NASA abandons plan to fly new spaceships by 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA abandons plan to fly new spaceships by 2013

NASA has abandoned plans to get its replacement for the retiring U.S. space shuttles into service by 2013 because of a lack of additional funds and technical issues, officials said on Monday.

The U.S. space agency had hoped to fly astronauts to the International Space Station aboard a new spaceship called Orion as early as September 2013, well before its formal deadline or goal of March 2015.

"The window of opportunity for us to accelerate Orion has closed," program manager Jeff Hanley at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston told reporters during a conference call.

The United States will be without a means to transport people to and from space after the shuttle fleet is retired in 2010 until the new ships are ready to fly. It intends to rely on Russia to ferry crews to the space station and on private companies to deliver cargo during the gap.

NASA had hoped to minimize the gap, but additional funding to do so has not been approved by the U.S. Congress.

The agency now hopes to be able to fly an Orion crew to the International Space Station by September 2014.

The delay will force NASA to renegotiate several contracts with companies developing equipment and providing services under the "Constellation" program, which has the overall goal of landing astronauts on the moon by 2020.

Prime contractors include Lockheed Martin Corp, which is developing the Orion spacecraft; and Alliant Techsystems' ATK Launch Systems; The Boeing Co; and Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, a United Technologies Corp company, which are working on new rockets.

Also involved are Oceaneering International, which is developing new spacesuits, and SGT Inc, which is providing support services.

(Reporting by Irene Klotz, editing by Michael Christie and Todd Eastham)
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080811/...space_orion_dc

Boooooo!

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
    +++

I have always loved the space program.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Just wait until President Obama gets going. He'll take our cool space ship money and piss away on the poor or something else just as stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
        Just wait until President Obama gets going. He'll take our cool space ship money and piss away on the poor or something else just as stupid.
        I wouldn't say fixing up the city of Houston stupid, but...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
          I wouldn't say fixing up the city of Houston stupid, but...
          We don't need know help from Obama or the government. We are paving the streets in gold bricks thanks to all that dirty oil money and turning the 8 lane highways into 12 lane highways.

Plus shit canning anything space related would hurt Houston. NASA has lots of office space in town.

Comment

NASA spent all their money designing swimmin suits and sending engineers to China.
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Constellation dead. Ares dead. Any travel by the United States in space beyond what Glenn did fifty years ago: dead.

Oh well. One day I'll get to sit in front of the TV with my daughter and watch a Chinese dude walk on the moon. That will be cool.
              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

I have no problem with this. The Space Shuttle and ISS didn't provide much bang for the buck. We get a lot more useful data from space telescopes and robots.

Comment

Well, there goes staying in the Army to go into the space program.

I don't think you can put too high a price on being the leading country for science and technology....and one way that is demonstrated is through the space program.

I think this is a horrible decision by Obama.
                  The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Comment

Originally posted by lasvegasreb View Post
                    I think this is a horrible decision by Obama.
                    You only got so much money to go around.

Unmanned probes are turning out to be much more reliable and cheaper.

Comment

The budget for NASA will increase by a billion dollars. Sending humans into space isn't necessary to advance science.

Comment

No, it's not necessary. It wasn't necessary to cross the Atlantic for the first time, either.

It is an inward focus like this that have traditionally brought empires (China, most notably) to their demise.
                        The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Comment

No, it's not necessary. It wasn't necessary to cross the Atlantic for the first time, either.

It is an inward focus like this that have traditionally brought empires (China, most notably) to their demise.
                          And overextension has brought countless others (like the Roman Empire) to their demise.

Moon

Comment

Our overextension certainly is not in exploration, science and technology.

That's our future.

Comment

Our overextension certainly is not in exploration, science and technology.

That's our future.
                              Overextension in terms of resources. When we are trillions of dollars in debt, sending people to the Moon seems a bit...frivolous. And manned space flight is not necessary to continue to lead in science and technology. Nor is this some capitulation of space to China or anyone else permanently.

Moon

Comment

Working...
                              X