Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Official 2008 Summer Olympics thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The Official 2008 Summer Olympics thread

    Pin please.

    Beijing Summer Olympics begin August 8 through August 24.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

    "Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

  • #2
    I wonder if the Chinese Communist Party is allowing people in their country to see the Lounge.

    They should shoot a Tibetan dissident for every medal they win.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

    "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

    Comment


    • #3
      Two Des Moines kids -- Shawn Johnson and Lolo Jones -- both favorites to win a Gold Medal. Who woulda thunk it?

      BTW, somebody should post a Lolo Jones photo. She's fantastic.
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
      --Albert Einstein

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
        Two Des Moines kids -- Shawn Johnson and Lolo Jones -- both favorites to win a Gold Medal. Who woulda thunk it?

        BTW, somebody should post a Lolo Jones photo. She's fantastic.


        Also, I have the persistent bad feeling that something large is going to explode at these Olympics.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Maverick View Post


          Also, I have the persistent bad feeling that something large is going to explode at these Olympics.
          Thanks for the photo. And don't worry -- bad things rarely happen in totalitarian states. They keep an eye on things.
          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
          --Albert Einstein

          Comment


          • #6
            This ain't getting pinned...

            "Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
              Thanks for the photo. And don't worry -- bad things rarely happen in totalitarian states. They keep an eye on things.
              From Wiki

              She is of French, Native American, African-American, and Norwegian descent. She is also actively involved in Christian Ministry and attends Healing Place Church in Baton Rouge.

              I think what they wanted to say was fine as all get out and a Christian to boot.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

              Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

              2017 BOTB bracket

              Comment


              • #8
                Forza Azzurrini!!!!!

                Italia's taking the gold in football!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Maverick View Post


                  Also, I have the persistent bad feeling that something large is going to explode at these Olympics.
                  Never hear anything about Jones, KBF...only Shawn. Where is Jones from? What event and what school did she attend in the area?
                  "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

                  "Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 007 View Post
                    This ain't getting pinned...
                    For clarification, why not? Instead of simply saying something ain't happening, please offer your reasoning.
                    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

                    "Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Legionarivs XIII View Post
                      Forza Azzurrini!!!!!

                      Italia's taking the gold in football!!!!

                      I'm picking the Colts..
                      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

                      Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

                      Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

                      Bill Walton

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by slow groove View Post
                        Never hear anything about Jones, KBF...only Shawn. Where is Jones from? What event and what school did she attend in the area?
                        She's from Des Moines (technically, Shawn is from West Des Moines.) Attended Roosevelt High School in Des Moines and LSU. Has worked her tail off -- and basically had to beg for money to keep training off when she was younger. Seems to have put it all together this year.

                        I'm being very parochial here, but she is truly an impressive person. All the money she made at a recent track meet -- it might have been the Olympic tryouts -- she gave to a single mother whose home was lost in the recent flooding. America needs to know more about her. She's great.
                        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                        --Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                          She's from Des Moines (technically, Shawn is from West Des Moines.) Attended Roosevelt High School in Des Moines and LSU. Has worked her tail off -- and basically had to beg for money to keep training off when she was younger. Seems to have put it all together this year.

                          I'm being very parochial here, but she is truly an impressive person. All the money she made at a recent track meet -- it might have been the Olympic tryouts -- she gave to a single mother whose home was lost in the recent flooding. America needs to know more about her. She's great.
                          You writing Bob Costas' copy this year?
                          Sketch in STL
                          Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

                          I'M WITH HILLARY!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sketch View Post
                            You writing Bob Costas' copy this year?
                            The only thing missing is the tinkling of piano keys....
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                              The only thing missing is the tinkling of piano keys....
                              "Hello everybody, we hope you enjoyed that 37-minute biographical profile of Shawn Johnson from Des Moines. While you were watching, the U.S. men's basketball team was eliminated and some dude won the decathlon. After this commercial break, we'll be back with a 25-minute profile of Shawn Johnson's friends."
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

                              "This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X