Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replay Approved for MLB

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3554357

NEW YORK -- Major League Baseball reversed its long-standing opposition to instant replay and will allow umpires to check video on home run calls in series that start Thursday.

Commissioner Bud Selig was scheduled to make the announcement at 5 p.m. ET Tuesday.
    Three series are scheduled to start Thursday, with Philadelphia at the Chicago Cubs, Minnesota at Oakland and Texas at the Los Angeles Angels. For other games, replays will be available to umpires starting Friday.
    The start date comes nearly 10 months after general managers voted 25-5 to use the technology and following MLB agreements with the unions for umpires and for players.
    For now, video will be used only on so-called "boundary calls," such as determining whether fly balls went over the fence or whether potential home runs were fair or foul.
    Video will be collected at the office of Major League Baseball Advanced Media in New York. If the crew chief at a game decides replay needs to be checked, umpires will leave the field, technicians at MLBAM will show umpires the video and the crew chief will make the call.
    Baseball had been the last holdout among the major professional sports in the United States. Replays were first used in the NFL in 1986.
    In the NHL, video review has been in place since the 1991-92 season to check whether the puck crossed the goal line completely, went in before time expired or the net was dislodged and wasn't kicked or batted in intentionally.
    In the NBA, replays have been viewed since the 2002-3 season to decide whether players got off shots before time expired and since last season to aid decisions following altercations and flagrant fouls. In Grand Slam tennis tournaments, a Hawk-Eye system has been used to decide close line calls since the 2006 U.S. Open.
    International soccer has refused to embrace aiding referees, with FIFA's International Board voting last March to stop all experiments with technology that could determine whether balls cross goal lines.

"If the crew chief at a game decides replay needs to be checked, umpires will leave the field, technicians at MLBAM will show umpires the video and the crew chief will make the call."

They should just go to the home teams dugout area and view the replay. What if the teams started a fight? There would be no umps to witness the events and that would have to go to replay too.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
      "If the crew chief at a game decides replay needs to be checked, umpires will leave the field, technicians at MLBAM will show umpires the video and the crew chief will make the call."

They should just go to the home teams dugout area and view the replay. What if the teams started a fight? There would be no umps to witness the events and that would have to go to replay too.
      That article is worded badly...based on what I'm hearing only the crew chief will see the replay, the rest of the umpires will stay on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post
        That article is worded badly...based on what I'm hearing only the crew chief will see the replay, the rest of the umpires will stay on the field.
        Some assbag at the AP needs to be fired
        Sponsor of:
        Brian Elliott
        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

The real assbags that need to be fired are the clowns who want this instituted during the penant drive. This should be implemented during spring training games in order to iron out the bugs.
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
            The real assbags that need to be fired are the clowns who want this instituted during the penant drive. This should be implemented during spring training games in order to iron out the bugs.
            ++

Almost sounds like Bettman became MLB commissioner and instituted this stupididty...
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Can we get a replay on the Haren/Xxxxx Xxxxxx for Mulder trade?
              Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
              Jesus is . . .

Comment

This was posted IN a thread quite a long time ago.
                *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                  What can be hard about telling if a ball is fair or foul or if it goes over the fence by looking at a replay? I'd rather them get the call right now, then to wait until spring training and have games decided by bad calls that are preventable with replay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas View Post
                    What can be hard about telling if a ball is fair or foul or if it goes over the fence by looking at a replay? I'd rather them get the call right now, then to wait until spring training and have games decided by bad calls that are preventable with replay.
                    I'm with you.

Of course it would have been great if they would have started this in Spring Training '08, but it would be stupid to not use it now and wait until next year.

Not sure if that's what kev and BF were getting at though...
                    Of course you do.

Comment

In ten years you will see every play subject to appeal and replay review, with the possible exception of balls and strikes.

Yay.

If we must proceed with this foolishness, I can't imagine why 1) they don't wait until the next fucking season b/f going off half-cocked with an untested setup and 2) there isn't a fifth umpire in a booth added to every crew instead of some silly centralized 'war room'.

Of course, I never heard anybody explain why they didn't simply add two umpires on the left field and right field foul lines to make fair/foul and homer/not homer calls, just like they fucking already do for the postseason.
                      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post

Not sure if that's what kev and BF were getting at though...
                        Being that it's new, I think we're going to see a few drawn out delays.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                          In ten years you will see every play subject to appeal and replay review, with the possible exception of balls and strikes.

Yay.

If we must proceed with this foolishness, I can't imagine why 1) they don't wait until the next fucking season b/f going off half-cocked with an untested setup and 2) there isn't a fifth umpire in a booth added to every crew instead of some silly centralized 'war room'.

Of course, I never heard anybody explain why they didn't simply add two umpires on the left field and right field foul lines to make fair/foul and homer/not homer calls, just like they fucking already do for the postseason.
                          The 'war room' approach seems to work pretty well for the NHL, though in that case it's the people in the office actually making the decision and dictating it to the on-field/ice officials.

I agree that this will eventually creep farther into the game. But as for now...I can just envision a badly blown call in a tight spot of the playoffs, say at first base or something. Then you'll hear a chorus of "they have replay for HRs, why not for this?". And it will be Annoying.

Comment

If you're going to use the technology, why not use it to make the game right?

I mean besides home run calls, why not tags and traps?

Anything except balls and strikes.

Comment

I'm glad they put it in place now instead of waiting until next season. If something was to happen during the playoffs that could have been fixed by replay and it wasn't in use yet, I think there would have been a lot of complaining.
                              Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Working...
                              X