the Conceal/Carry Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We live in a Republic, no?
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 28 2004, 10:08 PM
      When there was just a vote by the people, yes I think it is wrong to not listen to what they say.
      Heck it was the Pro Carry people who said "let the people have a vote on the subject" they got it, just didn't like the results.
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

After the demagoguery on the subject, I was sick to my stomach.
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 28 2004, 09:08 PM
          Your point is valid. A small group of well-informed legislators, responsive to the wishes of the people should be able to write better legislation than a mob of angry voters. Unless they are hamstrung by idiotic angry mob crap like the Hancock amendment.
          v

Comment

Well, I DO live in St. Chuck County, and frankly, I'm raging with ambivalence...Won't allow guns in my place of business (guns+alcohol=deep kahkah)(although I think I'd bowl better if I could bring my pistol for the pesky ten pin), other than that I don't care. I own guns, but I haven't used any of them except my pistol in YEARS; I no longer hunt so three of the four shotguns are basically for decoration purposes (two of them are antiques and don't fire anyway), and the pistol is also an antique .22 auto target pistol which is good on varmits, paper targets, ten pins, and the occasional environmentalist.

the Dog

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
            Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
            Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Originally posted by Rdog3933@Feb 29 2004, 02:08 AM
              although I think I'd bowl better if I could bring my pistol for the pesky ten pin
              I've seen you try to hit a target and the gun won't help

Seriously i do not like the idea of consealed weaponds but as i understand the law it is OK. I wish some maverick leglislators had not decided to overule the will of the people but oh well. One term Bob will veto any changes and a nice partisian battle will ensue. I don't mind people who realy need to carry such a gun having one but as a teacher i do not like the idea tha a parent will carry one legaly into a meeting. I do not think that is realy a part of the bill but . . .

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

any last thoughts, guys? thanks a bunch for your feedback. this will all prove useful.

also, as i understand it, you have to have a permit to carry, so they do do background checks on all who apply to carry.
                Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

according to th PD today, you can send 20 dollars, and a copy of your driver's license to Pennsylvania and get a permit which now has to recognized as valid in Missouri. No testing or training necessary. Probably not as long a wait as it will now be in Missouri. I feel "safer" already.
                  v

Comment

kjoe,

The key words are "I feel".

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Feb 28 2004, 09:18 PM

When there was just a vote by the people, yes I think it is wrong to not listen to what they say.
                      But in California, mayors shouldn't have to listen to what the poeple say?
                      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 29 2004, 05:07 PM
                        kjoe,

The key words are "I feel".
                        Oh, I don't really feel safer. I was just trying to be a smartass. I think your earlier issue, pointing out that we live in a republic, is a good thing to the extent that we elect competent legislators. When we start resorting to democracy to enact laws, the cause is usually disappointment with the performance of the legislators, and the result is often badly written laws. In this case, there is disappointment by the peoples' representatives in the peoples' lawmaking. If the peoples' chosen representatives are going to reverse the will of the same people who elected them, they need to do a competent job of writing the laws. They are supposed to be experts. If people can send 20 dollars to Pennsylvania and circumvent safeguards intended to apply to Missourians, then the law seems to me to have been badly written.
                        v

Comment

I'd have to have some hard data that proves we're any less safe.

I'd surmise the opposite is actually true.

I want criminals to be much less confident than they are.

Comment

Concealed Weapons Law

Although raised a liberal - I was not raised a fool. One day my sister was driving through our hood and a police car turned on it's lights and pulled her over. The officer then got out of his car walked to her window and said "Don't I know you from somewhere." As in - I am trying to hit on you.

When in high school we had to hire cops as security for school dances. These cops would spend the evening hitting on the high school girls - Of course no one ever tried anything so I guess they were effective.

Anyway - the point is - in a lawful society guns aren't needed. However if you can't trust the cops you had better have a back up plan.

Although the Black male in me would like to tell me those individuals who voted for this law are particularly afraid of my ass and want to make sure they can deal with me if they have to. In reality - I don't know this to be the case. They might be doing the same thing my sister does - keep a piece just in case. Or the same things my friends do - keep a piece in case the cops are a little to slow to arrive. I don't know the state of police protection throghout Missouri or in St. Charles in particular. I do know that in East St. Louis - it is about the same as it was when I was growing up - pretty much making a gun a necessity.

Now please add these rules to whatever you write.
                            Guns and Alcohol and other drugs do not mix.
                            Guns and Children don't mix.
                            Guns and Anger don't mix.
                            Playing with guns is not stupid - it's deadly.
                            Guns and Gambling don't mix

I hope this comes in time.
                            PM me if you need my real name.
                            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Schwah,

Glad you weighed in.

"Gun control" is largely a feel-good issue for suburban white liberals.

Those that get hurt are mothers who live in places like E. St. Louis that aren't allowed to protect their families.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Feb 29 2004, 11:08 PM
                                Schwah,

Glad you weighed in.

"Gun control" is largely a feel-good issue for suburban white liberals.

Those that get hurt are mothers who live in places like E. St. Louis that aren't allowed to protect their families.
                                Ah so some mother walking down the street with her children, rather than just giving up her money should get into a gun fight with an armed criminal?
                                Yeah a GREAT idea.
                                Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
                                X