Now Obama wants the full delegations of Florida and Michigan to be seated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now Obama wants the full delegations of Florida and Michigan to be seated

Not that big of a deal really -- now that he's got the nomination wrapped up. It was, however, a big issue in the dem primaries, so this news is probably worthy of its own thread.

Obama pushes for full Fla., Mich. convention votes

Now that it's a technicality, Obama pushes for full votes for the two delegations.

He writes, in a letter to the chairs of the Credentials Committee:
    As we prepare to come together in Denver, however, we must be – and will be – united in our determination to change the course of our nation. To that end, Democrats in Florida and Michigan must know that they are full partners and colleagues in our historic mission to reshape Washington and lead our country in a new direction.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi....html#comments
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Two important states.

It isn't an issue at all.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
      Two important states.

It isn't an issue at all.
      Why weren't they important in March?
      "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

I'm less than dazzled so far by Obama's campaign post primary. He seems to have lost an edge and spends most of his time trying to placate whatever group he's in front of at the time.

Lucky he's running against a fossil and the legacy of the Bush administration.
        Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan View Post
          I'm less than dazzled so far by Obama's campaign post primary. He seems to have lost an edge and spends most of his time trying to placate whatever group he's in front of at the time.

Lucky he's running against a fossil and the legacy of the Bush administration.
          As opposed to running as a fossil against the Bush administration.
          "There is an old saying that goes 'no matter how good you are, there is always someone better.' That someone is me." - Chiun

I require the lubrication to successfully handle some of them. *sigh*- Sunuvanun

Matrem tuam pedicavi

"I kinda dig Johnson" -Triggercut

Comment

Originally posted by blue zone View Post
            Why weren't they important in March?

He. Wasn't. On. The. Ballot.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

This is simply not an issue.

When you are running a dead heat with your opponent, efforting to get the nomination, you aren't going to call for full seating of two HUGE states when you weren't on the ballot. Now, it's time to smooth things over for November.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
            -Barry Goldwater

Comment

So...just curious...those two states don't really get punished at all for jumping the gun, do they? Seems like this might cause more problems in the future, but it's an understandable move politically.
              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by blue zone View Post
                As opposed to running as a fossil against the Bush administration.
                I admire John McCain, at least the 2000 version of him. When did he get so old and so reactionary? I truly believe the John McCain of 2000 would beat Obama in this years election. The 2008 version, not so much.
                Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

It's not like this is a surprise, or not completely predictable right from the beginning. It was quite obvious from the get-go that once the nomination was settled that those delegations would be seated.
                  Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                    So...just curious...those two states don't really get punished at all for jumping the gun, do they? Seems like this might cause more problems in the future, but it's an understandable move politically.

They did. If the nomination would not have been determined, they would have not been seated.

They got lucky. But, I think they realize that if they continue to disobey the rules, they won't matter unless they don't matter.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

As for THE RULES, I sincerely hope in the future that the Iowa-New Hampshire duopoly is broken.
                      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                        He. Wasn't. On. The. Ballot.

Not sure why that is so hard to understand.

This is simply not an issue.

When you are running a dead heat with your opponent, efforting to get the nomination, you aren't going to call for full seating of two HUGE states when you weren't on the ballot. Now, it's time to smooth things over for November.
                        He was on the ballot in Florida.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                          As for THE RULES, I sincerely hope in the future that the Iowa-New Hampshire duopoly is broken.
                          Fine with me, too, but I think Michigan and Florida have proved that it doesn't matter what rules they come up with, some state will jump the gun and break them.
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                            I agree. I don't mind that small states go first, but why not rotate it around every presidential election cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52 View Post
                              He was on the ballot in Florida.

Irrelevant. He didn't campaign there. She did.

-Barry Goldwater

Comment

Working...
                              X