Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan's Musharraf resigns to avoid impeachment

linkage

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf, who came to power in a coup nine years ago and was a key U.S. ally in its campaign against terrorism, quit office on Monday to avoid impeachment charges.

"Whether I win or lose, the nation will lose," Musharraf, 65, said in an hour-long televised address in which he passionately defended his record.

"The honor and dignity of the country will be affected and in my view, the honor of the office of president will also be affected."

Prolonged jockeying and uncertainty over Musharraf's position had hurt financial markets in the nuclear-armed country of 165 million people, and raised concerns in Washington and elsewhere that it was distracting from efforts to tackle militancy.

Coalition officials had said earlier Musharraf had sought immunity from prosecution but he said in his speech he was asking for nothing.

"I don't want anything from anybody. I have no interest. I leave my future in the hands of the nation and people," he said.

Pakistani stocks jumped 4 percent on the news and the rupee, which had lost a quarter of its value this year, began strengthening.

"It eliminates all the uncertainty in the market and I think the political uncertainty is coming to an end," said Asad Iqbal, managing director at Ismail Iqbal Securities.
    Dude. Can. Fly.

Remember how delighted hillary and others were to run Obama out of the race a year ago, when he revealed his "inexperience"? Obama would have been a great nominee. His inexperience ended his campaign last august 9, 2007----uhh----no it didn't. But the media had a feast about it for a while.

Musharraf Sends a Message

Well that didn't take long. Soon after Mr. Obama issued his "If we have actionable intelligence about high-value terrorist targets and President Musharraf won't act, we will" statement, Musharraf sent a message. It had a duel purpose, not the least of which was telegraphing a warning to his benefactor, the United States, but also offering some aid to Bush on the foreign policy front. Because let's face it, alarm bells are always ringing in Pakistan. But Obama provided the opening and Musharraf took it. He needs serious allies in the U.S. to survive. Anyone sounding even remotely antagonistic will hear from him. After all, it's not like at this point in time we don't need Musharraf. Bush hasn't left us with many options in that region; a place where we know al Qaeda is training and bin Laden and others are hiding out. We all may want to change the dynamic, but it sure isn't going to happen easily, quickly or through presidential campaign rhetoric. Musharraf wanted to make sure everyone understands what's at stake. He also wanted to throw a bone to Bush, who has become his buddy.
    The government of embattled Pakistani President Gen. Pervez Musharraf said Thursday it may impose a state of emergency because of “external and internal threats” and deteriorating law and order in the volatile northwest near the Afghan border.
    Tariq Azim, minister of state for information, said some sentiment coming from the United States, including from Democratic presidential hopeful Barak Obama, over the possibility of U.S. military action against al-Qaida in Pakistan “has started alarm bells ringing and has upset the Pakistani public.” ... ..
    Pakistan leader may impose state of emergency
    President cites ‘external and internal threats,’ deteriorating order
    "Alarm bells ringing and has upset the Pakistani public." Puh-leaze. We're talking about Pakistan, people. So if you ask me, this little display of emotional PR blackmail was really in Bush's honor and less about Obama. Musharraf was sending a message, not the least of it focused on appreciation for what the Bush-Cheney group has meant to the general's very neck.
    v

Comment

Yeah, that's really too bad that we didn't put any pressure on Musharraf to help hunt down Bin Laden, cause, you know, that would have caused instability in Pakistan leading to his removal, and maybe worse with all those nukes they got.

Yeah, too bad that.

Moon

Comment

Too bad our President won't resign to avoid an impeachment that he should be getting.
        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
          Too bad our President won't resign to avoid an impeachment that he should be getting.
          Does it really matter at this point?
          Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
            Yeah, that's really too bad that we didn't put any pressure on Musharraf to help hunt down Bin Laden, cause, you know, that would have caused instability in Pakistan leading to his removal, and maybe worse with all those nukes they got.

Yeah, too bad that.

Moon
            TTB was scared.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD View Post
              TTB was scared.
              But the Democrats ... ?
              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

When it comes to OBL, it shouldn't matter what party you're affiliated with. If going into Pakistan is needed to catch the fucker, we should do it. Nothing or no one should stand in our way.

Comment

When it comes to OBL, it shouldn't matter what party you're affiliated with. If going into Pakistan is needed to catch the fucker, we should do it. Nothing or no one should stand in our way.
                  been saying that for 7 years.
                  Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Getting OBL won't mean dick other then make us feel better about 9/11. Not that I wouldn't like it its just not worth the downside.

If OBL were in Russia...would we just say...hey fuck you Russians and your soverignity...we are going to go in and get the boogie man.

That would be dumb wouldn't it as it could well kick off a world war...and so would taking our army into Pakistan unless their government is onboard with it. Shooting a missile to a precise spot that we know he is there...different story. They would be pissed...but it would pass.

Getting OBL isn't worth the potential downside. Just my opinion. Make your jokes if you want. I don't care. Being cynical isn't an argument.

What we need to do is make Pakistan WANT to cooperate. Giving them sacks of dough...for essentially nothing. Now that is pretty dumb.
                    Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Does it really matter at this point?
                      That's where we differ, I guess. I think that he took the presidency to awful places that nobody has ever done before. He desecrated the constitution and he acted more like a King than a president. I don't think our country/government should just let that kind of shit go. And I have to say that I'm especially sensitive about this debate considering that we impeached our last president (whom I didn't think was a good president either, BTW) for getting a blow job and lying about it.
                      *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
                        That's where we differ, I guess. I think that he took the presidency to awful places that nobody has ever done before. He desecrated the constitution and he acted more like a King than a president. I don't think our country/government should just let that kind of shit go. And I have to say that I'm especially sensitive about this debate considering that we impeached our last president (whom I didn't think was a good president either, BTW) for getting a blow job and lying about it.
                        It was about lying under oath. Hell, politicians lie every day though luckily not under oath.

He should have just told the truth. Lying was stupid.
                        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB View Post
                          Getting OBL won't mean dick other then make us feel better about 9/11. Not that I wouldn't like it its just not worth the downside.

Yeah man, good call.
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Working...
                          X