Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Mo. Democrats play a major "race card".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mo. Democrats play a major "race card".

I find this current tactic by the Mo. Democratic party to be well below the table.

But, lest we think the GOP is free and clear, let's not forget Willie Sutton and the black hands used by Jesse Helms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

National GOP labels state Democrats' ad "race baiting"
    By Jo Mannies
    Post-Dispatch Political Correspondent
    02/27/2004

Ann Wagner, state chair of the Missouri Republican State Committee

The Republican National Committee has joined the Missouri Republican Party in accusing state Democrats of "race baiting" in a billboard ad they want to post.

State GOP Chairwoman Ann Wagner, who is also the party's national co-chairwoman, compared the Missouri Democratic Party's proposed ad to its 1998 campaign radio spot that targeted black listeners and told them, "When you don't vote, you let another church explode. When you don't vote, you allow another cross to burn."

That 1998 ad touched off a lot of criticism of the Democrats.

But Democratic leaders say that Wagner's assertion is "ludicrous" and that their proposed ad campaign is taken out of context.

So far, the state Democratic Party hasn't found a billboard company that will post the ad, which features the face of an African-American man next to an American flag and the words: "Missouri Republicans Have A Plan. You Are Not Part of It."

Viacom Outdoor, one of the region's largest billboard owners, refused to post the ad last week, saying it was "potentially and probably deceptive."

State Democratic Party Executive Director Jim Kottmeyer replied Friday that the ad was the first in a planned series of billboards that feature the same slogan but different faces: "Different genders, different races, different ages," Kottmeyer said.

There was nothing significant about the decision to first post the ad with the face of the black man, he added.

"'You're Not Part of It' refers to average Missourians," Kottmeyer said. "The only people the Republicans seem to be taking care of are the wealthiest people or the multinational corporations that are sending people's jobs overseas."

Wagner said she stood by her complaint. "I'm asking Democratic officials to cease these tactics," she said. Wagner noted that Gov. Bob Holden is the titular head of the state's Democratic Party.

Holden campaign manager Roy Temple said, "It's not race baiting to hold the Republicans accountable for their record."
    Make America Great For Once.

That billboard should be called "truth in advertising"
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

I think they should be allowed to put it up so the people of Missouri can laugh their sad asses right out of the state.
      And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

yaks,

If the GOP's plan doesn't include black people, then the Democrat's plan is the use and mislead them.

Comment

I agree with you in thinking that neither of the current parties are what we need, I wish there was a viable alternative to both, but I don't think there is.
          Given that, of the two, who do you think will help the average man, the working man the most, which of the two parties is likely to want to raise his wage, get him health care?
          And for the purpose of this thread, which of the two parties is most likely to help black families? I do NOT believe it is the republican party.

Comment

yaks,

I WAS a born and raised Democrat. Key word: was. Anyway, I used to eat, sleep, and breath the democratic party. My parents had seen men like JFK, HHH, Truman, FDR, and the like. Hell, I'm still a Jimmy Carter fan. More for his personal integrity, than his policies. Around 1990, give or take a couple years, I started to take a serius look at the condition of black america. I looked into the high crime, high dropout, high teenage pregnacy, high unemployement, and other disturbing rater that plagued the community, as a whole. I started to link some key lines together. I saw a continued pattern of failed democratic sponsored social plans.

Comment

Amen brother Kev -

The democrats plan for Blacks is usually this - vote for us we are better than the republicans. Not vote for us we actually give a damn. Because they don't. And they are no better than the republicans and often worse. Al dumb ass Gore pretty much was kept in the election by Black People but never showed a lick of gratitude - neither did slick Willie. Hell - that imbecile Bush has more Blacks in his cabinet than dollar Bill and certainly more than Gore would have.

People act like you have to choose between two evils - the hell I do - how do you think these parties made it to the top - by changing things. Until the democrats come up with a plan that actually benefits Black peope rather than ripping them off just slightly less than the republicans they can kiss my ass.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Feb 28 2004, 01:09 PM
                Amen brother Kev -

The democrats plan for Blacks is usually this - vote for us we are better than the republicans. Not vote for us we actually give a damn. Because they don't. And they are no better than the republicans and often worse. Al dumb ass Gore pretty much was kept in the election by Black People but never showed a lick of gratitude - neither did slick Willie. Hell - that imbecile Bush has more Blacks in his cabinet than dollar Bill and certainly more than Gore would have.

People act like you have to choose between two evils - the hell I do - how do you think these parties made it to the top - by changing things. Until the democrats come up with a plan that actually benefits Black peope rather than ripping them off just slightly less than the republicans they can kiss my ass.
                I agree with you in theory, but can anyone beat either of the two parties in the next election?

I do not think so, so my vote is not going to a candidate that can't win when it can go to a guy who will help our country more than the guy currently in office.

Comment

which of the two parties is most likely to help black families?
                  Yaks, if you have an answer, I would love some examples to back up this assertion.
                  Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Feb 28 2004, 12:15 PM
                    I agree with you in theory, but can anyone beat either of the two parties in the next election?

I do not think so, so my vote is not going to a candidate that can't win when it can go to a guy who will help our country more than the guy currently in office.
                    Yaks,

I think there are quite a few people who have disdain for the two major parties. But, I'm afraid that they're not willing to take a serious look at the alternatives. We're used to having the networs and other major media push the elephant and donkey as the only viable choices. If we're willing to look beyond the shovel of manure that they offer us, then we just may see a fundamental change in how our governement is ran.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Feb 28 2004, 11:50 AM
                      I agree with you in thinking that neither of the current parties are what we need, I wish there was a viable alternative to both, but I don't think there is.
                      Given that, of the two, who do you think will help the average man, the working man the most, which of the two parties is likely to want to raise his wage, get him health care?
                      And for the purpose of this thread, which of the two parties is most likely to help black families? I do NOT believe it is the republican party.
                      Yaks:

The lure of 'something for nothing' has been around a long time.

Good luck in your search for it - just the search itself is definitely worth destroying civil society for.

Comment

And Yaks will pursue same unapologetically.
                        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks+Feb 28 2004, 12:15 PM-->
                          QUOTE(madyaks @ Feb 28 2004, 12:15 PM)

Schwah,

The black "leadership" tells black folks what they believe will keep them (the leadership) in power.

Comment

Agreed - John.
                            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
                            X