Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams-Seahawks Post-Mortem: We stink...seriously

The Good

-Chris Long and Adam Carriker had 12 solo tackles and 1 assist between them. The line wore down and didn't always play great on the defensive end of the ball, but these two guys show potential. If we could only get a real NT and play Carriker at the UT slot full time, we might even have a decent pro line.

-Hey, was that a draft pick on the field? We had a Donnie Avery sighting. He only played OK, but seeing him wasn't that bad at least. My next question is why they take our fastest receiver and only run him 3 or 4 yards down the field. (In all fairness, Avery did have one really nice run after the catch for a first down.)

-Clearly they decided to use Stephen Jackson yesterday. He plays better when he gets the ball around 30 times a game. He played better yesterday, at least in terms of getting yardage.

-The offensive line only yielded one sack yesterday and that was really Dan Kreider's fault (why did we release Hedgecock again?). It had its wrinkles (below), but the o-line wasn't the problem yesterday. Not bad when you consider they went up against a unit that was leading the league in sacks.

-The kickers are both still good.

The Bad

-Ron Bartell continues his maddening pattern of decent play, with at least one completely stupid play. His pass penalty was horrid and he should be embarassed that he got nailed so bad by Hasselback. He was only mediocre in run support yesterday. Still, he was the only CB not to get embarassed by Larry, Curly, and Moe (otherwise known as the Seahawks brand new receivers) in the secondary.

-The safeties weren't *awful* yesterday, just merely bad. They had 11 tackles and 2 assists between them, plus Chavous had a good special teams tackle. And, Atogwe didn't get taken out by a double move and get torched for a touchdown. However, that's all the good news there is to print. They got overly sucked in on too many running plays, didn't really help much in the passing game, and failed to wrap up on a bunch of tackles. Their high tackle rate says more about the linebackers than it does the safeties.

-The defensive line. OK, so I said Long and Carriker played fine. They did. And, as a unit the defensive line wasn't the problem in the running game. Generally speaking, this defense is designed so that the linemen take up the blockers in order to let the linebackers have free lanes to the ball. From that perspective, the line did OK. Carriker got doubled nearly every time and still managed six tackles; Long even shed blockers and got back downfield to make tackles. Hall and Glover didn't embarass themselves. So what's the problem, chi? The problem is that they're doing the bare minimum. When will we see them not just occupy blockers, but dominate them and make a play? Hall, Glover, Ryan, and Adeyanju never did that yesterday; the other two didn't do it enough.

-Pass rush? What's that? We finally saw some of the creative blitzing we saw last year, but we still get nothing from our line.

-The Rams are too thin along the defensive line. We need to cultivate more d-line depth like we saw with the Giants and Seahawks.

-Alex Barron. WTF, dude? Seriously. W...T...F? I think he's overrated as a blocker, but I'm simply stunned at his inability to stand still. Has the coaching staff tried ADHD meds yet?

The Ugly

-We gave up 17 points in the first quarter. Given how frequently we were wasting time outs yesterday (aren't you glad *that's* back?), it boggles the mind that we couldn't call one in order to get the defense's attention and ask them if they were going to start playing in the first half.

-Why is Tye Hill seeing the field anymore? Six tackles yesterday, but only because everyone in the NFL will throw at him every time he is on the field from this point forward. He was a wasted pick.

-Fakhir Brown. Last year this guy was solid. This year he might even be worse than Hill. Our secondary has been torched by some guy named Bumpus, a guy who is like 90 years old (Toomer), and a bunch of street free agents in the last three weeks. Yikes.

-Again I ask, why is Chavous on the field instead of Todd Johnson? He couldn't possibly be worse. I admire that Corey is playing hard, but he honestly doesn't have it anymore. Time for him to move to the draft gig full time.

-Our linebackers stink. Yeah, Witherspoon finally showed up yesterday. But as a group they were just plain fucking awful yesterday. Tino isn't the player he was before all the injuries, Culberson hasn't done shit since being put in the starting lineup (seriously...why isn't our FA guy starting...you know, Chris Draft), and Witherspoon is out of position.

-What was most infuriating about the game yesterday was our complete and total inability to tackle. Are we really back to this? I mean before we were just blowing assignments. Now we are getting knocked on our assess. Have these guys no pride?

-Why is Dante Hall on this roster? He isn't getting it done as a returner. Sure, he doesn't stink there but he isn't adding anything either. He isn't a good WR (heck, he never really was). And at this point he's just taking playing time away from a young guy who might be decent. Cut him yesterday and promote Stanley from the practice squad.

-Eddie Kennison is as big a fool as I remember him. He seriously thought that was pass interference? He needs to ask Torry about the last superbowl this team was in if he thinks that was a penalty. STFU, you retread. All you're doing is taking minutes away from a young guy too. (Note: We need receivers so we go and get a guy no one else wants. The Seahawks go to a former first round draft pick and make trades for guys who might actually compete for future roster spots.)

-Stephen Jackson. You got paid, so stop being such a pussy and run through your holes. The o-line wasn't brilliant yesterday, but there was more running room there if he would just RUN THROUGH THE FUCKING HOLE. He needs to go look at the tape from two years ago when he was successful. What was he doing? Running straight.

-Brian Leonard was inactive, three games running. Our last 2nd round pick behind him barely sees the field.

The Super Freaking Ugly

-The coaching staff. Linehan looked like a fool getting pumped about our touchdown catch. Uh, that was only our second or third trip in to the Red Zone. I wouldn't get pumped, I'd be worried about doing it again. Haslett looks like a deer in the headlights. Saunders' game plans have been completely uninspired. Sweeps? Why would you run sweeps with this team?

-I'm not generally a fan of midseason coaching changes, but we need to clean house and do so now. Why? Simple...Linehan and staff know that their jobs are on the line (not these ones...the next job) and will not be playing any of the young guys. But what sense does that make for the Rams? Really? Why are Hall, Minor, Glover, Chavous, Brown, Looker, Kreider, Becht, etc. getting minutes over Klopftenstein, Avery, Greco, and so on? Let's at least see if the young guys can get it done or whether they need to be replaced too. It can't be worse than what we've seen the last three weeks.

-My vote for the midseason change? Henry Ellard. Promise him a front office job if he agrees to just play the young guys.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

I blame you.

Moon

Comment

Isn't this the same report you did the last 2 weeks?
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

To borrow from writer Dan Jenkins: "The St. Louis Rams, comma..."
        Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
        Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
        Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
        "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

You know, Donnie Jones is really good.

Comment

So is Josh Brown.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

That was by far Carriker's best game of the season. He looked good out there, for the most part.

I'd add Gary Stills to "The Good" section. Dude just makes plays on special teams.

With Drew Bennett out, Dante Hall is now #1 on my shite list. I don't think I've ever seen a punt returner get called for unneccessary roughness on a fair catch, so thanks for giving us that, D. That was absolutely pathetic. He needs to go.

Tye Hill is a huge piece of crap.

Avery showed a great burst of speed on one of his receptions. Wish we could get him the ball more.

Did Corey Chavous get shot up with steroids on the sidelines during the game? He made a great play on special teams and then showed some speed on defense shortly after that - I don't think I've ever seen him run that fast.

What a disappointing game. Even despite the fact that we dug ourselves a huge hole, we were only down by two TDs with a lot of time left in the game - not an insurmountable lead by any stretch of the imagination. But, we proceeded to shit the bed like we usually do.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy View Post
                He was a wasted pick.
                He is Jay Cutler.

The new section is a nice touch, fitting for this team.

How many yards will Lee Evans gain next week?

Comment

I do hope the Cardinals are paying attention - When you replace a good coach that has trouble winning the big one - with a new coach - you usually go down hill.

Man I long for the arguments about us wasting time outs are whether or not we are running up the score.

If its me - I hire Martz back to at least put an exciting offense on the field.
                  Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                  God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Why is Tye Hill seeing the field anymore? Six tackles yesterday, but only because everyone in the NFL will throw at him every time he is on the field from this point forward. He was a wasted pick.

The hawks saw that he was biting so hard on crossing routes that they ran a naked bootleg to his side on 3rd and 8. A naked bootleg w/ Hasslebeck. Think about that. That is what you do in high school when you see the back up come in for a play.

Comment

I'd add Bulger to the Bad list.

He actually had time to throw yesterday and was missing open receivers, except for that stretch at towards the end of the 2nd and during the 3rd when we had some resemblence of a halfway average offense.

Granted, the lines play has been so terrible for 2 years now that he's prob forgot how to throw a football without 4 defenders on him within 2 seconds of the snap. I was actually very pleased with the O-Line yesterday outside of the fumble where the FB completely whiffed on a block. If they can keep holding off guys like they did yesterday, Bulger will HOPEFULLY regain a little confidence in his game.

Oh and Avery should be our #2 receiver right now. Just throw him out there and see what happens. I liked the little I did see yesterday with him and liked that Bulger wasn't afraid to throw to him.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor
                      Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Is there a QB in this draft that gets anyone excited?

I think the Rams need to take on at some point.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                        -Barry Goldwater

Comment

I keep reading and hearing some people say that Trent Green should not be bought in, due to injury risk. If that's the thinking at Rams Park, why not just cut him and bring in another QB? Bulger is a walking basket case. It's time to make a change.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Silly stat of the day -

The Rams 29 points scored this season would not be enough to have won any singular game they have played so far.

Philly 38 - Rams 3
                            Giants 41 - Rams 13
                            Seahawks 37 - Rams 13

Yesterday was our best game all year point differential wise.
                            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Not that Fitzpatrick was the answer, but it would be nice to have a young guy to bring in and see what he can do.
                              Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                              -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Working...
                              X