• Show
Clear All

• Culpepper retires...

Adam Schefter
    Culpepper announces retirement

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Culpepper
    Just received this email from Daunte Culpepper:
    Adam,
    Since I do not have a team where I can do a press conference, I chose to write what I would have said. You are the first to get this.
    – Daunte

Farewell NFL

When free agency began this year, I had a new sense of excitement about continuing to rebuild my career in the same way that I had rebuilt my knee after my catastrophic injury in 2005. Unfortunately, what I found out was that the league did not share any of the optimism about me as an Unrestricted Free Agent that I expected. In fact, there was an overwhelming sense that there was no room for me among this year’s group of quarterbacks; whether in a starting, competing or a backup role. No matter what I did or said, there seemed to be a unified message from teams that I was not welcome to compete for one of the many jobs that were available at the quarterback position. It seems that the stance I took in both Minnesota and Miami regarding my rights as a person and player has followed me into Free Agency.

After taking a long look at my career and my personal convictions, I have decided to begin early retirement from the NFL effective immediately. Since the beginning of training camp I was told that my opportunity would come when a quarterback gets hurt. I cannot remember the last time so many QB’s have been injured during the preseason. I have been strongly encouraged from family, friends and league personnel to continue to be patient and wait for an inevitable injury to one of the starting quarterbacks in the league. I would rather shut the door to such “opportunity” than continue to wait for one of my fellow quarterback’s to suffer a serious injury. Since I was not given a fair chance to come in and compete for a job, I would rather move on and win in other arenas of life.

The decision I made in 2006 to represent myself rather than hire an agent has been an invaluable experience. I now understand why so many people within the NFL community are uncomfortable with a player really learning the business. The NFL has become more about power, money and control than passion, competition and the love of the game. Regardless of this shift, player’s rights are still supposed to be a part of this league. Since I will not be given the opportunity to honor the memory of Gene Upshaw by wearing a patch on my uniform this year, I will instead spend some of my energy applying what he taught me about standing up for what is right and not sitting down for what is clearly wrong.

I want to thank my family and my fans for their unwavering belief in me as a person and a player. I embraced both the peaks and the valleys of the game and my career. I am a better person today as a direct result of the experience of playing in the NFL. I can now focus on the enjoyment of watching some of the greatest athletes in the world play the game I love without the distraction of waiting for those elusive return phone calls.

Thankfully,
    Daunte Culpepper
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

He might be on a team if he wasn't acting as his own agent.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD View Post
      ++

Comment

Time to get his roll on somewhere else
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
          Time to get his roll on somewhere else
          AFL?

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Daniels View Post
            AFL?
            CFL is what I was thinking.
            Sponsor of:
            Brian Elliott
            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Why should this make a difference?
              Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
                Why should this make a difference?
                The man keeping him down.....

Comment

i'd rather have him than bulger

(ducks)

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

That and it seems he wants to be appointed starter.

He'll be back if he gets an offer.
                    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by bombay View Post
                      That and it seems he wants to be appointed starter.

He'll be back if he gets an offer.
                      I don't know if that's completely true. He showed up at Steelers camp willing to be the backup. 3 days later, he was released.

I will agree that he may be a mid-season replacement if somebody's QB goes down for the year.

Comment

Originally posted by i.am.js View Post
                        I don't know if that's completely true. He showed up at Steelers camp willing to be the backup. 3 days later, he was released.

CULPEPPER WANTS A CHANCE TO START

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 10, 2008, 8:54 p.m. EDT
                        Although we reported yesterday that the Steelers would sign both Byron Leftwich and Daunte Culpepper, and although both quarterbacks visited the Steelers today, so far only Leftwich has signed.
                        So why was Culpepper’s name missing from the announcement that the Steelers had signed Leftwich?
                        Apparently Culpepper wants to be more than just a backup: John Clayton of ESPN reports that Culpepper was hoping for a chance to compete for a starting job.
                        Frankly, it should be obvious to Culpepper that Ben Roethlisberger is the starter in Pittsburgh, and that the reason the Steelers called him is that they wanted a fill-in for the injured backup Charlie Batch, not because they wanted a quarterback who could challenge Roethlisberger for the top job. If Culpepper really believed he was going to get a chance to start ahead of Roethlisberger in Pittsburgh, he is about as ignorant of the way the NFL works as it’s possible for a nine-year NFL veteran to be. But he apparently did, in fact, think he would be given a chance to compete for a starting spot when he boarded the plane on his way to Latrobe.
                        Jim Wexell of SteelCityInsider.com reports that the Steelers were impressed with both Culpepper and Leftwich when they worked out at Latrobe Memorial Stadium today, but that Leftwich agreed to sign even though the Steelers gave him no assurances of a roster spot. That’s clearly the right move: NFL players who are out of work in August aren’t in a position to demand much of anything.
                        If Culpepper is able to come to that understanding, he may still sign. If not, he’s going to be out of work for a while.
                        Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
                        Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
                        Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
                        "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

I must have missed that. Definitely no misinterpretation in that article at all.

After they signed Roethlisberger to a 100mil+ deal, Daunte should have known that he had almost-zero chance of starting.

Comment

The third and fourth paragraphs are good. The first two were to be expected.

Comment

Pretty funny that Culpepper went to Pittsburgh thinking he had a chance to be the starter.
                              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                              X