Vista Giving Me Fits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vista Giving Me Fits

Got a new laptop during tax free weekend, it's an HP, 3 GB RAM, 200 GB hard drive, yada yada yada. Of course it's got Vista, with Internet Explorer preinstalled.

Every time I minimize a window or two, IE crashes, then restarts. I go to download Firefox, and before I can even get my mouse to the RUN / SAVE / CANCEL box under Downloads, IE crashes then restarts every time. I smell a conspiracy.

I just want my browser to stop shutting down like this. Help me Lounge Vista Slayer, you're my only hope.
    Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
    Jesus is . . .

Welcome to my week. A combination of Vista not loading and then my hard drive crashing has made me a shade irritable...
    The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Whenever you have two windows open running Internet Explorer, and you close one down, they both go down. Every. Single. Time.

Is there a patch for this?
      Jesus is . . .

Comment

This seems quite odd. Have you ran Windows Update?

If it were me -- and I am not saying this is a solution at all -- I'd run Windows Update and install all the updates available, then restart. If that doesn't fix it, I'd try and restore it to the factory settings with recovery disks.

If that didn't fix it, I'd return it.
        When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Vista is slightly less brutal than the new versions of Excel and Word. If you want to blow off steam, go to amazon.com and read the reviews on the new Word. No idea if Microsoft actually pays attention to this shit though.
          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy View Post
              Vista is slightly less brutal than the new versions of Excel and Word. If you want to blow off steam, go to amazon.com and read the reviews on the new Word. No idea if Microsoft actually pays attention to this shit though.
              I've been working my way through the new version of Word. The previous version (2003) was awesome. This one has been a pain, but it's getting easier. I figured I should go ahead and get used to it, because I figure the track will start using it in about seven years and I want to be ready. 'Course, our parent company figures if there have been no major glitches with Windows '97, why update?
              The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to change the print area in Excel the other day. Good times.
                Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Download Firefox on another machine to a jump drive. Pop the jump drive into the laptop and move the install file to the desktop of your laptop and install Firefox from there.

Moon

Comment

Word and Excel 2007 aren't bad at all.
                    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy View Post
                      I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to change the print area in Excel the other day. Good times.
                      I installed Office 2007 to the laptop when I got it. Still trying to get used to the new way they have it set up.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Blues View Post
                        Word and Excel 2007 aren't bad at all.
                        'Bad' might not be the best way to say it, but the interface is very different from previous versions and requires a bit of learning to get comfortable.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                          Download Firefox on another machine to a jump drive. Pop the jump drive into the laptop and move the install file to the desktop of your laptop and install Firefox from there.

Moon
                          Great idea. I am going to try this. Now to figure out how to do what you just said....
                          Jesus is . . .

Comment

The install file is a text document. Doesn't sound like the one I need. Any ideas which one it is?
                            Jesus is . . .

Comment

I just clicked on the Firefox file from the jump drive and Viola! I post right now from Firefox. Thanks Moon.
                              Jesus is . . .

Comment

Working...
                              X