GDT (L) 8/30/08: Cards (Looper) at Asstros (Moehler) 6:05 cdt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT (L) 8/30/08: Cards (Looper) at Asstros (Moehler) 6:05 cdt

The St. Louis Cardinals' deficit in the NL wild card race isn't insurmountable, but they also know they can't afford to let it get that way.

The Cardinals try to bounce back from a tough loss when they continue their three-game series against the Houston Astros on Saturday at Minute Maid Park.

St. Louis (74-61) dropped the opener of this series 3-2 on Friday on Lance Berkman's two-out, walk-off home run. The Cardinals had led 2-0 after six innings, but David Newhan tied the game with a two-run homer off Kyle Lohse in the seventh.

"If you think about it, it's just in passing like 'Oh, that'd be nice to hit one one of these days," said Berkman, who has 286 homers but hadn't hit one to end a game prior to Friday. "I'm sure if you play long enough, you're going to.

"Berkman is batting .414 (12-for-29) with four doubles and two homers in the last nine games.

Friday's win was the third straight for Houston (69-66), which remains highly unlikely to make the postseason, trailing the Milwaukee Brewers by 9 1/2 games for the NL wild card.

The Cardinals fell 4 1/2 games behind the Brewers with the loss. They are also 11 games back of the Chicago Cubs in the NL Central -- their largest deficit in a division race since they finished 21 1/2 games out in 1999. Giving St. Louis a glint of hope, the Cards have six games remaining against the Cubs.

"We've still got time," Lohse told the Cardinals' official Web site. "It's running out quick, but the only thing I can say is look at the team I was on last year (the Phillies). We were down seven with 17 to go. Don't count on a Hail Mary like that every year, but it shows that it can be done."

The Cardinals look to bounce back Saturday when they hand the ball to Braden Looper (12-10, 3.94 ERA), who has pitched extremely well recently despite mixed results.

Looper pitched seven innings for the sixth consecutive start on Sunday, allowing three runs and six hits in a 6-3 win over the Braves. The right-hander is 3-3 with a 2.30 ERA in his last seven starts.

"I've got really good fastball command right now," Looper said. "If I can maintain that, it gives me a chance to succeed."

Looper is 7-5 with a 3.11 ERA in 38 career appearances against the Astros, including eight starts.

Houston starter Brian Moehler (9-5, 3.99) takes the mound with a new sense of security after the Astros announced on Friday that his contract had been extended through the 2009 season.

Moehler, who will make $2.3 million plus bonuses, also will have a mutual option for 2010.

The right-hander lost for the first time since July 4 on Monday, after he gave up four runs and six hits over 5 1-3 innings of a 9-1 defeat to the New York Mets. Moehler had won his previous five decisions.

Moehler is 3-0 with a 4.07 ERA in six starts and eight career relief appearances against the Cardinals.

AccuScore Projections

AccuScore has powered more than 10,000 simulations for every MLB game for ESPN.com, each simulated one play at a time and minimum of 10,000 times. For more, visit AccuScore.
    View more Accuscore game details
    Gameday Matchup
    W-L NIGHT GRASS STK L10
    STL - 3rd NL Central 74-61 51-41 74-61 L1 5-5
    HOU - 4th NL Central 69-66 51-47 67-65 W3 6-4

Pitching Matchup
    ST. LOUIS HOUSTON
    Braden Looper
    12-10, 3.94

Last appearance:
    8/24 vs ATL
    7.0 IP, 3 ER
    Dec = Win
    Brian Moehler
    9-5, 3.99

Last appearance:
    8/25 at NYM
    5.1 IP, 4 ER
    Dec = Loss

Injury Report
    ST. LOUIS
    · Chris Carpenter sp - Aug 30: 15-Day DL
    · Rick Ankiel cf - Aug 28: Day-To-Day
    · Mark Mulder sp - Aug 27: 60-Day DL
    · Brian Barton lf - Aug 26: 15-Day DL
    HOUSTON
    · Kazuo Matsui 2b - Aug 28: 15-Day DL
    · Lance Berkman 1b - Aug 27: Day-To-Day
    · Fantasy Injury News
    · View MLB injury report

Gameday Line
    FAVORITE OPEN CUR UNDERDOG O/U
    ST. LOUIS 125.0 106 @HOUSTON 9
    ATSSt. LouisHouston
    Record:73-61-0 (.545)69-66-0 (.511)
    As Favorite:37-33-0 (.529)28-21-0 (.571)
    As Underdog:36-28-0 (.563)41-45-0 (.477)
    At Home:37-31-0 (.544)37-29-0 (.561)
    On Road:36-30-0 (.545)32-37-0 (.464)
    Complete Accuscore Trends

Regular Season Series
    St. Louis leads 8-5 (as of Sat 8/30)
    Mon 4/7 @HOU 5, STL 3 Recap
    Tue 4/8 STL 5, @HOU 3 Recap
    Wed 4/9 STL 6, @HOU 4 Recap
    Fri 4/25 HOU 3, @STL 2 Recap
    Sat 4/26 @STL 4, HOU 3 Recap
    Sun 4/27 @STL 5, HOU 1 Recap
    Tue 5/27 HOU 8, @STL 2 Recap
    Wed 5/28 @STL 6, HOU 1 Recap
    Thu 5/29 @STL 3, HOU 2 Recap
    Fri 6/6 @HOU 6, STL 1 Recap
    Sat 6/7 STL 8, @HOU 4 Recap
    Sun 6/8 STL 5, @HOU 4 Recap
    Fri 8/29 @HOU 3, STL 2 Recap
    Aug 30, 2008 STL (Looper) @ HOU (Moehler) 7:05 PM ET
    Aug 31, 2008 STL (Wellemeyer) @ HOU (Rodriguez) 2:05 PM ET
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Every time the Cardinals have played the Astros this year they've dropped the first game and taken the next two. So, let's keep it up.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I'll be watching until the Missouri-Illinois game comes on..
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I'm picking this for shortest GDT of the year.

Comment

Loooooooooooong 2nd-deck HR by Ankiel puts the Cards up 3-0 in the first.

-RBB

Comment

And Danny and Al complain about Ty Wiggington standing where Albert always stands.

-RBB

Comment

He musta got a good look at Looper, because he just deposited one in the RF seats. 3-2 Birds.

-RBB

Comment

Looper's pitching like he wants to take a shower soon. 3-3, men on 2nd and 3rd, and no one out in the 2nd.

-RBB

Comment

Make it 6-3. Pence with a 3-run jack.

-RBB

Comment

3-run HR by Pence. 6-3 Astros, still nobody out. Pineiro, you are needed in the bullpen. Pineiro to the pen, please.
                    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

The Astros scored six runs in the first inning? Jesus.

Comment

Too bad they can't use replay for things other than home runs. That is probably the worst call I've seen all year.

Since it doesn't seem many people are watching they said the Cardinals caught a ball when it hit the ground a good three inches in front of the center fielder. Oh, and there was an Astro on second.

If my team was in the race I'd be pissed. Jesus. Not even close.

Comment

In The Game No One's Watching, 6-3 in the 5th.

Pujols has taken the batting title lead over Chipper, .361 to .358.

Game No One's Watching: 8-3 after a Blum HR. This is the way to take a quick dive out of the wild card race.

Comment

So how will the debate over whether the MVP should be from a playoff team play out this year?
                            " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

I believe this is known as "going out with a whimper."

Comment

Working...
                              X