Linux sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux sucks

I'm going to have to turn in my geek card for this, but I have to say that Linux, even Ubuntu, sucks and sucks hard. I've just spent a full night trying to get this Hardy release working on my system, and met utter failure. My machine has dual nVidia 9800 GTX+ cards, and the very best Linux drivers support the 9800 GTX, but not the 9800 GTX +. So I'm confronted by the device manager with two choices for my screen resolution - 1600x1200 and 1280x1024. Too bad neither of them is 2560x1600, my actual resolution. So I'm stuck with a non-3D accelerated screen running at half the number of pixels I should have. Swell.

And then the sound driver, which involves compiling a driver on my machine (!!). Even getting the flash player to work was a gigantic chore, and I simply don't have the guts to start configuring printing over the network.

Plus I have to contend with GRUB. Nuff said.

Anybody who says this has a chance on the desktop is an idiot. I am a very experienced user, and I am having the devil's own time setting up a system, forget about using it - the average consumer would have no chance at all.

It's been so much effort I can no longer remember why I wanted a Linux partition on this box. I'm going to scrub it off.

did you try it on a Mac?
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

2% or 7% suck?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Shark, here are a couple links I dug up that my help you. You may have already been through these:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=836647

The fact that I can get full office software, programming suites, image editing, etc. for absolutely free is why I love Linux. Yes, it can take what seems like an eternity to get all the hardware and drivers configured properly, but once done, you have a very versatile OS.
        Official Lounge sponsor of Nick Plummer
        R.I.P. Rdog, davhaf

Comment

I never cared for him either. I mean, what was up with that blue blanket?
          If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Can Of Corn View Post
            Shark, here are a couple links I dug up that my help you. You may have already been through these:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaManual
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=836647

The fact that I can get full office software, programming suites, image editing, etc. for absolutely free is why I love Linux. Yes, it can take what seems like an eternity to get all the hardware and drivers configured properly, but once done, you have a very versatile OS.
            I had read the top one, but not the bottom. Unfortunately, the bottom one ends with a message from a guy saying it doesn't work, and with the same symptoms I have.

A wise man once told me "Linux is free if your time is worth nothing". He was right. The reason I want to use Linux is because I want to develop some code using Eclipse that is going to run on a Linux platform. The configuration difficulties are far, far greater in cost than the price of the software. Particularly if you're trying to use newer hardware - I've had good (well, "better", anyway) experiences with Linux on old hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
              did you try it on a Mac?
              Why yes, as a matter of fact, I did.

Comment

Why you hatin' on poor lil' ol' Tux?
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                  Why yes, as a matter of fact, I did.
                  Can't help ya then
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                    I'm going to have to turn in my geek card for this, but I have to say that Linux, even Ubuntu, sucks and sucks hard. I've just spent a full night trying to get this Hardy release working on my system, and met utter failure. My machine has dual nVidia 9800 GTX+ cards, and the very best Linux drivers support the 9800 GTX, but not the 9800 GTX +. So I'm confronted by the device manager with two choices for my screen resolution - 1600x1200 and 1280x1024. Too bad neither of them is 2560x1600, my actual resolution. So I'm stuck with a non-3D accelerated screen running at half the number of pixels I should have. Swell.
                    Let me see if I understand this correctly because, you know, I have been rather out of the loop.

You are complaining at the Linux box because the manufacturer has not released the drivers for it?

Do you complain at your vehicle if/when the local garage does not have your tyres in stock?

And then the sound driver, which involves compiling a driver on my machine (!!). Even getting the flash player to work was a gigantic chore, and I simply don't have the guts to start configuring printing over the network.
                    Actually setting up network printing will probably be one of the easier things to do. Regardless though you are quite correct, the compiling drivers and programmes on the user machine has to come to a stop. I realise Linux is for geeks by geeks, but it has moved beyond the point of tiresome.
                    And I think Adobe made Flash a bigger pain in the arse than Macro did.
                    "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
                    "I didn't know you
                    had any feelings"

Comment

Originally posted by SunuvaNun View Post
                      Do you complain at your vehicle if/when the local garage does not have your tyres in stock?
                      If my vehicle takes goofy-ass proprietary tires I do.
                      To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Working...
                      X