Rams-Giants Post-Mortem: Yeah, We Really Are That Bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rams-Giants Post-Mortem: Yeah, We Really Are That Bad

OK, so we honestly didn't look worse this week until the 4th quarter. Given the final score it would be easy to forget that the Rams were only down by one touchdown deep into the game. However, that just goes to show you how badly they laid down and took it in the end. Just awful.

The Good

-Holy crap our punter is good. Seriously. In fact he's a little too good. Twice in two weeks now he's kicked it so freaking far he put the coverage team in a bad position. Still, I wouldn't ask him to change a thing. If there is a better punter in the league right now, I'd like to know who it is.

-Holy crap, our kicker is good. Seriously. I wish he had a little more leg on the kickoffs, but those two 54-yarders were great kicks. I almost wanted them to move it back a yard on the second one to see if he'd still make it (he would have).

-The coverage teams got knocked around a bit in Bill Coats' blog, but I've seen more energy and passion from that unit this year since the SB victory. They've given up one (really) good return in both games, but they've had to cover at least four games worth of kicks. Given that these guys have proven they can wrap up and tackle, I'm all game for giving some of them a shot at regular PT. They can't be any worse.

-Chris Long played like he was worth the #2 pick yesterday. He got a sack, made a few other tackles, and generally was able to pressure the QB more effectively than any defensive linemen we've had (other than Little). And, he did it against a pretty freaking good defensive line.

-Ron Bartell is our best cornerback. The good news here is that he's proven himself not to be a wasted pick. The bad news is that he's still inconsistent and gives up one tremendously stupid coverage play every game. Still, he was generally in position yesterday and that counts as "good" these days...being exactly where you're supposed to be.

-Apparently Leonard Little threw some chairs and Dane Looker had a profanity-laced tirade after the game yesterday. Finally, someone is going to try holding the players accountable. I made the point on ClanRam last week that Marshall Faulk was the kind of player that other people were scared to disappoint (he'd probably impregnate your significant other if you fucked him over) and encouraged accountability. We haven't seen that in the locker room in a while, so I'm encouraged that someone was pissed off enough to try it. Unfortunately, your fourth string receiver and oft-injured drunken driver probably aren't the guys to get it done.

-OK, so I said last week the sky was falling and that Bulger was done. He showed life yesterday and, dare I say, even a little courage under the face of a relentless Giants pass rush. Take away the interception and give him receivers who can gain some separation, and his game yesterday looks above average. To be clear, the "good" here isn't his play; its that he isn't as awful as he appeared to be last week and might actually have some of his old form. In short, there may be a slight ray of hope. Its slight tho.

-Torry looked great yesterday. Despite not being as fast as he once was, he showed that he is still the master of that little, quick slant and that he can make the big play.

The Bad

-Half the time the run defense looks OK. The line either makes the play or ties up the blockers and puts the backers in position to make the play. But, as soon the opposing team moves gets their line moving or gets the ball to the outside, we're toast. We can only defend the run up the gut and even then, we don't have enough depth to keep teams like the Giants from wearing us out and letting their fresh-legged backup come in and get 7 yards a carry.

-On that note, LaRoi Glover shouldn't be starting in our base defense anymore. The guy plays hard and can give us quality minutes, but about two-thirds of the Giants runs were over the left side of our line where Glover and Hall were yesterday. Its time to move Carricker to UT full time and let Ryan be a space eater full time. Give the boy some pancakes and fatten him up.

-The linebackers didn't do anything spectacularly stupid yesterday, but they didn't do anything well either. Seriously, when are we going to see a big play out of the LB corps? Witherspoon is ineffective compared to last year when he seemed all over the place; Tinoisamoa admited that he was out of position on one of Bradshaw's big pass plays (hey, dumbass...stay in your lane, would ya?); Culberson is a non-factor so far. At least we didn't give up our normal 70 yards and a touchdown to the opponent's TE. (Its because we gave it to their running backs instead.)

-Brian Leonard was a scratch, second week running.

-Keeping in line with the "wasted draft pick" theme of the previous point, why on earth are our rookie wide receivers not getting more time? I'll address the play of the guys who get their minutes, but why can't the coaching staff see what is glaringly obvious to a knuckleheaded, half-drunken fan like me ... WE NEED SOME FUCKING SPEED ON OFFENSE!!!! Our receivers did not get any separation yesterday. At all. None. Zero. Zilch.

-Stephen Jackson...you know what happens when you miss training camp? Your timing is off. That's why you fall on your ass for no reason when you could've had a long TD. That's why you bang into the QB's knee on a simple handoff. And...returning to the idea of accountability, why don't you learn how to block? Seriously, you got paid and you're financially secure. Its time for you to be a teammate and do the right thing and lead by example. Otherwise you just look like a selfish prick who is upset with the musical selection on gameday. Just saying.

-Alex Barron, a favorite whipping boy in these quarters, didn't get a false start penalty yesterday, perhaps for the first time in his distinguished career. (Hey, he'll never break the all-time record for penalties by a lineman doing that!!) However, he couldn't run block worth a damn either and was beaten as often as he beat the rusher on pass defense. I'm ready to bench his lazy ass. What was that word? Oh yeah, ACCOUNTABILITY. Let one of the rookies play. What a worthless piece of crap this guy has turned out to be. I don't blame the management for taking him...the pick was reasonable given our needs and the players available. I blame him for pissing his talent away. Maybe we can send him to whatever football purgatory Claude Wroten is serving time in.

The Ugly
    -Corey. Chavous. Is. Done.

-In case the previous point was unclear, we need to get rid of this guy now. Yeah, he made a bunch of tackles yesterday. But what good is a safety who regularly gets beat deep. He is the, ya know, SAFETY. He got burned two or three times yesterday by Toomer and looks out of place a lot on help coverages. And for all the tackles he made yesterday, I guarantee he missed more than he made. Its time for Todd Johnson.

-I was skeptical of OJ Atogwe until about halfway through last season when he seemed to be making plays, finally making tackles, and generally being OK in coverage. I'm back to being skeptical. Two weeks, two humongous burns by a double move. Yesterday was particularly embarassing because he was in a position to make a play to either side if he just stood fucking still. Yes, that's right...he actually played himself out of the play.

-I can't believe Tye Hill was in the starting lineup still. Even the coaching staff doesn't get it...HEY, ASSHOLES, WE NEED ACCOUNTABILITY? After the secondary getting abused for the second week in a row - this time by a guy old enough to be playing in a wheel chair - you know what Hill had to say? "We're playing better than that." Uh, Tye, no you're not. The proof is in the pudding, bub, and if you're getting torched by senior citizens and back-ups, what do you think is going to happen when you play a team with quality receivers like Arizona?

-Where the fuck is Adam Carricker? The guy played great last year and has been a no show so far this year. I'm assuming his injury is still bugging him and he's trying, but unless we hear that I'm going to assume he's just sucking like everyone else on defense.

-If Brett Romberg is really our best center, then we need to wake up and realize he has only been healthy enough to start for about a third of the games he's been here. That means we need someone better than Nick Leckey to back him up.

-I'm sorry, but I'm increasingly un-impressed by Richie Incognito. Yeah he has some nasty, but he's playing like he stepped in something nasty this season. Our guards got abused by the interior defensive line of the Giants yesterday. At least Goldberg's excuse is that he's not that good. What's Richie's problem?

-That is what it took for Linehan to finally lose his temper? Geez coach, were were you the last 20 games or so? Douche.

-Oh, and fuck Bennie and Burwell. It took *that* for you guys to write those columns. Grow a pair, would ya? Its been obvious for some time this franchise was headed in the wrong direction. And if Linehan quits, I'll have less respect for him because he'll be forfeiting a lot of money. OF COURSE HE WON'T QUIT, even if he has no pride...its a stupid financial move.

-Color me unimpressed by our new coaching staff. Can we have the old offensive line coach back who yells at the players? The new approach doesn't seem to be working. Oh, and how about the old seconary coach? They played better for him than this guy.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Holy crap, I forgot the receivers!! How could I forget them? More "ugly":

-Dante Hall. Why is this guy getting minutes? When he was in his prime he wasn't a very good receiver. He isn't in his prime. Drop him, bring up Stanley (who did a nice job returning last year) and get some more speed on offense.

-Looker...again, why is this guy starting? I like Dane and he's a fine fifth wide receiver. But why are we giving him minutes over Burton and Avery?
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Perhaps my memory is time and relativity-influenced, but wasn't Incognito decent (after a rocky start) when pressed in to duty at Center in '06? I know he had problems with snaps at first, but my dusty recollection is that he was playing adequately there by the end of the year.

Might he replace Leckey at C to make room for Greco on the line?

-RBB

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain View Post
        Perhaps my memory is time and relativity-influenced, but wasn't Incognito decent (after a rocky start) when pressed in to duty at Center in '06? I know he had problems with snaps at first, but my dusty recollection is that he was playing adequately there by the end of the year.

Might he replace Leckey at C to make room for Greco on the line?

-RBB
        Yeah, he was OK at C but he doesn't want to play it and he's a hot-head. I'm not sure that's the answer either. Its too bad Setterstrom went down with an injury (again).

Comment

I thought Avery was out hurt until I saw him returning kicks in the fourth quarter. Not using him is fucking pitiful.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            I thought Avery was out hurt until I saw him returning kicks in the fourth quarter. Not using him is fucking pitiful.
            You almost sounded surprised that the franchise did something pitiful. Hopefully this is more a statement on how well he knows the offense than on his performance, because if they blew that draft pick when the kid that killed us last week had at least one good game...well, the dome will fall in on itself.

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy View Post
              You almost sounded surprised that the franchise did something pitiful. Hopefully this is more a statement on how well he knows the offense than on his performance, because if they blew that draft pick when the kid that killed us last week had at least one good game...well, the dome will fall in on itself.
              We should be so lucky.

Comment

But what would we have to bitch about on Sundays in the Fall then?

Comment

The crowd really tried to get into the game. IMO, they did their part to make it a pretty good scene. Too bad the players decided to quit.
                  Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                    The crowd really tried to get into the game. IMO, they did their part to make it a pretty good scene. Too bad the players decided to quit.
                    Crowd was louder than any game last year. The Rams just suck. And let's not forget the Giants are a pretty good football team. They're going to win a lot of games again this year, but once it went bad, the Rams laid down.
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

But what would we have to bitch about on Sundays in the Fall then?
                      The Blues.

Comment

-Keeping in line with the "wasted draft pick" theme of the previous point, why on earth are our rookie wide receivers not getting more time? I'll address the play of the guys who get their minutes, but why can't the coaching staff see what is glaringly obvious to a knuckleheaded, half-drunken fan like me ... WE NEED SOME FUCKING SPEED ON OFFENSE!!!! Our receivers did not get any separation yesterday. At all. None. Zero. Zilch.
                        Remember when Ricky Proehl was the 4th reciever?

I was stunned when Avery came on to field a kick. I thought he wasn't playing because of injury. If he can field a kick he can line up at wideout, obviously. Given that, them starting Looker over him is a pretty glaring admission they should have taken the guy Philly did.

The combo of slow receivers and bad line will ruin what's left of Bulger.

What a freaking mess.

Comment

I'm fed up with Dante Hall. He brings nothing to the table at this point - he looks tentative as a return man and just flat-out slow as a receiver. Avery and Burton need to start getting the minutes that are going to Hall and Looker. And I have a hard time believing that Stanley couldn't do just as well, if not better, than Hall on returns.

Seemed like Gary Stills had a nice game on ST. Massey has been playing well too - he definitely brings more to the table than just his long-snapping skills. I thought that, with the exception of the return at in the 4th quarter, ST looked pretty good. Brown nailed two long FGs and his kickoffs have been decent (better than Wilkins' kickoffs had been the last few years).

What happened on that play where it looked like Jackson was going to break off a monster TD run? I couldn't really tell from my vantage point.

BTW, there were some minor improvements made at the dome:
                          - Better, more current and appropriate music.
                          - Drumline, although I think they're still trying to figure out what to do with them.
                          - Jim "Voice of God" Holder no longer allowed to read commercials. A woman now reads the commercials, and her voice is so much more pleasant and less obtrusive.
                          - Upgraded banners, including Faulk's retired number - looks much better now.

Comment

Originally posted by Box & Won View Post
                            I'm fed up with Dante Hall. He brings nothing to the table at this point - he looks tentative as a return man and just flat-out slow as a receiver. Avery and Burton need to start getting the minutes that are going to Hall and Looker. And I have a hard time believing that Stanley couldn't do just as well, if not better, than Hall on returns.

Seemed like Gary Stills had a nice game on ST. Massey has been playing well too - he definitely brings more to the table than just his long-snapping skills. I thought that, with the exception of the return at in the 4th quarter, ST looked pretty good. Brown nailed two long FGs and his kickoffs have been decent (better than Wilkins' kickoffs had been the last few years).

What happened on that play where it looked like Jackson was going to break off a monster TD run? I couldn't really tell from my vantage point.

- Drumline, although I think they're still trying to figure out what to do with them.
                            - Jim "Voice of God" Holder no longer allowed to read commercials. A woman now reads the commercials, and her voice is so much more pleasant and less obtrusive.

Now if they could just improve what they trot out there on the field, they'd be set.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Box & Won View Post
                              I agree completely with this, except for the return teams. The blocking is still crap and so are the returners.

He tripped on his wallet...errr, the turf.

Thanks, that's nice to hear.

Comment

Working...
                              X