Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zakaria: What Bush got right

Don't post this stuff much: Interesting read from Zakaria
    Last edited by 007; 08-14-2008, 07:48 PM.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Fareed Zakaria rules.

Comment

Why is it, when I click on that link, I go to windowsxp-privacy.net and an offer to sell me Antivirus 09?
      Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
        Why is it, when I click on that link, I go to windowsxp-privacy.net and an offer to sell me Antivirus 09?

I got a "problem loading page" message, then my Norton came up and said it blocked some "high risk" something or other...
        Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

I know I copy/pasted it right the first time, but it's fixed...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Consider as a symbol of this shift Bush's appointment of the World Bank's president. His first choice for the job was Paul Wolfowitz, an arch neoconservative with little background in economics. But by the time Wolfowitz was forced to resign and the post opened up again, Bush realized that he needed a less ideological choice, and he picked the highly qualified and respected Robert Zoellick.
            He fucked up, went with a neocon with little experience in finance, screwed shit up so bad a change had to be made, in his second choice he didn't do so bad....
            Damn he/we should so proud.

I Know... it's yaks, but seriously, is that fuckup and later fixing it a great example to use for "What Bush got right"

Come on if he pulls out of Iraq tomorrow is that an example of his flawless Iraq policy?
            Last edited by madyaks; 08-14-2008, 07:59 PM.
            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks View Post
              He fucked up, went with a neocon with little experience in finance, screwed shit up so bad a change had to be made, in his second choice he didn't do so bad....

I Know... it's yaks, but seriously, is that fuckup and later fixing it a great example to use for "What Bush got right"

Come on if he pulls out of Iraq tomorrow is that an example of his flawless Iraq policy?
              I don't think he's arguing that Bush was a great president, or hell, even a good one. More to the point, whoever wins in November shouldn't make a point of reversing every single thing Bush has done because, whether he got it 'right' his first or eighth time, there are some things that can't be considered a failure.

Overall, Bush's presidency may be an utter failure. Barry knows I think that's the case. But that doesn't mean that everything he's done has been the wrong thing. In your case, he could have replaced Wolfowitz with someone just as bad. He didn't - he made a better choice.
              Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks View Post

Yaks, I can see where this would be truly foreign ground for you, but when you correct a mistake, you've done...."right."

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
                  Yaks, I can see where this would be truly foreign ground for you, but when you correct a mistake, you've done...."right."
                  Well, I know I'll be celebrating Jason Isringhausen's magnificent season with Cristal and Beluga when (if) he gets his next save. Because, you know, he got a save, which is what he's supposed to do.

Moon

Comment

I don't think he's arguing that Bush was a great president, or hell, even a good one. More to the point, whoever wins in November shouldn't make a point of reversing every single thing Bush has done because, whether he got it 'right' his first or eighth time, there are some things that can't be considered a failure.

Overall, Bush's presidency may be an utter failure. Barry knows I think that's the case. But that doesn't mean that everything he's done has been the wrong thing. In your case, he could have replaced Wolfowitz with someone just as bad. He didn't - he made a better choice.
                    Yeah I agree that is what he was saying, I was just pointing out that one of the first things he chose to point it out was something he got right only because he fucked up in the first place.
                    And if you look at the fuckup, not to relive the mess, but he made that appointment on politics, not because he was in any way qualified.
                    I just think they could have left that off their list of "What Bush got right"
                    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                      Well, I know I'll be celebrating Jason Isringhausen's magnificent season with Cristal and Beluga when (if) he gets his next save. Because, you know, he got a save, which is what he's supposed to do.

Moon
                      The hard bigotry of high expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post

Only if you correct it correctly...
                        " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

So the argument for Bush is that he fucked up for so badly for 6+ years that when he finally backed down on a couple of his more idiotic positions that's 'what he got right'? Congrats, W, you listened to your critics, finally, and managed to be a barely passable president for a year.

"George W Bush: when he did what the Dems wanted, he was a decent president!"

or

"George W Bush: he didn't fuck up at every opportunity!"
                          Last edited by InSighT; 08-14-2008, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Newsweek should not be allowed to publish such articles, obviously.

And the cover to boot!

Comment

Has Bush started a war today?

No? Well done, sir! Kudos to you!

Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X