"Will 'That One!' become the new "N*****?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Will 'That One!' become the new "N*****?"

Question posed to me tonight by my white conservative neighbor.

And I must say, it is an interesting question. That is, will African Americans (or minorities in general) view McCain's reference, whether it be intentional or not, as racially derogatory and unnecessarily condescending, i.e much like regarding a despised group as "those people" or the old south belief that people of color should "know their place."

Background: This neighbor is an educated (law prof.), conservative, WASP, married father of four. An economically well-heeled 45 year old who often engages in these types of conversations for the expressed purpose of offering them up as topics of lecture in class.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

no

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Ridiculous.

Comment

Your neighbor is on drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
          Your neighbor is on drugs.
          My neighbor is actually very likeable, and, as you may have already surmised, one who loves to debate topical issues.
          "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Well I'm certainly going to start using it instead of "nigger," just to stay out of trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by kconn View Post
              Well I'm certainly going to start using it instead of "nigger," just to stay out of trouble.
              Takes longer to say.

Comment

Takes longer to say.
                That's ok... gives you time to emph-a-size it, so that everybody knows EXACTLY what you mean.

Comment

So in other words, there was no old racism bullshit tonight so let's make up new racism bullshit........

Comment

Can I still refer to yaks as "THAT ONE"?
                    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove View Post
                        Question posed to me tonight by my white conservative neighbor.

And I must say, it is an interesting question. That is, will African Americans (or minorities in general) view McCain's reference, whether it be intentional or not, as racially derogatory and unnecessarily condescending, i.e much like regarding a despised group as "those people" or the old south belief that people of color should "know their place."

Background: This neighbor is an educated (law prof.), conservative, WASP, married father of four. An economically well-heeled 45 year old who often engages in these types of conversations for the expressed purpose of offering them up as topics of lecture in class.
                        What are you talking about? What is 'that one?'

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                          What are you talking about? What is 'that one?'

Moon

Comment

Takes longer to say.
                            'that1'

fewer to text, though.
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

I think he practiced that and he was supposed to say... which senator voted for what... which senator... that one...

It would have made sense. As it was, it sounded really awkward.
                              To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Working...
                              X