The Parenting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Parenting Thread

Yep. There you go. Having joined the fraternity of people with rug rats, it occurs to me that a good source of advice is other people with rug rats. Like Reggie and his 19 children. So it seems useful to have a thread where custodians of rug rats ask other rug rat custodians for advice.

My daughter has in her 11th week of life started sticking her fingers in her mouth and chewing/sucking on them. Is this actually as bad as people say it is, or just something kids do that one should leave alone?
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Kah - if you mess with that kid - I'll kill you.

Of course its natural she just found out she has them.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
      Yep. There you go. Having joined the fraternity of people with rug rats, it occurs to me that a good source of advice is other people with rug rats. Like Reggie and his 19 children. So it seems useful to have a thread where custodians of rug rats ask other rug rat custodians for advice.

My daughter has in her 11th week of life started sticking her fingers in her mouth and chewing/sucking on them. Is this actually as bad as people say it is, or just something kids do that one should leave alone?
      Don't worry about much more than her vital signs and nutrition at 11 weeks. I would, though, try to avoid pacifiers if you can. If she never has one, you'll never have to take it away.
      "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
      – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
        Kah - if you mess with that kid - I'll kill you.

Of course its natural she just found out she has them.
        Yeah, my wife read something in one of those damn books about how it's supposed to be bad, and now she's trying to get the baby to take to pacifiers instead, which Sarah just won't do. Keeps spitting them out. But she never listens to me--always wraps the baby up when we go outside like we're taking a trip to Siberia.
        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

My daughter just turned six months old and does the same thing. I think she's started teething. Doesn't seem like a problem, except for the fact that her hands are constantly covered in slobber.

Comment

Totally natural. If you don't want her sucking on her fingers, give her a pacifier.
            "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

There is nothing wrong with it.

I'll add that there are several pacifiers out there, so you might need to try different ones (that is if your wife isn't already doing this).
              Feb. 08, 2005
              Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
              Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
              Originally posted by Airshark
              NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Soothie.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Kids are a helluva lot tougher than you think they are too. They dont always have to be bundled up like papooses, especially in the summer
                  Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Two words

Oral Stage.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Yeah, my wife read something in one of those damn books about how it's supposed to be bad, and now she's trying to get the baby to take to pacifiers instead, which Sarah just won't do. Keeps spitting them out. But she never listens to me--always wraps the baby up when we go outside like we're taking a trip to Siberia.
                      Tell your wife the pacifier is a double edge sword - I'm sure she has seen kids way too old for them still sucking away. Getting them away from kids is very hard.

I definately prefer fingers to pacifiers. At 11 weeks, as YYZ said, as long as they have good vital signs its all good.

One thing you and your wife should do is make sure you read to them everyday. By 6 months they'll be bringing you the book.

Other than that - enjoy your bundle of joy.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

No to the pacifier. Makes you a lazy parent in the beginning and then you play hell breaking that kid of the habit.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                          Kids are a helluva lot tougher than you think they are too. They dont always have to be bundled up like papooses, especially in the summer
                          You can overheat them too - at 11 weeks make sure you check her for sweating too much. As a general rule - kids at that age normally need one more layer than you if it's cold outside but not much more.

When its hot - I think they are the same as you.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                            No to the pacifier. Makes you a lazy parent in the beginning and then you play hell breaking that kid of the habit.
                            You've got that right.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I would never give a pacifier to a kid, it's just as hard to break them of it, and it makes them look less attractive. Any time I see a child over 18 months with a "pacie"[ugh] walking around, I have an uncontrollable itch to bytchslap.

Plus the old pick it off the ground, wipe it off and stick it back in babies mouth thing makes me ill. Jeebus, i've seen people do that in hospitals.
                              "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Working...
                              X