is this child neglect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is this child neglect?

here's the situation. I drove up to a QT a couple of days ago. It was about 85 degrees outside i think. Not too hot. I parked in the front, and the car next to me had two small children sitting in the backseat in their carseats. No one else was inside. One child seemed about 1 and the other 2 or 3. The windows were rolled halfway down. I noticed the kids sitting there, so i waited to see where the parent was out of curiousity. I waited for about a minute and a half, maybe two minutes before the mother came from inside and got back in the car.

edit: the more appropriate term would be a "lack of supervision" instead of neglect.

It takes less than 10 seconds to nab a kid. Should have never happened.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

yes it's stupid. so many things can go wrong.

Comment

At minimum that's neglect.

That's criminal.
        Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
        Jesus is . . .

Comment

It's stupid, but I wouldn't have called the cops on her or anything.

Comment

yeah, i think its pretty dumb and careless.

Its an interesting situation to view from a parent's perspective.
            Some parents that i have talked to say that they have parked their cars at the very front when to pay, and others have pretty much said what others have already...that its not safe and its neglectful.

Do you think the example would warrant a child abuse/ neglect report?

Comment

So what did you do? Went in and bought a drink?

Comment

but just to play devil's advocate, i can understand her dilemma in the fact that there are two small children that she cannot carry at the same time, and maybe she had to make the stop.....fwiw she also parked on the very right side of the parking in the front, which is not visible from the inside of the store.

Comment

I don't know if it would warrant any charges or anything but a talking to by an officer or several other people will make that person think twice about doing that again. It takes just one time for their kid(s) to be taken before they would let them stay in the car at a quickie mart.
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                    So what did you do?
                    I was kinda hoping to get some more feedback from what others would do before i say what i did.

Comment

I would have approached the mother or looked for a cop.

I've done that before.. Saw a kid in the car at the food store. Wrote down license plate number and gave to store customer service and asked them to call 911. they called and took it from there.

Comment

I know it is inconvenient to unload and reload your children, but I can't imagine leaving them in the car by themselves for any amount of time.
                        If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Neutered Cat View Post
                          here's the situation. I drove up to a QT a couple of days ago. It was about 85 degrees outside i think. Not too hot. I parked in the front, and the car next to me had two small children sitting in the backseat in their carseats. No one else was inside. One child seemed about 1 and the other 2 or 3. The windows were rolled halfway down. I noticed the kids sitting there, so i waited to see where the parent was out of curiousity. I waited for about a minute and a half, maybe two minutes before the mother came from inside and got back in the car.

edit: the more appropriate term would be a "lack of supervision" instead of neglect.
                          It is illegal to leave children in a car alone, I would have called the police.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Originally posted by Neutered Cat View Post
                            I was kinda hoping to get some more feedback from what others would do before i say what i did.

You took a kid, didn't you?
                            Of course you do.

Comment

Is this?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
                              X