Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smart Persons: iTunes patch/Windows issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smart Persons: iTunes patch/Windows issue?

Has anyone heard of any known issues with the latest release of iTunes (version 7.7.1, released on 07/31/2008) and either Vista or XP?

I installed the update on 08/01/08 per the Apple Updater's request - I steered clear of the 'recommended' Safari download. Everything seemed just peachy for a while. I did not open iTunes after the update, but did use my PC that evening (had WMP playing a playlist during a get together most of the evening). At the end of the evening, I closed WMP and closed the laptop, leaving Windows Vista running. Later that night I opened my laptop and Windows would not wake up. I powered the laptop off, then turned it back on, and Vista hung at logon. I gave it five mins or so, then powered it off again. Told Vista to start normally, and it hung again. This time I gave it ten minutes before powering off, then back on and entering diagnostic mode.

MS' diagnostic tool reported that a 'software patch' was the cause of the problem. I performed a System Restore from 07/30 and was back up and running. iTunes was the only 'patch' I'd received after the restore point I chose.

Separately, I got a call from my mom on 07/31 that her PC hung at logon, too. She doesn't use iTunes, but does get QuickTimes and the Apple Updater for QT now installs both whether you want iTunes or not. I wonder, though I haven't been able to confirm yet, whether she installed an Apple update too. She's an XP user though, not Vista.

Is this a problem with my PC or is there a known issue with iTunes 7.7.1 and either Vista or XP?

TIA,

-RBB

That's what I have - installed that w/o Safari (I REALLY FUCKING WISH the updater would quit asking me to install that. I have no interest in it) as I always do, and I'm up and running fine.

I'm on XP, tho.
    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
      (I REALLY FUCKING WISH the updater would quit asking me to install that. I have no interest in it)
      ++

-RBB

Comment

Update - Just for giggles, I went ahead and rebooted my box. No problems coming back up.
        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
          Update - Just for giggles, I went ahead and rebooted my box. No problems coming back up.
          Thanks - appreciate the update. I did not giggle, however.

-RBB

Comment

I use Rhapsody partly for this reason. The majority of iTunes customers use Windows, yet they STILL fuck up the updates constantly. I gave up on iTunes about a year ago (though I guess I was never a heavy user).

Comment

Working...
            X