Cardinals Prospects Moving Through The Minors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals Prospects Moving Through The Minors

I like the way guys are moving through the system these days. Jess Todd, for instance, made his first AAA start today. Motte closed it for him. Kosma is at Palm Beach already, and will probably start next season in Springfield. Wallace won't be far behind. Rasmus, of course, in in AAA at 21. I really like the way they're letting the good players move through the system at a much faster pace than they did as recently as a few years ago. No more John Galls sitting in triple a for 3 seasons. Move 'em up, see what they can do, and bring them to the big club quickly if they can play. It probably increases the trade value of a lot of these guys, too. I don't know if this is Luhnow's deal or Mozeliak's, but I like it.
    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

I agree with your premise, but I think another big reason why so many players are moving through at such a high rate is there's just a ton more talent than there was even a few years ago.

And I'm thinking Wallace will start in AA next year, but he'll be in Memphis pretty quickly. The only thing he needs help on is his defense.
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
      I agree with your premise, but I think another big reason why so many players are moving through at such a high rate is there's just a ton more talent than there was even a few years ago.

And I'm thinking Wallace will start in AA next year, but he'll be in Memphis pretty quickly. The only thing he needs help on is his defense.
      No doubt that's part of it. Availability of positions on the big league club is part of it, too. They just aren't letting grass grow under these guys anymore, though, and I think it's a very good philosophy. Move 'em throught the system and see if they can play, or what you can trade them for if they don't have a spot. Yeah, and I see Wallace in AAA next year, too.

A.C.

Comment

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs...344/-1/BLOGS01

Movin' on up

St. Louis has shown of late it isn't afraid to send prospects to next level.

Erin Bolen • News-Leader • August 11, 2008

Justin Fiske got called up to Springfield so quickly, he had to leave some of his things in Palm Beach, Fla.

Purchase this Photo

Southpaw Justin Fiske is one of many players in the St. Louis Cardinals organization making quick moves through their minor league system. (Kary Booher / News-Leader)

The left-handed pitcher was in the Florida State League for three games and nine days before he was called up to Double-A.

"I left some of the stuff that wasn't worth dealing with," Fiske said. "I might just leave it there and get it next spring training."

Many things have changed about the St. Louis Cardinals' minor-league system since John Vuch took over in December 2006.

Fiske's quick rise illustrates a notable one: The Cardinals have become extremely aggressive at promoting players to the next level.

"I think that you've seen under this regime that we have moved players probably more than anybody in baseball because we are not afraid to put our younger players at the stretch level," St. Louis minor league hitting coordinator Dan Radison said.

Radison was in Springfield for the Cardinals' four-game series with the Tulsa Drillers last weekend. He spends the season traveling among the organization's minor-league affiliates.

Springfield manager Pop Warner has noticed the recent trend toward quick promotion and said it has become even more evident this season.

"It's been a really aggressive approach in promoting our players," Warner said "We challenge the ones that are ready to be challenged."

Pitcher Jess Todd just received one of those challenges. A second-round pick in 2007, Todd was promoted to Triple-A Memphis on Sunday. Todd, who first pitched for the organization in June 2007, was 4-5 with a 2.97 earned run average with Springfield.

Purchase this Photo

Jess Todd, who was called up to Memphis on Sunday, was 4-5 with a 2.97 ERA during his time with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals. (News-Leader file photo)

Now one level away from the major leagues, Todd has been with the Cardinals' organization for 14 months.

Warner mentioned Fiske, Marco Gonzalez and Josh Dew among other players who have responded well to moving quickly through the ranks.
        Gonzalez spent two years in rookie, short-season and Low-A baseball, but he was in Palm Beach only a month before being called up to Springfield. Dew, a 14th-round pick in 2007, was called up for the first time in April, 10 months after he was drafted.

Fiske, who was picked up from the Northern League's Joliet Jackhammers last year, started the 2008 season with Low-A Quad Cities. With his promotion to Springfield in late May, he'd been through four levels of the Cardinals' minor-league system in 10 months.

"I think it's hard to ever expect that, especially being in (independent) baseball this time last year," Fiske said. "I came out of (independent) ball just looking for a chance to play, and I got the chance and made the best of it."

Some of the aggressive promotion, like Fiske, was prompted by injuries at every level of the organization.

But notably, the Cardinals haven't signed career minor leaguers or other veterans to fill those gaps. Instead, they've forced their younger players to fill in for the injured players.

The quick, and sometimes injury-induced, promotions sometimes put the minor-league clubs in a difficult situation.

"It makes it a little bit tough on me when they send a guy up here who is maybe ready offensively but fundamentally maybe not as ready as he should be at this level," Warner said.

"But as far as people in and out, that happens all the time. My job here is to get guys ready to go to the next level."

Warner has done that. The Cardinals have promoted 13 players to Triple-A Memphis this season, though not all of them have stuck.

Six of the 10 players on Springfield's opening-day lineup are currently with the Redbirds.

"(The players we're moving) are prospects of some sort that are getting the opportunity to prove that they're definite prospects," Radison said. "We're not keeping guys behind at a lower level just so that we can win ball games at the minor leagues."

Funny thing is, the minor-league teams are winning. Of the Cardinals minor-league affiliates, only the Gulf Coast Cardinals, Dominican Summer League Cardinals and Venezuelan Summer League Cardinals are below .500 as of Saturday's games.

As for the policy's effect on the players, it can leave their heads spinning. But as long as they continue to move up the ranks, they're willing to leave some of their lives behind to continue the climb.

"I was only in High-A for, like, nine days before I came up," Fiske said, "so I think they saw something in me that I could get people out."

In the Cardinals' aggressive system, nine days apparently is plenty of time to make an impression.

-RBB

Comment

Wow. Thanks, RBB. Good article, and I wasn't just imagining the new philosophy, I guess.

A.C.

Comment

Yeah, the Springfield's News-Leader's baseball coverage has been pretty strong of late.

Don't know if it's directly related or not, but the organization has been very college-heavy on it's drafts the last few years. College prospects are generally more polished and lend themselves to more aggressive promotion schedule. I'm sure there's a philosophy change in regards to player development, but they guys they've selected have generally been well suited to the new strategy, too.

-RBB

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post

John Gall was a legend only on message boards. He really wasn't anything more than a AAAA guy. But that's how bad the system was a few years ago. There are prob a good 6 or 7 outfielders in the minors that are more talented than him.

And I would expect Wallace to be in STL by the end of next season if he keeps hitting.
              Official Lounge Sponsor
              Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Oh and screw these prospects. We should have traded 3 of them to Colorado for Fuentes or to Atlanta for Will Ohmen.

Signed,
                Benies Pressbox & Cards Talk
                Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
                  Oh and screw these prospects. We should have traded 3 of them to Colorado for Fuentes or to Atlanta for Will Ohmen.

Signed,
                  There were plenty of people around here that would have endorsed that letter, too.

Maybe these prospects will work out, maybe they won't, but keeping them stockpiled was the right decision I think. Trading someone like Anderson is something we should do when we are more of a contender and less of a pretender.

Comment

I see no reason to trade Anderson.

If he's as good as I read, why not trade Molina in a year or two? Or, keep them both for as long as you can?
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post

If he's as good as I read, why not trade Molina in a year or two? Or, keep them both for as long as you can?
                      Molina isn't going anywhere. I would hate to us trade a franchise player like that. I would be all for keeping Anderson, but you also wouldn't see me bitching if when in a year or two when we are a really good team trading him to fill a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post

Because Molina has turned himself into a hitter. Anderson can't touch his arm or defense.

But they(thankfully) aren't going to trade Anderson for some rental or relief pitcher. He'll likely get packaged either this offseason or next. And he can help bring something very good in return.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post

Signed,
                          I'm sure a lot of our old banner-flying friends were griping when the Cards didn't trade for Ohman at the deadline, a day after being rumored as being the front runners the day before.

Of course, looking at Baseball Prospectus' list of "most similar pitchers", it would have been fun to watch their heads explode if the deal would have been made...

<< Will Ohman Similar Players
                          Close Window

Similar Pitchers
                          Compare Stats
                          1. Jeff Tabaka (986)
                          2. Bob MacDonald (985)
                          3. Matt Thornton (979)
                          4. Joe Klink (979)
                          5. Macay McBride (978)
                          6. Randy Choate (977)
                          7. Jaime Cerda (976)
                          8. Neal Cotts (976)
                          9. Valerio de los Santos (975)
                          10. Bill Landis (973) >>

Comment

Originally posted by Stan_Papi View Post
                            I'm sure a lot of our old banner-flying friends were griping when the Cards didn't trade for Ohman at the deadline, a day after being rumored as being the front runners the day before.

Of course, looking at Baseball Prospectus' list of "most similar pitchers", it would have been fun to watch their heads explode if the deal would have been made...

<< Will Ohman Similar Players
                            Close Window

Similar Pitchers
                            Compare Stats
                            1. Jeff Tabaka (986)
                            2. Bob MacDonald (985)
                            3. Matt Thornton (979)
                            4. Joe Klink (979)
                            5. Macay McBride (978)
                            6. Randy Choate (977)
                            7. Jaime Cerda (976)
                            8. Neal Cotts (976)
                            9. Valerio de los Santos (975)
                            10. Bill Landis (973) >>
                            lol like that matters to them. as long as it gives them something to bitch about against TLR and Co, they'll endorse anything, even trading for the next Tabaka.
                            Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain View Post

"Many things have changed about the St. Louis Cardinals' minor-league system since John Vuch took over in December 2006."

I guess John Vuch is the guy responsible for the accelerated pace of Cardinals' prospects. Is he the director of the farm system?

A.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X