Cubs Tried To "Bless" Wrigley Field

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs Tried To "Bless" Wrigley Field

Not sure if anyone brought this up over the past week, but apparently the Cubs actually hired a Greek priest to come in and bless Wrigley Field before game 1 of the LDS playoff. When will this ridiculous organization ever learn?

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotr...removal-b.html

Curse removal backfires on Cubs
    By Paul Sullivan

It was supposed to be a quiet ceremony with no publicity.

But when a TBS cameraman saw Rev. Father James L. Greanias spreading holy water in the Cubs dugout several hours before Game 1 of the Division Series on Wednesday, the priest from St. Iakovos Greek Orthodox Church in Valparaiso, Ind. knew the cat was out of the bag.

“Now I guess I’m just another Cubbie Occurrence,” he said.

The seven walks by Ryan Dempster, the grand slam by James Loney, and the lack of clutch hitting from the Cubs sluggers can not be directly traced to Rev. Greanias’ curse-removal ritual.

But the longtime Cubs fan understands what’s coming next, especially if the Cubs bow out of the postseason in the first round. The decision to bring in a priest to remove the “Curse of the Billy Goat” may go down in Cubs lore alongside all the other calamities in franchise history.

The story began a couple days ago, when Cubs Chairman Crane Kenney left a message on Greanis’ voice mail to call him. Greanis thought his friends were playing a prank on him, but when he eventually got in contact with Kenney, he found out the reason for the call.

“He said, ‘I’m a devout Catholic, and I’m not superstitious, but if there is anything there, I want to take care of it,’” Greanis said Thursday.

The Billy Goat curse was placed on the Cubs in 1945 when Billy Goat Tavern owner William Sianis was denied entrance to a World Series game at Wrigley Field because he wanted to bring in his goat. The curse was immortalized in newspaper columns over the years, particularly by syndicated columnist Mike Royko, and gained widespread attention during the 2003 postseason when Fox played it up during the Cubs-Florida match-up in the National League Championship Series.

Kenney told Greanis that they wanted a Greek Orthodox priest to bless the dugout, since the alleged curse was placed by a Greek-American.

“I told him ‘I’m honored,’” Greanis said. “I said we’d bring some holy water and say a prayer. It’s not for ensuring the Cubs winning, but for being safe and protected. I’m a priest first, and a Cubs fan second. I don’t want anything to be mocked, and neither did Mr. Kenney.”

Greanis came to Wrigley on Wednesday well before the media was allowed inside the park. But a TBS cameraman setting up near the dugout saw the ritual and got some of it on tape. TBS then aired it during their pre-game show, ensuring it would get national publicity.

The spreading of the holy water took about 10 minutes, as Greanis went up and down the dugout, getting it in every nook and cranny. The remaining holy water was poured out onto the field near the dugout steps where the players run out to their positions.

“It’s not unusual,” Greanis said. “In Greece, the priest blesses soccer teams, and they did it in the Olympics, too. It was not intended to be a p.r. stunt or anything.”

The spreading of holy water in the Cubs dugout was nothing new. Former Cubs manager Dusty Baker was once given a gift of holy water from the Vatican from former Cubs media relations chief Sharon Pannozzo. Baker rubbed it on some of his players, including current Dodgers shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, in hopes the Cubs would receive help from on high.

Fast-forward to Game 1 of the 2008 NLDS, and it’s déjà vu all over again.

The Cubs loss in Game 1 on Wednesday put a damper on Greanis’ day. But he was also given two box seats for him and his son, and got to park in the players’ parking lot. He remains confident the Cubs will come back, suggesting that “their three best starters are going in the next three games,” referring to Carlos Zambrano, Rich Harden and Ted Lilly.

“If they win the World Series, it will be kind of cool to be a footnote to history,” he said.

And if not?

Well, it’s just another Cubbie Occurrence.
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

TBS showed a clip of this before their first game. I got a good chuckle out of it.

Comment

What a sorry ass franchise.
      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by JWB View Post
        What a sorry ass franchise.
        You know, Brad Boyes is prominently featured in Tommy's 'video' montage.

Maybe you guys could PM each other and talk about him.

Moon

Comment

I saw that the other day, thought to myself that it was the most audacious thing i had seen in a long time.

Fuckin Cubs deserve to loose badly after that.

Don't they realize God hates them??

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke View Post
            I saw that the other day, thought to myself that it was the most audacious thing i had seen in a long time.

Fuckin Cubs deserve to loose badly after that.

Don't they realize God hates them??

Maybe they need to try to make a deal with the devil.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

lipstick, pig, that whole thing...
              I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Serious question - do you think things like this have any effect on the players? I mean, does it put any 'curse' thought in their heads at all? IMO, as long as they believe in the curse, it'll keep playing itself out.
                Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Photobucket

Comment

Will Greek Orthodoxy now become Bartman-esque in Chi-Town?
                    The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Maybe they should've gone with a Polish-Catholic (or Polish whatever-religion) priest.
                      Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                        You know, Brad Boyes is prominently featured in Tommy's 'video' montage.

Maybe you guys could PM each other and talk about him.

Moon
                        STFU
                        RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                        You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                        X