Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Airshark: MS Nails the Vista Naysayers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • For Airshark: MS Nails the Vista Naysayers

    Microsoft Tricks Diehard XP Users Into Liking Vista with "Mojave" Ruse

    Turns out some of Vista's strongest critics may not even know what they're criticizing.

    Microsoft, the reigning OS king, has received more than its share of criticism for Windows Vista. The OS, which suffered both from poor initial hardware compatibility and from relatively large resource demands has been shunned by many of the largest players in the business community. Some have come out in vocal support of Vista, arguing against those who feel Vista is broken an XP downgrade might be in order.
    These supporters got a little more ammo to back their arguments thanks to a comical experiment put on by Microsoft. As part of its new PR efforts, which include "anti-Mac Guy" commercials, Microsoft conducted a top secret experiment known as the "Mojave" Experiment.

    Inspired by an employee email from Microsoft's David Webster, the Vista team gathered over 120 XP users in San Francisco who were critical of Windows Vista. After being questioned on video about their Vista impressions, Microsoft told them it was giving them a stunning opportunity -- the chance to view their secret operating system they had been cooking up, codenamed "Mojave". The excited users showed great enthusiasm for the new operating system, with over 90 percent giving positive feedback of the 10 minute demo of the system.

    The comic twist is that there is no "Mojave" and it wasn't a pre-release version of Windows 7. "Mojave" was simply a fictitious title applied to a standard Windows Vista install. Interestingly, the XP users seemed utterly unable to recognize Vista or its features, despite criticizing it. Remarked one user on the new features, "Oh wow!"

    While it has been pointed out that the experience neglects to consider installation and networking setup, the "Mojave" experiment provides a strong case for the upsides of Vista analogous to the classic blind taste test advertising gimmick. While Microsoft is still deliberating on how to incorporate the footage into its advertising campaigns, suffice it to say, it is coming soon.

    Windows unit business chief Bill Veghte says big efforts are needed to step up Microsoft's image against competitors like Apple and Google. He states, "We have a huge perception opportunity. We are going to try a bunch of stuff."

    Mr. Veghte points to the "Assurance" campaign for Vista launched earlier this month which offers free technical phone support for the first time. While the move will likely cost Microsoft in the millions, many believe it will help Microsoft show that it is willing to support Vista fully, including when users encounter trouble.

    Footage for the campaign was first revealed last week. The site which they will be featured on is here. The footage will be released to the public on Tuesday of this week.
    However, trouble in Vista Mr. Veghte asserts, is a rarity and the main problem for the OS is perception. Mr. Veghte is known to stew over Apple commercials on his morning jogs. His decision to encourage Microsoft to commit to the massive new PR effort was finally solidified when he decided that Apple had "crossed a line" from factual to fallacious accusations. Marketing vice president Brad Brook echoed similar sentiments, stating that Microsoft would be "drawing a line in the sand'

    Steve Ballmer, Microsoft CEO also shares these feelings, stating, "In the weeks ahead, we'll launch a campaign to address any lingering doubts our customers may have about Windows Vista. And later this year, you'll see a more comprehensive effort to redefine the meaning and value of Windows for our customers."

    However, at the end of the day the Mojave ruse may prove a more valuable marketing tool than anything Mr. Ballmer or Mr. Veghte could say or do on their own, as it’s the voice of everyday users.

    With rival Apple showing strong signs of hardware growth, fueled by its virulent advertising campaign, which many call factually questionable, Microsoft has decided to step up to the plate to challenge its assertions. Mojave should be a key effort in this new campaign. Mr. Veghte believes that the Vista team cannot wait for Windows 7 to change their fortune; they must attack now. He states, "I've got to start having that discussion in the marketplace. I've got to start driving that now. People feel guilty (about Vista). It's wrong."

    Don't be surprised if you start seeing Microsoft "Mojave" commercials coming soon to a television near you.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

  • #2
    We use Vista at work...it's not that bad.

    I won't be switching my home machines to it unless 'forced" to, however.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's a valid point. I have never bought an OS for a computer I have.

      I have always bought a new PC that had the new installed OS on it later, or borrowed it (in the case of Win95.)
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 210 View Post
        We use Vista at work...it's not that bad.

        I won't be switching my home machines to it unless 'forced" to, however.
        you should load Mojave onto your home machines.
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

        Comment


        • #5
          The only reason they would have to do this...and advertise the fact is because it's already a complete and total failure.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

          Former Lounge Sponsor of:
          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BringBackZezel View Post
            The only reason they would have to do this...and advertise the fact is because it's already a complete and total failure.
            for some reason i have a very sudden urge to bumb the ps3/wii/xbox 360 thread
            ricky, shutup and paint your god damn house.

            Comment


            • #7
              Why?
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

              Comment


              • #8
                I don't love it...but I'm not downgrading to XP.

                Mojave. HA...that's funny.
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.


                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BringBackZezel View Post
                  The only reason they would have to do this...and advertise the fact is because it's already a complete and total failure.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Very amusing, but sadly, not very surprising. It's obvious just reading the Vista-bashing that most people doing it have little or no experience with it.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I just bought a laptop with Vista on it, so this is my first experience with Vista. I've only had it for a week, but I already am getting errors in Windows Explorer. I'm not doing anything unusual, just trying to install software. And I'm not trying to install software from an unknown vendor either, just Microsoft Money. It does not work with Vista. Granted, it is old (Money 2000 Standard), but wouldn't you think Microsoft's own software would work on their operating system?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                        I just bought a laptop with Vista on it, so this is my first experience with Vista. I've only had it for a week, but I already am getting errors in Windows Explorer. I'm not doing anything unusual, just trying to install software. And I'm not trying to install software from an unknown vendor either, just Microsoft Money. It does not work with Vista. Granted, it is old (Money 2000 Standard), but wouldn't you think Microsoft's own software would work on their operating system?
                        No. What errors are you getting? If it's Money 2000, that may means it was released in 1999, which might mean it has a 16-bit installer. Vista doesn't run 16-bit apps. There aren't too many that aren't games, but you may have found one.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                          No. What errors are you getting? If it's Money 2000, that may means it was released in 1999, which might mean it has a 16-bit installer. Vista doesn't run 16-bit apps. There aren't too many that aren't games, but you may have found one.
                          It works when I open that sample MNY file, but not when I try to create a new MNY file or restore from a backup. It never gave me a problem on Windows 2000. The error says the file is read only. I'm signed on as the administrator, and have changed the folder to not be read only, but it resets itself back to read only. There is a patch for this with the newer versions of Money, but not Money 2000.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                            It works when I open that sample MNY file, but not when I try to create a new MNY file or restore from a backup. It never gave me a problem on Windows 2000. The error says the file is read only. I'm signed on as the administrator, and have changed the folder to not be read only, but it resets itself back to read only. There is a patch for this with the newer versions of Money, but not Money 2000.
                            If there's a patch, it implies an error in Money's file handling. What can I say - Vista is revealing a flaw in the application, not the other way around. Time to get a new version of Money and import.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Airshark View Post
                              If there's a patch, it implies an error in Money's file handling. What can I say - Vista is revealing a flaw in the application, not the other way around. Time to get a new version of Money and import.
                              I bought a new version of Quicken. So far, so good.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X