19. Penn State 1-0 467
    20. Wake Forest 1-0 414
    21. Fresno State 1-0 242
    22. Utah 1-0 214
    23. UCLA 1-0 151
    24. Illinois 0-1 147
    24. South Carolina 1-0 147
    Others Receiving Votes
    Clemson 143, East Carolina 108, California 91, Boston College 36, Florida State 36, Cincinnati 35, Tennessee 30, Boise State 19, Bowling Green 17, Virginia Tech 14, Connecticut 9, Rutgers 6, Kentucky 5, Nebraska 4, Oklahoma State 3, Arizona 2, TCU 2, Tulsa 1, North Carolina 1, Notre Dame 1, Miami (FL) 1.
    Dropped From Rankings
    Clemson 9, Virginia Tech 17, Tennessee 18, Pittsburgh 25.

Clemson went from 9th to out of the poll.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

I find it hard to believe that USC plays a non-raked opponent (although a BCS important one), Mizzou plays a ranked opponent and USC shoots to #1 and MU doesnt move up the poll.

Cal...will break the top 25 in the next 1-2 weeks.

Comment

The USC win over UVA is being highly overrated...Virginia lost starters at 75% of their positions. It's like OSU beating Indiana. No one would give a shit if they actually paid attention to whats going on in college football rather than what happened last year (aka Virginia was a decent squad last year, chock full of seniors).
      Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 09-02-2008, 09:47 PM.
      You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
        The USC win over UVA is being highly overrated...Virginia lost starters at 75% of their positions. It's like OSU beating Indiana. No one would give a shit if they actually paid attention to whats going on in college football rather than what happened last year (aka Virginia was a decent squad last year, chock full of seniors).
        Overrated, perhaps, but still decidedly more impressive than wins over Georgia Southern or Youngstown, especially on the road.

Comment

I don't think it was the win itself that was significant, Nate. Rather, the doubts surrounding USC coming into this game were dispelled, at least as much as they can be in a single game.

Does USC have a quality QB? Yes.

Will Sanchez's dislocated knee be a liability? No.

How will the new, smaller offensive line perform? It remains to be seen if they can handle more talented, physical defensive lines than Virginia but there was nothing I saw on the field to suggest they can't.
          "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

For all my SEC friends...

Pac-10, Pete Carroll to SEC: Scoreboard
            September 2, 2008 7:45 PM
            Posted by ESPN.com's Ted Miller

Just the facts.

The Pac-10 is now 10-6 versus the SEC and is 6-2 in games played on the West Coast since the BCS Era began in 1998.

An SEC fan who will not tip his cap to that is simply a big dummy.

That's not an insult. It's not an opinion. Those are not words colored by emotion.

It's a statement of fact.

To not acknowledge and defer to the most fundamental measure we have as sports fans is to be either stupid of a full of it.

UCLA's 27-24 victory over 18th-ranked Tennessee even earned a tip of the cap over at Heritage Hall because USC coach Pete Carroll, like many of us on the left coast, is also weary of the SEC mythology of absolute dominance that has been woven far more from passion than substance.

"We hear a lot of stuff from the SEC -- I think that's a great statement that UCLA was able to knock those guys off," Carroll said. "I don't know what they'll say from the other side, but you can't make a stronger statement. One of their stronger teams got beaten by a first opportunity for a new coach in a new program. It was a great win for UCLA and I think it does make a big statement. I'm glad it happened."

Now, most Pac-10 fans are clear-eyed. They don't need to validate themselves by insisting that their conference rules.

They just hate sloppy argumentation. It offends the refined West Coast sensibilities.

Is the SEC the best conference? Sure. Most years.

But the gap is now and has been fairly small.

And the overwhelming, incontrovertible evidence is simply this: 10-6.

"I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Jaws and kconn, I definitely see your points. Also this is far from me saying that USC doesn't deserve the #1 ranking. They may well be the best team in the country, always super talented.

I just don't think a win over a team returning 1/3 of the players on the entire roster from last year is anything to make anyone all giddy. BCS conference, successful team last year, or not. Not only did they lose a ton of starters, they also lost quite a number of guys who were #2 on the depth chart.

It doesn't seem that people understand just how much turnover there was on that roster...it's not even close to the same team that was ranked in the top 20, top 15 for a sizeable portion of last season.

They get credit for traveling across the country to play them and they obviously took care of business in the process, but at seasons end, this victory looks more like a foregone conclusion, rather than reason to leap frog teams in the polls.
              You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

J
                They get credit for traveling across the country to play them and they obviously took care of business in the process, but at seasons end, this victory looks more like a foregone conclusion, rather than reason to leap frog teams in the polls.
                I know what you're saying. On the other hand, seeing as how the preseason polls are based on essentially nothing but speculation, I suppose we can expect some jockeying for position in the early going.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                  For all my SEC friends...
                  Jaws?

WTFHYB?

Comment

Originally posted by King View Post
                    Jaws?

WTFHYB?
                    Life sometimes intrudes on virtual reality. Sucks, I know, but there is no avoiding it.

Comment

Top 3 teams in the country: tOSU, USC and OU....in that order.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

The victory was a foregone conclusion. The reason USC jumped in the polls had nothing to do with the opponent or the final score in that game.

Let's talk Ohio State. Before last week I had OSU a 7 point favorite to beat USC. With Sanchez healthy and Wells questionable, I have USC a 7 point favorite. Now, if Wells plays a single down against Ohio I would revise the USC game to a pick'em -- no matter what OSU does in the Ohio game.

Bottom line -- USC got healthy while OSU and Georgia suffered key injuries. All three teams were relatively close in the polls so that was enough to change the CURRENT rankings. Clearly, the winner of the USC/OSU game will be the consensus #1.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                          Life sometimes intrudes on virtual reality. Sucks, I know, but there is no avoiding it.
                          Yeah, but life should not intrude on pissing kah off.

You are NEEDED in some other threads, my man.

Comment

I think it's laughable that this Mizzou-SEMO game is going to be PPV for $30.

Comment

worst week of match-ups EVAR?

no top 25 team plays another ranked team.

Comment

Working...
                              X