Democratic Convention GDT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democratic Convention GDT

In just 2 weeks, Senator Obama will officially become the democratic nominee for President of the United States. Regardless of his politics, that says alot about how far our country has come in terms of race relations over the past few decades.

It appears that Hillary will not, however, go quietly into that good night. There's talk that she will demand to have her name put on the nomination requiring a roll call from all of the states. http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...ate_unity.html

Also, what impact will the "love child" story have on whether John Edwards is even allowed to speak? Does anyone else think that crystal clear photos of Edwards with child will suddenly emerge right before or during the convention?

Anyway, it was a really fun primary battle to watch. Here's to hoping the convention is just as interesting.
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Still waiting on the VP announcement. Methinks Tim Kaine is starting to wish he could shut up.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
      Still waiting on the VP announcement. Methinks Tim Kaine is starting to wish he could shut up.
      I hope it's Biden.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

I heard the theme of the Democratic convention is "Movin' On Up!"

Is this a good idea?
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

There was a poll recently which showed people are suffering from Obama fatigue. Just too much stuff in the media about him. In a cynical effort to pander to the latest whims of the public, Obama is going on vacation in Hawaii for a week.(my sarcasm)

from tpm:
          Today's Washington Post front-pages a piece featuring assorted D.C. Dems wringing their hands about Obama and saying that he's not hitting back hard enough against McCain's attacks.
          But it's worth recalling that late last year, in the run-up to the primaries, many of Obama's supporters were making similar noises and saying that Obama had to hit Hillary harder.

The Obama camp, of course, did start drawing a sharper contrast with Hillary, and his sense of timing proved to have been right. This isn't to say that Obama shouldn't be hammering back at McCain harder, just that it's possible that Obama and his advisers have a game plan in place and know what they're doing. Their pacing was pretty on target last time.

In the mean time, there has not been enough coverage of McCain. I hope that changes. The nation needs to get to know him better.

The New York Times has elaborated
          Last edited by kjoe; 08-07-2008, 11:19 AM.
          v

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52 View Post
            I hope it's Biden.
            He's the best one for the job but I hope he picks someone else.

I want him to lose.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

this is from a reader at tpm.

It can easily be dismissed without close analysis---something like "Obama is already too liberal---this would make it worse--Guaranteed loss". Even more frightening---if elected---they might actually do something liberal.

Scooped: Obama's VP Choice Solved!

By josephcast - August 7, 2008, 2:37PM
              Hmmmm. Well, it seems Obama is putting the press through the ringer on his VP decision. Recently, there was an excellent post by Al Giordano over at the Field on the subject of the vice presidency.

Essentially, his point in the blog was to point out that Obama is baiting the press, faking them out, saying "PSYCHE!" The point of the fake-outs: to keep the story going, to promote other politicians who deserve a spotlight, and to build up the excitement for the inevitable choice. I would also argue- to throw off the McCain campaign. Or as Giordano concludes (using basketball terminology as he did throughout this blog post):
              I could be wrong (and if I am, there's no shortage of asshats who will shout "Gotcha!" and proclaim it as proof that I'm overrated as a predictor of future events; well, who isn't?), but the hype around Bayh this week feels - to me - like the prelude to something else, to somebody else, as Obama's running mate: a pump fake to put the rival on his heels and set up the real shot, from outside the three point line.
              The "pump fake" of Bayh is also echoed by the earlier press frenzy over Kaine, according to Giordano. Giordano says he has no idea who the choice will be, but maintains they will chose an "outsider" to reinforce Obama's "change" meme. He says that a non-endorsement of Obama could even be a good thing. Giordano hints severely at Sebelius or Schweitzer (through reader's comments) getting the nod. Al Gore is also mentioned by his astute reader's.

I had a different take, the same take I've maintained for quite some time.

I have thought for over a year now that Senator Russ Feingold will be Obama's VP.
              I have thought this ever since the this Democratic Senate Press Conference on January 8, 2007.

I didn't know Obama was going to get the nomination, but I sure thought his was an effort to gain the Democrats and Obama some publicity.

During the press conference Feingold and Obama unveiled Ethics legislation part of which Bush signed into law. The Good Government Act, I believe. The bill put rules on bundlers (bundling being a hot topic now- see Hess Corporation and Harry Sergeant), lobbyists and corporate jets, etc. A minor victory. In any case this gives Obama and Feingold a record of having already changed Washington.

I thought the press conference seemed odd, a bunch of hubaloo for nothing, considering the legislation hadn't even passed yet. Basically, it was a big Democratic preamble for the election, I think. Getting the brand out there with lobbyist reform and cleaning up Washington. (Funny thing is Lieberman was there. If they only new...) However, the press conference offers great proof, with great photos, that Obama and Feingold have been changing Washington together for some time. It's a record the press can go back to. The fact there are great photos to go with it just adds to media saviness of it all.

Second, Caroline Kennedy is the VP vetter. Russ Feingold, along with John McCain were recipients of the John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage award for their work on McCain-Feingold. Caroline Kennedy was part of that decision and clearly she has a high regard for Feingold. I'm sure he is very much on her radar.

Kennedy could have even been placed on the committee to help legitimize the decision. Obama knowing he wanted Feingold, knowing Kennedy would draw the parallels of Obama, Feingold, and her father. Just as she had drawn the parallels of her father and Feingold, and her father and Obama previously.
              Third, the issues. Feingold has co-sponsored numerous bills that would help Senator Obama. He voted against the war, Patriot Act, FISA (bring in libertarians, independents), immigration bill. He has recently introduced the Use It or Lose It Oil Bill. The list goes on.
              Also, Feingold is a great public speaker. He is very intelligent and thoughtful when speaking. He explains complicated issues in a simple, easy to understand manner, as seen here. However, he speaks his mind and can speak forcefully, but I've never heard a gaffe. He'd be a great outspoken attack dog. Also, he has a plain and folksy delivery and loves to reference Wisconsin. He travels to each WI county (all 72) at least once a year.
              Clearly, he is popular with libertarians and Independents in Wisconsin. (2004 exit poll results here). Oh, and even Republicans admire his tenacity and his principles. Of course, he also reminds them of the McCain-Feingold bill, which they hate McCain for. Also, important is the possibility of campaign finance violations by the McCain campaign gaining tranction in the traditional media. Feingold would be great to have on hand in that event. Finally, he managed to grab some Bush voters in the 2004 election (5 to 6%).
              He is also a budget hawk, sits on the Select-Intelligence Committee (which is HUGE--privileged information), the Judiciary Comm, Budget Comm, and the Foreign Relations Comm, among others.
              The Select Comm. on Intelligence is really a big one. These Senators have had access to some of the knowledge that has been stinking up politics for the last 7 plus years (see FISA, scandals, etc).
              Finally, if you want an outsider, you've got one in Feingold.

I admit Schweitzer is a great choice as well for similar reasons. However, given some of the circumstantial evidence I have noticed over the last year and a half, all seems to point to Feingold.
              v

Comment

It will absolutely not be Feingold. It'll be one of Kaine, Sebelius or Bayh. He probably would've announced Kaine already if he could keep his mouth shut.

Comment

Here are the themes for each night of the dem convention:

Monday, August 25 -- "One Nation"
                  Monday's headline prime-time speaker will be Michelle Obama.

Tuesday, August 26 - "Renewing America's Promise"
                  Sen. Hillary Clinton will be the headline prime-time speaker on Tuesday night.

Wednesday, August 27 -- "Securing America's Future"
                  The vice presidential acceptance speech

Thursday, August 28 - "Change You Can Believe In"
                  Obama's acceptance speech

Just asking: Should we read anything into Wednesday's theme about Obama's veep pick? Hmmmmm.... On a conference call announcing these themes, however, Democrats said that night would be a salute to veterans.

*** UPDATE *** NBC/NJ's Matthew E. Berger has more: Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius today unveiled the themes for the four days of the Democratic National Convention, saying the four-day event in Denver will allow new people to participate through virtual town hall meetings. “We have plans not only to include voices not only from across American but people from across America who have never had the opportunity to participate before,” Sebelius said.

Citizens will be able to ask questions online or through “open calls” at eight swing-state cities that will be answered live at the convention.
                  On Monday night, the convention will kick off showcasing Obama as a “new leader ready to serve as president of the United States," Sebelius said. Michelle Obama was previously announced as the keynote speaker that night.

The focus will shift to economic challenges on Tuesday night, with Hillary Clinton as the keynote speaker. Media reports have suggested she will be introduced by her daughter, Chelsea.

Wednesday night will center around the contributions of veterans and foreign policy issues, raising the prospect that Obama’s vice presidential nominee will have a foreign policy background. Obama campaign adviser Anita Dunn said “anyone who Sen. Obama picks as vice president will be more than prepared to address those issues.”

Obama will officially accept the nomination at Invesco Field at Mile High on Thursday night.

Convention officials are expected to announce more details throughout the week, including when former President Bill Clinton will speak.
                  Dunn also confirmed that neither John Edwards nor his wife Elizabeth will address delegates in Denver.
                  http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/

Comment

When Chelsea introduces her mother on nation-wide tv on Tuesday, she will be wearing a t-shirt that says "McCain lied when he said Janet Reno is my real father". That will be more memorable than Hillary's speech.

It will help Obama with women voters. and Bill will feel vindicated.
                    v

Comment

No one on the shortlist has real foreign policy or military bonafides. Interesting.

Comment

No one on the shortlist has real foreign policy or military bonafides. Interesting.
                        oh shit...he's back.

Sketch in STL
                        Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

That's Obama's strong suit..haven't you heard?
                          Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Dunn also confirmed that neither John Edwards nor his wife Elizabeth will address delegates in Denver.

'Aw, hamburgers!'

Moon

Comment

Feingold?

Oh, please oh please.

Comment

Working...
                              X