Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kim Jong Il may have suffered stroke

FYI:

SEOUL, South Korea - There was no sign of Kim Jong Il at a closely watched parade Tuesday marking the 60th anniversary of North Korea's founding, as a U.S. intelligence report said he may have suffered a stroke.

A U.S. intelligence official said there is reason to believe Kim Jong Il, 66, is sick after he failed to show up at the national celebration. That official and another U.S. source spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

In a broadcast monitored in Seoul, Korean Central Television showed North Korea's No. 2 leader and other officials atop a viewing stand. Kim Jong Il was not shown.

"It does appear that Kim Jong-Il has suffered a health setback, potentially a stroke," an official told Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.
    She said there have been no signs of a change in governing power and that assessing whether Kim was still capable of governing would "call for a lot of speculation."

Earlier, South Korea's largest daily, the Chosun Ilbo, said Kim collapsed last month, citing a South Korean diplomatic source in Beijing.

Kim has not been seen in public for a month and U.S. officials were closely watching the day's military parade for signs to the leader's health. As leader, Kim attended parades for the 50th and 55th anniversary of the state founded by his father, Kim Il-sung.

North Koreans call Kim the "Dear Leader" and he holds absolute power in the Stalinist regime.

Triumphal military parade
    North Korea celebrated its 60th birthday with a triumphal military parade on Tuesday just as the hermit state appears to be backing away from a disarmament deal.

South Korea's military said the North had been massing weapons for days to show them off in its capital in a spectacle that followed a report Kim may be seriously ill.

Kim failed to show up for the anniversary parade that featured displays of armaments, legions of goose-stepping soldiers and tens of thousands of fawning North Koreans shouting praises to him in unison, according to a North Korea state TV broadcast monitored in Seoul.

Kim's health is one of the most closely guarded secrets in the world's first communist dynasty, but Kim himself, at a summit with South Korea's president in October 2007, dismissed persistent media speculation he was ill.

"I make a little move and that gets huge coverage," Kim said in rare comments. "It seems like they're fiction writers and not journalists."
    Analysts have cautioned not to read too much into the public appearances of Kim, who can drop out of sight for months and then show up in field guidance tours to military bases, farms and factories for visits described by the North's propaganda machine as showing his tireless devotion to the communist state.

"He may also not wanted to appear because international aid is drying up and the country might have had trouble giving out presents to its people to mark the anniversary," said Shunji Hiraiwa, a professor at the University of Shizuoka in Japan.

Rattling sabers

Military experts keep a close eye on these set-piece parades to see if the secretive North unveils any new weapons systems.

"The North probably wants to boost the image of its military might in order to cement unity within the country and secure a better position in the denuclearization negotiations," the Seoul daily JoongAng Ilbo cited a South Korean government official who is familiar with the North as saying.

North Korea began taking apart its Soviet-era Yongbyon nuclear plant last November as called for in a disarmament-for-aid deal it struck with five regional powers.

The North, which tested a nuclear device about two years ago, had completed most of the required disablement steps and experts said it would take a year or more for it to restart the plant.

It stopped disabling Yongbyon in August, angered by Washington's failure to drop it from a U.S. terrorism blacklist. The United States said North Korea must first agree on a system to verify Pyongyang's disclosures about its nuclear programs.

"(North Korea) has gotten about all she can get from President Bush. It's time to try to rattle the next administration a little bit and see if she can't get a little more," Richard Armitage, a former senior State Department official in the Bush administration, said at a seminar in Seoul.

Armitage said North Korea might conduct a missile test in order to ratchet up pressure.

Under Kim, the North's already anemic economy has taken a turn for the worse, while the Pyongyang leadership has used the threat of its military arsenal to squeeze concessions out of regional powers.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26622075/
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Would anyone really be able to tell the difference?

Comment

What if they tested a missile and we shot it down? Then we sent them a message, "Test THAT motherfucker!!!"

Comment

What happens if he dies? Does he have a hand-picked successor, or would there be a battle for control?

Comment

Rats runfortunate...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
            Rats runfortunate...

Fuck you, Hans Brix.

Comment

Wronwy, I'm so wronwy...
              "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

Fuck you, Hans Brix.

Comment

Now's the time for the South Koreans to come over the DMZ!
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Is this good news or bad for the U.S.?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                      Is this good news or bad for the U.S.?
                      It's good news, in that we can finally make open jokes about somebody's crippling illness.

Comment

Kim Jong Il has 3 sons. He seems to favor his youngest son, but there might be a power struggle if the old man kicks the bucket.

Kim Jong-woon probaby will take over. His older brothers were either conceived out of welock, or too fem for Kim Jong Il.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-un

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                          It's good news, in that we can finally make open jokes about somebody's crippling illness.

The Bush Admin supported keeping Terri Schiavo alive, but I'm sure they'd support pulling the plug on Kim...

I think Bush/Cheney would personally fly over, at tax payer expense of course, to pull the plug themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
                            The Bush Admin supported keeping Terri Schiavo alive, but I'm sure they'd support pulling the plug on Kim...

I think Bush/Cheney would personally fly over, at tax payer expense of course, to pull the plug themselves.
                            Offer me the job. I'd be proud to provide the service.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                              Offer me the job. I'd be proud to provide the service.
                              & you'd receive the Medal of Freedom on the WH south lawn.

Comment

Working...
                              X