• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT - (L) Phillies (Blanton) @ Cardinals (Looper), 8.2.08, 6:15 PM

Ankiel itching to get back in lineup
    08/02/2008 12:13 AM ET
    By Lee Hurwitz / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- As he watches the Cardinals compete in a pennant race, all Rick Ankiel can do is sit idly and watch his team play.
    In the midst of a comeback no one could have seen coming, Ankiel's name will likely remain out of the lineup until the Dodgers come to town on Tuesday.

How much longer he stays out is unknown.

"He continues to improve," manager Tony La Russa said. "It's still an abdominal strain, but improving."

Ankiel has been limited to pinch-hitting since he suffered a lower abdominal strain on Saturday in New York. Running has been difficult, but if Ankiel heals well, La Russa said he expects the center fielder may start after the Cardinals' day off on Monday.

"We're just tracking him day-to-day," La Russa said.

Since July 10, Ankiel has been on an absolute tear. For the past 14 games, he has batted .389 with 13 RBIs and an OPS that makes stat geeks go crazy -- 1.069.

But his injury couldn't come at a worse time for the Cardinals. After playing against a vaunted Philadelphia lineup, the Redbirds entertain the Dodgers and newly acquired slugger Manny Ramirez for a three-game set. After that series, the Cards face the Cubs in Chicago and the Marlins in Florida.

Pitching matchup
    STL: RHP Braden Looper (10-8, 4.38 ERA)
    Looper faces a tough task in the hard-hitting Phillies, a team that made him labor three weeks ago. In that start, at Citizens Bank Park, Looper needed 112 pitches to go six innings. However, he's coming off a very solid game in Atlanta, a game in which he righted a recent problem -- the long ball. He didn't allow a home run against the Braves, after serving up 10 in his previous six starts. If he keeps it in the park, he should be fine.

PHI: RHP Joe Blanton (5-12, 5.13 ERA)
    Blanton's start against the Braves on Sunday was cut short when the game was delayed for two hours by rain. In two innings before the delay, the Phils' new addition surrendered two runs on three hits. Blanton will make his third start for the Phils against the Cardinals, a team he has not yet faced, having just joined the National League after 3 1/2 seasons with the Athletics.

Tidbits
    The Cardinals named Triple-A Memphis players Josh Phelps and Jason Motte their Player and Pitcher of the Month, respectively, on Friday. Phelps hit .337 with 14 home runs and 16 RBIs in July, while Motte went 1-0 with a 0.57 ERA in 13 games. ... In 59 games against the Phillies (one start), Looper is 2-5 with a 5.85 ERA. ... For his career, Looper is 8-8 with a 3.82 ERA in August. ... In 19 at-bats against Blanton, Adam Kennedy is batting .316 with four extra-base hits. Troy Glaus is the only other player on the Cardinals who has faced Blanton.

Tickets
    Buy tickets now to catch the game in person.

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • FSN-HD

On radio
    • KTRS 550

Up next
    • Sunday: Cardinals (Todd Wellemeyer, 8-4, 4.13) vs. Phillies (Brett Myers, 4-9, 5.46), 7:05 p.m. CT
    • Monday: Off-day
    • Tuesday: Cardinals (Chris Carpenter, 0-0, 2.25) vs. Dodgers (Chad Billingsley, 11-9, 3.05), 7:15 p.m. CT

From the SI.com Power Rankings (doesn't include last night's 0-4 game)

What's the most overlooked aspect of Albert Pujols' freakish offensive skill set? His savvy baserunning. At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, Pujols isn't very light on his feet. But he makes up for a lack of speed with an aggressive (and smart) approach on the bases. In Tuesday night's win, Pujols scored the go-ahead run in the eighth inning by doubling, stealing third base and advancing home on a wild throw. Of course, Pujols' fabulous baserunning gets lost in the shuffle when he's producing like he has been lately. Over the last six games, Pujols is batting .480 (12-for-25) with four home runs, 11 RBI and 10 runs.

Obviously Gennaro Filice doesn't read Cards Talk or he would know that bit about Bert's baserunning is bullshit...
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Blanton sucks. Should be an easy "W" for the Birds...
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Phelps hit .337 with 14 home runs and 16 RBIs in July
        That's can't be right, can it?
        Official Lounge Sponsor
        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post
          That's can't be right, can it?
          My first reaction too. Damn that's a lot of solo blasts.

edit: he had 36 RBIs in July.
          Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
          "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
            My first reaction too. Damn that's a lot of solo blasts.

edit: he had 36 RBIs in July.
            That makes sense. 36 RBI's in a month is a bit ridiculous. I would guess he'll at least make an appearance in September.
            Official Lounge Sponsor
            Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

I thought this was a day game. I was wrong.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Cause I'm at the game again I must do this in advance... FUCK YOU CSD!!!!!!!!!
                Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
                  Cause I'm at the game again I must do this in advance... FUCK YOU CSD!!!!!!!!!
                  That's what Here Comes The King is for.

Comment

I sat in front of some Phillie fans last night. They were expecting Cole to rake last night.

Comment

Bastards, all of you.
                      Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                        I sat in front of some Phillie fans last night. They were expecting Cole to rake last night.
                        He hasn't pitched well his last 4 or 5 games.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD View Post
                          He hasn't pitched well his last 4 or 5 games.
                          yeah, he's on my fantasy team in your league. his era was swelled in a few recent games.

he is really skinney.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD View Post
                            Bastards, all of you.
                            Here comes the king, here comes the big number one!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                              yeah, he's on my fantasy team in your league. his era was swelled in a few recent games.

he is really skinney.
                              Yeah, I don't think he eats cheesesteaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X