Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exactly what makes one an 'elitist?'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Exactly what makes one an 'elitist?'

    Which of the criteria identify someone as an elitist? And what ones should we add to the list?

    - college education? advanced degree?
    - large personal income?
    - possessing a depth of knowledge on a wide range of issues?
    - funny name?
    - liberal social views?

    I seriously don't know that this term is supposed to mean, nor do I see which part of the Obama story makes him an elitist.
    "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
    – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

  • #2
    Definitions of elitist on the Web:
    • An elitist genetic algorithm is one that always retains in the population the best individual found so far. Tournament selection is naturally elitist.
    • is the belief or attitude that those individuals who are considered members of the elite -- a select group of people with outstanding personal abilities, intellect, wealth, specialized training or experience, or other distinctive attributes -- are those whose views on a matter are to be taken ...
    • Someone who believes in rule by an elite group; Of or relating to elitism
    If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

    Comment


    • #3
      There ain't no such thing.There ain't no such thing.There ain't no such thing.There ain't no such thing.
      "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

      I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

      Matrem tuam pedicavi

      "I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blue zone View Post
        There ain't no such thing.There ain't no such thing.There ain't no such thing.There ain't no such thing.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.


        "When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
        -Barry Goldwater

        Comment


        • #5
          I would just say anyone that believes they are better than someone else.
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

          Comment


          • #6
            Being a gay, black, muslim, ex-community organizer, with only one home.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.


            "When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
            -Barry Goldwater

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
              Being a gay, black, muslim, ex-community organizer, with only one home.
              But hes so clean and well-spoken!
              “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

              Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                Being a gay, black, muslim, ex-community organizer, with only one home.
                With an uppity wife.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by YYZ View Post
                  Which of the criteria identify someone as an elitist? And what ones should we add to the list?

                  - college education? advanced degree?
                  - large personal income?
                  - possessing a depth of knowledge on a wide range of issues?
                  - funny name?
                  - liberal social views?

                  I seriously don't know that this term is supposed to mean, nor do I see which part of the Obama story makes him an elitist.
                  You obviously missed the Black email of the day yesterday -

                  Let me see if I have this straight.....


                  ·If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic,
                  different."
                  ·Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, a quintessential American story.
                  ·If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
                  ·Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.
                  ·Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.
                  ·Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.
                  ·If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the
                  first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter
                  registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 y ears as
                  a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator
                  representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the
                  state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the
                  United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while
                  sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs,
                  Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't
                  have any real leadership experience.
                  ·If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city
                  council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people,
                  20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then
                  you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.

                  ·If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising 2
                  beautiful daughters, all within protestant churches, you're not a real
                  Christian.
                  ·If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your
                  disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you'r e a Christian

                  Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

                  Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                  God is stronger and the problem knows it.

                  2017 BOTB bracket

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about having a law degree while not practicing law?

                    Signed,

                    Anthony LaRussa, Jr, ESQ.
                    Kevin Slaten

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Expand this to Democrats in general, so we can merge it with one of the other threads, with the usual claptrap about how if you don't vote for Obama, you're hopelessly stupid.

                      Much like the utter bewilderment expressed four years ago, when the stupid people elected the chimp again.

                      That's elitism, too.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        "...a community organizer!!!!! HA HA HA HA. ROFLMAO!!!!!"

                        That is elitism.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.


                        "When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                        -Barry Goldwater

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
                          Expand this to Democrats in general, so we can merge it with one of the other threads, with the usual claptrap about how if you don't vote for Obama, you're hopelessly stupid.

                          Much like the utter bewilderment expressed four years ago, when the stupid people elected the chimp again.

                          That's elitism, too.
                          Come on reg hopelessly stupid - that's a stretch - the chimp getting elected again that was hopelessly stupid I will agree but not voting for Obama will have a range of individuals -

                          You - King - Far - and people who love the Dukes of Hazzard.
                          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

                          Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

                          2017 BOTB bracket

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                            You obviously missed the Black email of the day yesterday -

                            Let me see if I have this straight.....


                            ·If you grow up in Hawaii, raised by your grandparents, you're "exotic,
                            different."
                            ·Grow up in Alaska eating mooseburgers, a quintessential American story.
                            ·If your name is Barack you're a radical, unpatriotic Muslim.
                            ·Name your kids Willow, Trig and Track, you're a maverick.
                            ·Graduate from Harvard law School and you are unstable.
                            ·Attend 5 different small colleges before graduating, you're well grounded.
                            ·If you spend 3 years as a brilliant community organizer, become the
                            first black President of the Harvard Law Review, create a voter
                            registration drive that registers 150,000 new voters, spend 12 y ears as
                            a Constitutional Law professor, spend 8 years as a State Senator
                            representing a district with over 750,000 people, become chairman of the
                            state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spend 4 years in the
                            United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while
                            sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs,
                            Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees, you don't
                            have any real leadership experience.
                            ·If your total resume is: local weather girl, 4 years on the city
                            council and 6 years as the mayor of a town with less than 7,000 people,
                            20 months as the governor of a state with only 650,000 people, then
                            you're qualified to become the country's second highest ranking executive.

                            ·If you have been married to the same woman for 19 years while raising 2
                            beautiful daughters, all within protestant churches, you're not a real
                            Christian.
                            ·If you cheated on your first wife with a rich heiress, and left your
                            disfigured wife and married the heiress the next month, you'r e a Christian

                            I did miss this. And it is Excellent Schwa
                            Sketch in STL
                            Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

                            I'M WITH HILLARY!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                              How about having a law degree while not practicing law?

                              Signed,

                              Anthony LaRussa, Jr, ESQ.
                              Kevin Slaten
                              One problem: Slaten does...he has a traffic ticket fixing business on the side

                              "Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X