Big XII considered "Top BCS Conference" for '08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big XII considered "Top BCS Conference" for '08

It should be noted that I usually do my best to seriously dislike the Big 12.
    What's not to dislike? Choke-lahoma and that raving, 41-year-old "man" who coaches at Oklahoma State aren't easy to rally behind.

The 'Horns haven't been off the hook since Vince Young left for the NFL. In recent seasons, the Nebraska Blackshirts defense seemed incapable of preventing a sportswriter from scoring at the Playboy mansion.

Kansas used to have more NFL prospects on its basketball team and Missouri hadn't shown us much in years.

But things certainly turned around last season, with the final national poll listing four Big 12 teams in the top 10. All four should be capable of rolling again, although the deep thinkers still need another year of convincing from Kansas.

According to preseason rankings conducted by our pals at CollegeFootballNews.com, seven Big 12 teams are listed in the top 35; the SEC has seven in the top 37. While this is subjective and quantifies nothing, it does suggest quality depth in a conference that, at least, should be a runaway as the most entertaining to watch.

While bowing to the SEC's rank as the nation's foremost league over the last 10 years, the Big 12's edge for 2008 is attached to the return of 10 starting quarterbacks.

Calling roll, we find that Chase Daniel (Missouri), Sam Bradford (Oklahoma), Todd Reesing (Kansas), Colt McCoy (Texas) and Graham Harrell (Texas Tech) are among the top pitch men in the nation.

Harrell, receiving dynamo Michael Crabtree and a veteran offensive line could make the Red Raiders this year's sleeper squad if the defense can make a few stops.

Colorado, with QB Cody Hawkins and the nation's top running back recruit (Darrell Scott) in tow, is far from an intramural program, while Bo Pelini seems poised to put some pop back in the Cornhuskers.
    Mike Sherman should be an upgrade at Texas A&M and Mike Gundy's 2007 rant deflected attention away from what has become a solid Cowboy program.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8451374

LOVE me some Big XII!!!
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I would agree with that. I think the SEC still probably has the best overall vibe just because of the rabid fanbase, but the Big 12 definitely proved itself last year. Hopefully, that will carry through for a while.
      The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Originally posted by skippy05 View Post
        I would agree with that. I think the SEC still probably has the best overall vibe just because of the rabid fanbase, but the Big 12 definitely proved itself last year. Hopefully, that will carry through for a while.
        I wish we could off load Baylor and bring Arkansas into the fold.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I think it's probably a coin toss between the SEC and Big 12 this year.

Big Ten > Pac 10, though.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
            I think it's probably a coin toss between the SEC and Big 12 this year.

Big Ten > Pac 10, though.
            WAC all the way. Loves me some Fresno State...
            The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

I think there are to ways to judge.. one is who has the most competitive teams (lets say teams that will win games against top 15 opponents), and then there is which conference really has a national title contender every year.
              Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Working...
              X