Money Market Fund Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Market Fund Question

I currently have my "Rainy Day Fund" in Vanguard's Prime Money Market Fund. While I have faith in Vanguard's stability, recent events have led me to question just about everything. The fund has more than half of its assets in U.S. Treasury and federal agency securities. It also has no exposure to Lehman Brothers or AIG paper, but some of it is in Fannie Mae. 14% of its asset allocation is in high quality commercial paper like P&G, Wal-Mart, Johnson & Johnson, etc.

Would I be better off leaving my money where it is, transferring it to Vanguard's U.S. Treasury Money Market Fund, which invests 100% in assets backed by the "full faith and credit" of the U.S. government, or moving it to an FDIC-insured bank account?

What is the account number, routing number, your name, address, ssn and mother's maiden name? I should be able to answer that question after I get all your info.
    25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
    Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Originally posted by marco View Post
      What is the account number, routing number, your name, address, ssn and mother's maiden name? I should be able to answer that question after I get all your info.
      Are you with the Nigerians? I'll only send that info to the Nigerians.

Comment

Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
        Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
        Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
        "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

Originally posted by Box & Won View Post
          Are you with the Nigerians? I'll only send that info to the Nigerians.
          In that case, yes I am.
          25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
          Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Originally posted by younghutch View Post

My name is Schwahalala and I approve this message.
            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Your Rainy Day Fund - Would probably do better in local CD's around your area -

For example this is you

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/rate/mmmf_home.asp

This could be you

http://cdrates.bankaholic.com/

As always should you get near the FDIC level split it.

Good luck

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Also stagger the CD's so that some comes due every other month or so.

If you have $14,000 - You want 6 - 2 grand CD's that mature every other month so that you are no more than 60 days from getting part of your cash and you have 2 grand sitting somewhere fast.

Good luck.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Instead of a money market - look for the highest paying savings account.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
                  X