• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wainwright's schedule changed; might return as closer

don-du-don-don

By Derrick Goold
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/07/2008

Adam Wainwright will begin his rehab assignment a day earlier than originally planned to prepare for the possibility he'll return to the majors as the Cardinals' closer.

Wainwright will start Friday night for the Cardinals' Class AAA affiliate in Memphis, and his rehab will be tailored for a relief pitcher — lower pitch counts, shorter and more frequent appearances. The decision to have Wainwright get ready to be a reliever dovetails with the promotion of rookie Chris Perez and a meeting Cardinals brass held Wednesday to address their ninth-inning emergency.

Wainwright had been set to start Saturday's game for Memphis before his schedule changed.

"We moved him up since he's probably going to come back as a reliever," general manager John Mozeliak said. "It's not set. There's a chance before he comes back that we have a solution and it's not a need. Then he'll come back as a starter. We want to be prepared. Right now, everything is on the table."

The impetus for sending Wainwright, who is recovering from a ruptured pulley in his right middle finger, out to rehab as a reliever and recalling Perez is, in part, Tuesday night's bullpen collapse.

Ryan Ludwick's 11th-inning home run Tuesday meant victory, but only after Jason Isringhausen allowed three runs and four hits in the ninth as the Los Angeles Dodgers rallied from a four-run deficit to tie the score. The Cardinals' 27 blown saves lead the majors and are seven short of the record since saves became an official stat in 1969.

Manager Tony La Russa declined to define his ninth-inning plan Wednesday, save to say it will be closer by committee.

"I'm going to look at the guys available and piece it together to the best of my ability," La Russa said. "There isn't anybody in that bullpen who isn't available for the ninth inning."

Perez went to Memphis to work on his slider and quickly returned to the closer role for the Redbirds. He worked 7 2/3 innings, fanning 16 and walking three. All five of the runs he allowed since being optioned out on July 18 came in one ugly outing. He had saves in three of his final four appearances. La Russa said the righthanded rookie will be in the mix for the ninth inning.

La Russa did not rule out Isringhausen closing wins, saying he wouldn't hesitate "using him in big situations." Ryan Franklin, who subbed as closer while Isringhausen was on the disabled list, also could get ninth innings with a lead, though La Russa couched that by saying he "expects that Ryan is going to pitch very late (in the game), when he's available."

All of the Cardinals' closing permutations were discussed in a meeting among La Russa, Mozeliak and pitching coach Dave Duncan on Wednesday. The topic was not just finding relief this season but also pitching personnel next season.

[email protected] | 314-340-8285

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Better than Izzy, but I think Adam is good starter.
    Photobucket

Comment

Is Muldew gonna come back as a starter?
      Official Lounge sponsor of Nick Plummer
      R.I.P. Rdog, davhaf

Comment

I want him as a starter.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
        -Barry Goldwater

Comment

um, uh, did i not see Chris Perez get 5 outs last night?
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

I'd rather send Looper back to the pen than Wainwright. He's a legitimate Ace. Now we have two of them. Why waste one for only 3 outs? I like the idea of heading down the stretch with Carp, Wainwright and Lohse as my top 3 starters.
            "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Boo...
              "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
              – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

This won't be necessary if Perez can claim the job in the meantime.

Everyone say their prayers.

Comment

The one major flaw in La Russa as a manager, IMO, is his inability to hand over a position to a young player. It's the one thing Whitey was brilliant at doing and La Russa is the complete polar opposite. It's massively frustrating and it's the main reason I didn't want Tony to return as the manager this year. Oh well, hopefully Perez will be lights out over the next week and TLR will have no choice but to put him in the closer role.
                  *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Well, it's not like Perez was Trevor Hoffman last time around.

Like Ruggie said, we have to hope he carpes the diem this time around and makes it a non-decision.

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
                      The one major flaw in La Russa as a manager, IMO, is his inability to hand over a position to a young player. It's the one thing Whitey was brilliant at doing and La Russa is the complete polar opposite. It's massively frustrating and it's the main reason I didn't want Tony to return as the manager this year. Oh well, hopefully Perez will be lights out over the next week and TLR will have no choice but to put him in the closer role.
                      Didn't I say roughly the same thing last week referring to the 'macho code'?

First Posnanski, now me...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
                        Is it worth the time to make a list?
                        Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                          Well, it's not like Perez was Trevor Hoffman last time around.

Like Ruggie said, we have to hope he carpes the diem this time around and makes it a non-decision.
                          Let's hope we can give him plenty of opportunities. Like three straight up north.

Comment

I don't think you folks are getting it. Of course, it would be preferable to have Wainwright start. But we've got starters who can keep us in ballgames. What we don't have is anyone -- and that includes Chris Perez -- who has shown they can get three outs in the ninth inning. Without that, it just doesn't matter how good Wainwright is as a starter -- unless you want to continue seeing what we've been seeing this year.

Those Loungers who want to win now should applaud this move. It's our best chance for this season.
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                              I don't think you folks are getting it. Of course, it would be preferable to have Wainwright start. But we've got starters who can keep us in ballgames. What we don't have is anyone -- and that includes Chris Perez -- who has shown they can get three outs in the ninth inning. Without that, it just doesn't matter how good Wainwright is as a starter -- unless you want to continue seeing what we've been seeing this year.

Those Loungers who want to win now should applaud this move. It's our best chance for this season.
                              If Perez can't do it, and there's no trade, yes, AW has to go to the pen.

Let's just hope TLR gives Perez as many blowups as he was willing to give Franklin and Izzy.

Comment

Working...
                              X