Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand's move no betrayal, just a fresh start

Brand's move no betrayal, just a fresh start

So Elton Brand has abandoned the Clippers for the 76ers. Remember, this is the guy who supposedly gave his word to take less so the team could get better. They did, reaching a verbal agreement with Baron Davis, who supposedly isn't swayed by this newest development.

But Brand, in what some consider typical NBA fashion, chose money over loyalty, cash over his word, chasing his own interests over commitment to an organization.

To this I say: Please. This is Elton Brand, one of the league's most acclaimed good guys. George Pataki, with whom Brand shares a hometown, Peekskill, N.Y., once suggested the star power forward could have a run at mayor in his post-basketball future. Brand is known the league over for his lack of ego, his selfless devotion to a Clippers franchise that's frequently a laughingstock and to Donald Sterling, an owner best known for his cheapness.

Brand's game has raised being the blue-collar banger, rebounder and garbage man to an All-Star art, despite being a little too short for the position. He's all heart, but rarely crows about it.

In short, if Elton Brand is guilty of free agent betrayal, it's time to reconsider the rules we fans have set. Sure, it would've been unbelievably noble for Brand to stay with the Clippers for less. But think about how much he has given that lackluster organization. Fine, he went back on a promise and hamstrung a franchise looking to make a playoff run.

Going to Philly, though, isn't exactly ring-chasing; it is a fresh start. There's more money on the table, yes, so there's that element of cynicism. But can't we just acknowledge that Brand had a change of heart, and between the added funds and promising new situation, made a decision to move on?

Is this better or worse than Carlos Boozer betraying Gordon Gund? Well, the Booze would've been sacrificing far more coin. But he had far less of a record of service. That's the difference: If anyone deserves a break or demands we lower our standards, it's Elton Brand.

Some could say that this will begin a plague of shadiness in which honor disintegrates left and right as players simply opt for the highest pay. Brand was a moral pillar, and he hath fallen.

But Gilbert Arenas took less money to stay with the Wizards, which actually helps the team quite a bit. It's that kind of thing that builds a reputation for loyalty and honor, the kind of thing Brand always stood for.

That the former Duke standout has supposedly gone back on all he stands for is a foolish bind for us to place him in -- he did the right thing forever, and now has decided to take a slight turn toward self-interest.

This line of reasoning is especially fresh in light of the latest word from Los Angeles. Via FanHouse, we learn that Brand's pride took a hit here, a right we should certainly allow him. A brief recap: Brand supposedly agrees to a lesser contract with the Clippers despite a comparable offer from Philly. Golden State throws a huger offer at him. This gets Brand thinking. Philly clears out some space, the Clippers fail to do so, or fail to do so fast enough. Brand sees how badly the Sixers want him, sees the fresh team brewing over there, and decides it's time to move on.

In a way, Brand's track record put him in this position. We'd expect nothing less than this kind of self-interested shuffle from any other player. We'd debate whether going to the Sixers counted as slumming, or if leaving the Clippers meant leaving a sinking ship at last.

But this is Elton Brand. The walking gold standard. If anyone ever deserved the benefit of the doubt, he does.

And maybe, just maybe, this will change the way we look at the supposedly greedy, nefarious, heartless maneuverings of NBA free agents. They want money, but they also want to win. They want to stick with a good thing, but they need to feel acknowledged.

To expect anything less than this, or hold even the best men among them to a ridiculous standard, is unfair to athletes and the fans who cheer them.
    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

What a biased article... he made a verbal commitment to the Clips, the Clips showed him that they want to win by going out and getting a top point guard, and then he bailed. Simple as that.
    “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Why is it biased?

Comment

Because it desperately tries to paint him in a different light. He gets the benefit of the doubt that hes not your typical money-chasing athlete because hes "Elton Brand".
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

So, it's biased because you don't agree with him?

lol

Comment

You can look at it that way. But Elton Brand isnt any different than any other athlete that chases money. The article tries to portray him as such but comes up short, IMO.

I am an unbiased observer, I dont dislike Brand and I dont like either the Clips or the Sixers any better than the other. If you are a Sixer fan, you're obviously more prone to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy View Post
              You can look at it that way. But Elton Brand isnt any different than any other athlete that chases money. The article tries to portray him as such but comes up short, IMO.

I am an unbiased observer, I dont dislike Brand and I dont like either the Clips or the Sixers any better than the other. If you are a Sixer fan, you're obviously more prone to buy it.
              I just posted the article. I don't care one way or the other. He's a Sixer. Fuck the Clippers. I don't owe them anything.

And the truth is, the article is biased because it's an opinion article. But your opinion is biased no matter how much you pretend it's not, also.

Comment

I LOL'd.
                You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Working...
                X