to 6594.44, its 12th decline in 15 days, as the worst start to a year for US stocks deepened. The Standard & Poor’s 500 Index lost a further 4.3% to 682.55, extending its retreat to 19.7% since January 20.
            "It’s the Obama bear market," said Dan Veru, who helps oversee $2.8 billion at Palisade Capital Management in Fort Lee, New Jersey. “We don’t know what the rules are in so many different areas the government is touching.”
            The US economy contracted at a 6.2% annual rate in the fourth quarter, the most since 1982, the Commerce Department said last week. Unemployment jumped to 7.6%, the highest since 1993, as Americans fell behind on their mortgages and banks seized homes at a record pace.
            Obama won approval from Congress last month for $787 billion of spending and tax cuts to reverse the recession. He proposed measures to stem home foreclosures and a budget that more than doubles spending to bail out banks. The moves haven’t halted the Dow’s 17-month sell-off to the lowest level in almost 12 years.
            Citigroup, GM
            Citigroup plunged 71% since Obama took office to $1.02, the steepest decline of all the stocks in the Dow, after the government proposed taking a 36% stake in the New York-based lender.
            Detroit-based General Motors tumbled 53% after the largest US automaker said it needs more government aid. General Electric erased half its value on concern losses will rise at GE Capital, threatening the parent company’s top credit rating.
            “Prospects for recovery in the financial sector, despite all the government help, still seem rather remote,” said John Carey, who manages $8 billion at Pioneer Investment Management in Boston. “We’ve had a weak economy for a couple of years, and we aren’t seeing the stimulus working at this point. That is what weighs on investors’ minds.”
            The 30-stock Dow average took eight months to decline 20% following the inauguration of George W. Bush, reaching the level on September 20, 2001, nine days after terrorists attacked the World Trade Center in New York and Pentagon in Washington.
            ‘29 Crash
            The crash of 1929 occurred seven months into the presidency of Herbert Hoover. Hoover presided over an 89% plunge in the Dow between September 1929 and July 1932, the steepest retreat ever.
            The Dow slipped into a bear market on July 2, 2008, when a 167-point decrease gave it a 20% loss from its record 14,164.53 on October 9, 2007. Unlike the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index, the Dow’s rally from its November low of 7552.29 fell short of a 20% bull market advance, ending at 19.6% on January 2.

http://business.theage.com.au/busine...0306-8qe5.html

Comment

Funny stuff from Comedy Central:

The Daily Show With Jon StewartM - Th 11p / 10c
              CNBC Gives Financial Advice

Daily Show Full Episodes
              Important Things With Demetri Martin
              Political Humor
              Joke of the Day

Jon Stewart is awesome.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by BlueBrained View Post
                It's getting worse and worse the more boneheaded crap he pulls.

All this spending is scaring the shit out of people.
                \

Yeah, it's the money the Fed is pouring into the system that scares people goon. Has nothing to do with unemployment or the general state of the current economy that W left us.
                Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Get ready for a wild ride today as the jobless rate hits new highs. Once we start opening soup kitchens ala the depression years we should name them after our former President for his fine 8 years of work in creating this monster.

W sucks.

WASHINGTON - The nation's unemployment rate bolted to 8.1 percent in February, the highest since late 1983, as cost-cutting employers slashed 651,000 jobs.
                  Both figures were worse than analysts expected and the Labor Department's report shows America's workers being clobbered by a relentless wave of layoffs.
                  The net loss of jobs in February came after even deeper payroll reductions in the prior two months, according to revised figures. The economy lost 681,000 jobs in December and another 655,000 in January.
                  http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29538287

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I think we should start another needless war and give tax cuts. That will surely right things!
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy View Post
                      I think we should start another needless war and give tax cuts. That will surely right things!
                      But we are giving out huge tax cuts!

Just not to the right people.

Darn!

Moon

Comment

And de-regulate everything.

8 years to destroy but I guess the "Messiah" should be able to fix this in 8 weeks.

Bush=Hoover. The history is written.

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan View Post
                          anybody who voted for this guy has no reverence for why this country is a great as it is and wants everybody to be poor.
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

anybody who voted for this guy has no reverence for why this country is a great as it is and wants everybody to be poor.
                            Goon enters to tell you why Obama is fucked and W is great in 3...2...

Comment

And de-regulate everything.

8 years to destroy but I guess the "Messiah" should be able to fix this in 8 weeks.

How many? Eight?

Comment

Goon enters to tell you why Obama is fucked and W is great in 3...2...
                                I'm not sure he doesn't have at least as much credibility as you on this topic, hoss....

Were you screaming during 2003-08 about how W was fucking up the economy? If not, why not?

Comment

Working...
                                X