19. Boise State 3-0 363
    20. Clemson 3-1 300
    21. Vanderbilt 4-0 242
    22. Illinois 2-1 224
    23. East Carolina 3-1 201
    24. TCU 4-0 117
    25. Fresno State 2-1 105
    Others Receiving Votes
    Oregon 100, Oklahoma State 98, Virginia Tech 63, Colorado 39, Nebraska 32, Connecticut 26, Tulsa 19, Miami (FL) 17, Michigan State 14, Georgia Tech 8, Kentucky 7, Northwestern 7, Ball State 6, South Carolina 3, West Virginia 2, Florida State 2, North Carolina 2, Minnesota 1.
    Dropped From Rankings
    Oregon 17, West Virginia 21, Florida State 24.

Vanderbilt! Ranked!
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Thursday, September 25
    TIME (ET) MATCHUP TV PPV TICKETS
    8:00 PM ET Southern Methodist at Tulane CSTV Tickets
    9:00 PM ET No. 1 USC at Oregon State
    Tickets
    Friday, September 26
    8:00 PM ET Connecticut at Louisville
    Tickets
    Saturday, September 27
    12:00 PM ET Minnesota at No. 14 Ohio State Big Ten Network Tickets
    12:00 PM ET Maryland at No. 20 Clemson Tickets
    12:00 PM ET Michigan State at Indiana Tickets
    12:00 PM ET Virginia at Duke Tickets
    12:00 PM ET Pittsburgh at Syracuse Tickets
    12:00 PM ET Kent State at Ball State Tickets
    12:00 PM ET Northern Illinois at Eastern Michigan Tickets
    12:00 PM ET North Carolina at Miami (FL) Tickets
    12:05 PM ET Northwestern at Iowa Tickets
    12:30 PM ET Mississippi at No. 4 Florida Tickets
    12:30 PM ET Army at Texas A&M Tickets
    1:00 PM ET Rhode Island at Boston College Tickets
    2:00 PM ET Virginia Military at Ohio Tickets
    2:00 PM ET Western Michigan at Temple Tickets
    2:00 PM ET Arkansas State at Memphis Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Arkansas at No. 7 Texas
    Tickets
    3:30 PM ET No. 9 Wisconsin at Michigan Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Tennessee at No. 15 Auburn CBS Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Houston at No. 23 East Carolina CSTV Tickets
    3:30 PM ET No. 25 Fresno State at UCLA
    Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Colorado at Florida State
    Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Purdue at Notre Dame NBC Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Morgan State at Rutgers Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Marshall at West Virginia Tickets
    3:30 PM ET Cincinnati at Akron Tickets
    3:35 PM ET Louisiana-Lafayette at Kansas State Tickets
    3:45 PM ET Navy at No. 16 Wake Forest Tickets
    4:00 PM ET Buffalo at Central Michigan Tickets
    4:00 PM ET Bowling Green at Wyoming The Mtn. Tickets
    5:00 PM ET North Texas at Rice Tickets
    6:00 PM ET Colorado State at California Tickets
    6:15 PM ET Oregon at Washington State Tickets
    7:00 PM ET No. 24 TCU at No. 2 Oklahoma Tickets
    7:00 PM ET Western Kentucky at Kentucky Tickets
    7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas at Tulsa Tickets
    7:00 PM ET UAB at South Carolina Tickets
    7:00 PM ET Florida International at Toledo Tickets
    7:05 PM ET Troy at Oklahoma State Tickets
    7:30 PM ET Mississippi State at No. 5 LSU
    Tickets
    7:30 PM ET No. 13 South Florida at North Carolina State Tickets
    7:45 PM ET No. 8 Alabama at No. 3 Georgia
    Tickets
    8:00 PM ET No. 22 Illinois at No. 12 Penn State Tickets
    8:00 PM ET Weber State at No. 17 Utah Tickets
    8:00 PM ET Idaho at San Diego State Tickets
    8:00 PM ET Virginia Tech at Nebraska
    Tickets
    8:00 PM ET New Mexico at New Mexico State Tickets
    8:00 PM ET UCF at UTEP CSTV Tickets
    10:00 PM ET Stanford at Washington Tickets
    10:00 PM ET Nevada at UNLV The Mtn. Tickets
    Sunday, September 28
    12:05 AM ET San Jose State at Hawaii Tickets

Comment

Why the love for Vandy and not NU? There's still a bit of room on the bandwagon, I think...perhaps not for long, though.

Comment

Gonna find out what my Illini are made out of on Saturday night. Knocking off Penn St at their crib would be one hell of a nice push going into conference play. Brutal having to go there then Michigan(even if they aren't very good this year) the week after to start their Big 10 schedule. I shall be in Ann Arbor though!
        Official Lounge Sponsor
        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
          Gonna find out what my Illini are made out of on Saturday night. Knocking off Penn St at their crib would be one hell of a nice push going into conference play. Brutal having to go there then Michigan(even if they aren't very good this year) the week after to start their Big 10 schedule. I shall be in Ann Arbor though!

They are going to get spanked.

Night game. On the road. 100,000 people. Big Ten opener. Team Illinois beat last year. Illinois went to Rose Bowl. Big Ten darlings, etc. Lots of motivation.

Spread is Penn State by 14. I'm not sure I can disagree.

I think Illinois is going to be a very solid team, but this has the makings of an asskicking, unless Illinois can contain them early.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

So when does CBS get to pick the SEC games and when does ESPN? B/c I was shocked to see that Alabama-Georgia is the ESPN night game.

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
              They are going to get spanked.

Night game. On the road. 100,000 people. Big Ten opener. Team Illinois beat last year. Illinois went to Rose Bowl. Big Ten darlings, etc. Lots of motivation.

Spread is Penn State by 14. I'm not sure I can disagree.

I think Illinois is going to be a very solid team, but this has the makings of an asskicking, unless Illinois can contain them early.
              Yeah, but this will also be PSU's first game against an actual team.

Comment

Why We Love Vandy
                By Mad Love on 09/21 at 07:26 PM
                By Jack Bonden
                Love of Sports Correspondent

Sitting all alone at the top of the SEC standings are the Vanderbilt Commodores.

I just wanted that sentence to have a line all to its own for all the Vanderbilt fans (yes, they do exist) who have waited patiently for The Year, because this might just be it.

Vandy’s been close in the past, but they’ve never really been able to turn just any year into The Year. In 1904, they finished 9-0, outscoring their opponents 474-4, but the statute of limitations has run out on that particular season.

2005 was almost The Year. They finished 5-6, including a much-desired win at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville, but it doesn’t qualify. either. They finished short of bowl eligibility after starting 4-0, dropping a game to Middle Tennessee State, a double-OT game at Florida and a five-point game at home against Kentucky.

This one could be The Year, though.

Unlike previous candidates, this edition has defensive playmakers. It’s been whispered that the Vandy D is among the fastest in the SEC, and while they’re last in the SEC in defensive yards/game, they’re only giving up 17 points per, while leading the conference in sacks and interceptions.

Free safety Ryan Hamilton picked off three passes and recovered a fumble last week against Ole Miss on the way to being named national Defensive Player of the Week. Cornerback D.J. Moore’s one of the best players in the country nobody notices. He’s currently 10th in the SEC in all-purpose yards per game, despite the fact he plays defense! Linebacker Patrick Benoist leads the SEC in tackles.

The schedule also sets up nicely for the Commodores to go bowling for the first time in a quarter century. They have winnable games left at Mississippi State, home against Duke, at Kentucky and (skip this part if half your wardrobe is pumpkin orange) home against Tennessee (which, given the reception the Vols received from their home crowd on Saturday in their loss to Florida, may actually be an advantage for Tennessee).

Here’s why you should feel comfortable rooting for Vanderbilt:

1. Rewarding perseverance: The ’Dores have been getting their business handed to them in the SEC for decades. While their fans aren’t exactly what we’d call fervent — games in Nashville might as well count as home games for the rest of the SEC — the players, the coaching staff and the administration have never given up on the team. The school made an inspired hire when they pulled Bobby Johnson from I-AA Furman in 2002, and they wisely stuck with him through three two-win seasons to start his career in Nashville.

2. They don’t have an Athletic Department: This is a strange reason to root for a football team. However, isn’t that the particular kind of renegade spirit, that unique administrative throw-your-caution-and-bowties-to-the-wind we can all get behind?

3. Vulgarity? Pish Posh!: Coach Johnson doesn’t cuss, nor does he allow his players to cuss. Shoot, that’s so darn old school it’s actually pretty flippin’ sweet.

4. Variety, spice of life and all: One of the best parts about college football is the fact that schools have histories and traditions, and the stuff that happened decades ago still matter as if they happened last week. However, that can also be one of the worst parts about college football — there’s a certain degree of predictability at the top. It’s nice when we get an interloper from the hinterlands of the Mountain West or the WAC or the Big East, but it’s even more fun when we get one from one of the old established power conferences. It’s rare enough that when it does happen, the old guard’s forced to reexamine their own ways and adapt to a certain extent. Think about the reverberations Northwestern caused a few years ago in the Big Te(leven) with the spread offense, or the (other than USC) reshuffling of the Pac-10 with Cal’s ascendancy.

So, even if you’re inclined to disdain all things SEC as overwrought, self-important and scary*, let yourself be swept up in Vandy mania for a few weeks and show some love to the Sugardores whenever the opportunity presents itself.

*Shame on you, by the way.

Comment

Didn't mention it in last week's thread, but the many West Virginia fans we encountered on the Boulder mall prior to the game Thursday were all very pleasant people. There were 5,000 of them in town for the game, and they were everywhere. Best opposing team fans I've run across in Boulder.
                  Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

can we get a sticky for this thread please?

Comment

Beanie Wells is making his return this week...It should be interesting to see a Pryor-Beanie backfield.

Georgia-Alabama should be a fun game.
                      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Originally posted by InSighT View Post
                        can we get a sticky for this thread please?
                        When's the first game?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                          When's the first game?
                          idk, why?

Comment

Originally posted by InSighT View Post
                            idk, why?
                            D stands for day...

In order to try and keep pinned threads to a minimum, it's an attempt to try and keep it day of games...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                              D stands for day...

In order to try and keep pinned threads to a minimum, it's an attempt to try and keep it day of games...

You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X